Old 04-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Sample 1904 Heintzman 9' grand?

I've been piano shopping this month, so I'm kinda having some bonkers ideas.

I recently came across this story from a few years back:

https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...-vintage-grand

Basically it details a 1904 Heintzman 9' grand piano that used to live at Massey Hall in Toronto. For those of you who aren't aware, Heintzman & Co. were Canada's answer to Steinway. In fact, they competed directly against Steinway in the late 19th/early 20th century piano market in North America.

This particular Heintzman concert grand is rare. The company's main trade was in high-end uprights and smaller 6' grands. All lovely instruments. My family had a Heintzman upright that we all learned play.

The concert grand in the link is very rare and requires lots of upkeep due to its age.

I recently discovered pianobook.co.uk and wondered how difficult it would be to sample the Ottawa Heintzman. I had a thought that providing a virtual instrument of the piano for a nominal fee might provide the church with a revenue stream for the piano's upkeep.

I've not approached the music director about sampling the piano because I know nothing about sampling instruments. I was hoping to get some idea from the more experienced among you about how difficult a task this would be. I can't think it's that tough if a person knew what he was doing. From the pianobook website, the instructions seem pretty straightforward for at least recording the samples. The subsequent creation of the virtual instrument would be another task altogether.

Thoughts?

Last edited by kirk1701; 04-30-2019 at 01:23 PM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:21 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi. This would be a great way to learn a lot about recording, VSTi requirements and audio processing to say nothing of project management and negotiation skills! So yes it's bonkers! I love bonkers ideas so here's a couple of ideas.
I found this:
https://omegastudios.com/5-steps-sample-instrument/
which looks to give sound and structured advice. Each stage has challenges as you would suppose ? eg have you access to studio quality mics etc? But there would be plenty of help out there on each stage I am sure.

Another random thought I had were these two sources. The first is academic and has done some pretty good work already in this area (free to use BTW) and may be willing to assist possibly? (More negotiation skills!)
http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html

The other is a wild card but LABS have been releasing some incredible free stuff recently alongside very well regarded commercial offerings. They probably would want control of the project but they seem to have a great approach in all sorts of ways.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

I should say my expertise in this area is pretty non-existent really having only dabbled in producing samples for use in REASON so feel free to disregard all the above!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
kirk1701

I'm glad I'm not the only big, bonkers thinker, lol!

Well, pianobook.co.uk is a Spitfire endeavour, so that's probably the approach to take.

However, I would like to collaborate on this if at all possible. Maybe I should just reach out to the church's music director, who is in charge of the piano and see what he thinks.

I simply want to have a sampled version of this piano as an alternative to the Steinways and Bosendorfers we usually see. This Heintzman is equal in quality to those pianos.