Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default arch experience (possible broken) updates?

@Jack Winter
Hi Jack, what is your experiences with (possible broken) updates incl. AUR packages ... does it happen often?
I'll probably switch to manjaro KDE soon and I have to use following possible problem packages:
- linux-rt-manjaro-nvidia-435xx
- wineasio
- wine-staging
- cadence
- xorg-xinput
- ntfs-3g
Manjaro KDE (5.4-rt) AMD FX-8350, 16GB, GT 630 (nvidia-440), Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
SmajjL

Manjaro was so close to perfect for me until I started messing with WINE-something.
Got "Your OS is not supported" when trying to install something Native Instruments.
Did not spend much time after that with it, could be me/my bad but I sure don't get that msg on Ubuntu/Mint doing the same exact thing.

And then in my eye I get Ubuntu (News) that they had a 32-bit support fight and Steam stopped working ofc, think they gave-in for the time being, maby works now.. think WINE people was not happy about the dropping 32-bit support either.

Not been on Linux for a while now though and things change/updates, maby time for another SchmajjL Linux adventure?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Jack Winter

Well I've never ran Manjaro.

I don't think you'll have problems with packages from the AUR, though AFAIK Wineasio is broken (and I'm too lazy to fix it) It broke with a relatively recent change to Wine. You could build something that would work if you installed an older version of Wine via the AUR.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Well I've never ran Manjaro.

I don't think you'll have problems with packages from the AUR, though AFAIK Wineasio is broken (and I'm too lazy to fix it) It broke with a relatively recent change to Wine. You could build something that would work if you installed an older version of Wine via the AUR.
currently, I use LINvst (latest) with KDE Neon & wine-staging 4.19, wineasio & cadence was installed via KXstudio sources, I get an error message too when running:
Code:
regsvr32 wineasio.dll
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 4.19 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0022:fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x19cff0, filter=0xcafed8,flags=0x00000005) returns a fake device notification handle!
but after all it shows wineasio.dll as registered ...
In Reaper "devices" wineasio is not shown, so I guess it's not working anymore w/ staging 4.19.
The VST plugins working well via linvst ... so do I really need wineasio?
Manjaro KDE (5.4-rt) AMD FX-8350, 16GB, GT 630 (nvidia-440), Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII

Last edited by monty; 11-11-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Jack Winter

You don't need wineasio at all for the linux version of reaper! You could use it if you run the windows version in wine.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
You don't need wineasio at all for the linux version of reaper! You could use it if you run the windows version in wine.
thanks, that was the point ... so far everything works in my manjaro KDE test installation except winasio, so I will not have to install it ;-)