Old 08-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Stringtheorist
Human being with feelings

Default 4GB not enough RAM?

I've been experiencing problems playing some of my EastWest libraries recently after working on a project for around an hour. I get an error message telling me my available RAM is low. Unfortunately, rather than buy a new computer in preparation I instead upgraded my existing iMac (which included maxing the RAM to 4GB). After spending over £800 on upgrades I hope I'm not going to find that I need to buy a new Mac after all!!
Stringtheorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
mrelwood

Depending on the precise model, the memory may be upradeable up to 16GB.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringtheorist View Post
I've been experiencing problems playing some of my EastWest libraries recently after working on a project for around an hour. I get an error message telling me my available RAM is low. Unfortunately, rather than buy a new computer in preparation I instead upgraded my existing iMac (which included maxing the RAM to 4GB). After spending over £800 on upgrades I hope I'm not going to find that I need to buy a new Mac after all!!
Do you get a warning from Reaper, or from the OS? Reaper's warning is user-definable, and I think the default is to warn you at 1800 MB of ram use. With 4GB, you should be able to bump that threshold up a bit. The test would be - after you get a warning, add some memory hungry plugins. Does it crash? No >> raise the warning threshold.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Stringtheorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Do you get a warning from Reaper, or from the OS? Reaper's warning is user-definable, and I think the default is to warn you at 1800 MB of ram use. With 4GB, you should be able to bump that threshold up a bit. The test would be - after you get a warning, add some memory hungry plugins. Does it crash? No >> raise the warning threshold.
The warning is in the (EastWest) plugin.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Stringtheorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Depending on the precise model, the memory may be upradeable up to 16GB.
Mine's a mid-2007 model.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Yep, if you plan on using EW, you need more RAM for sure.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
dood2112

Agreed
EW pre loads all the samples in Kontakt, you can try loading smaller instruments in the library, but..... I don't remember right off the bat where, but in Kontact's settings you can limit ram usage, which may help, but won't cure the issue.

More RAM
Do what you wanna, do what you will, Just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill, 'N when you pay the bill, kindly leave a little tip, And help the next poor sucker on his one way trip. ~ Frank Zappa, "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing"
dood2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
TimOBrien

4gb is for running the os and office-type programs.
It's kinda like having 2gb on a Windows machine.

Audio and video is far more demanding.
Sample libraries really need a lot of ram, otherwise they'll stream from disk and that's slower.

First thing I did when I got my iMac was spend $45 for an 8gb upgrade giving me 12gb total and the sucker is flying.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Stringtheorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
4gb is for running the os and office-type programs.
It's kinda like having 2gb on a Windows machine.

Audio and video is far more demanding.
Sample libraries really need a lot of ram, otherwise they'll stream from disk and that's slower.

First thing I did when I got my iMac was spend $45 for an 8gb upgrade giving me 12gb total and the sucker is flying.
I can't increase my RAM any further, as mine is a mid-2007 model. It's maxed out.

If I'd known I was going to have problems I would have spent the money on a new Mac rather than upgrades. Hence this post:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=107903