Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
svijayrathinam
Human being with feelings

Default Nuendo's Clip Package like feature in reaper

Hi All,

I am a fairly new user to Reaper. I have been enjoying this software ever since I started using this. This is definitely a very powerful system. I have used Nuendo in the past and currently also use Protools. I am a sound effects editor predominantly working in protools. I started looking into Reaper as I found that my design work would benefit a lot with the reaper workflow.

Now coming to the point, in Nuendo there is a feature called clip packages, where you can archive a bunch of constructed items for which Nuendo makes a bounce file and stores it in the desired location of the hard drive. This clip package can be auditioned in the media bay and can be inserted into project along with automation FX etc. Is this currently possible in Reaper ? If so can someone please explain how I do this ?

Also is it possible to export an AAF from Reaper to go into protools ?

P.S: I am running reaper on a mac.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
svijayrathinam

Thank you Very much for the reply. Sub Projects is a great way to handle things. But is it possible to audition a sub project from the media explorer ? Is it possible to save a subproject along with the audio files in a new location ? Is it possible to import one subproject created for "X" session into an "Y" session ?

I will surely check out AA Translator.Thank you.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
svijayrathinam

Also I tried the AATranslator. I couldnt get my head around installing it..Wouldnt it be a lot easier if reaper supports AAF export and import natively ?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Also I tried the AATranslator. I couldnt get my head around installing it..Wouldnt it be a lot easier if reaper supports AAF export and import natively ?
The steps for installing on a Mac are more involved than simply installing on a PC but the instructions are quite detailed.
Feel free to contact me directly if you are having trouble installing.

You would be better off exporting stems than bothering with AAF.

Although the AAF container format is a 'standard', the methods of describing data within the container are not and everyone has a slightly different way of doing things within the container.
While OMF is literally a format within a container format. AAF is much worse because it is a format within a container within a structured storage format.
This is just one reason why supporting one or more AAF 'standards' would be a very quick way of chewing up valuable development and support resources.

AAF barely supports basic clip position, whereas a conversion directly to/from PTX supports stereo, bpm, fade shapes, markers and a host of other features none of which AAF supports.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
svijayrathinam

Is there a way to audition subprojects from the media explorer without actually opening them?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
Runaway

No that's not possible
Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
Runaway

My mistake I assumed he was talking about AAT
Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaud View Post
Absolutely.

You can even drag select just a portion of the SubProject in the Media Explorer, audition just that selection, and then drag-drop that selection in to a new Project (which then provides region handles to expand this selection as required within the new Project if the selection is too narrow).
Thank you Very much for the help. This is a great functionality. But what would be really helpful for me is an option to bring back all the source tracks instead of the rendered file into the project. What I would like to do is the following.

1. I construct ambience/Backgrounds for many scenes of "XXX" film (Cold wind ambience, Deserts, City traffic.etc...)
2. Export those tracks as different sub projects for archival.
3. When I have a similar requirement for Scene A of "YYY" film, I would go to media explorer
4. Audition bunch of subprojects and drag a relevant one into the timeline
5. It should then bring in all the tracks from that Sub project into the main project of "YYY" Film including FX, Automations, Clip FX, Clip FX Automation etc...

What do you suggest the easiest way to do this ?

As I understand, currently you can only move selected tracks to sub project. This way I am loosing all the layers in my current project as it only brings in a rendered file and moves all my layers into a sub project. Which is not really handy..

I hope I made things clear.

Please help...
Old 06-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaud View Post
When dragging in the Sub-Project in to a new Project from the Media Explorer, Reaper treats it as a single audio clip on the timeline.

Double click that audio clip and the original Sub-Project will open automatically. All automation, effects, et cetera are available to tweak in the Sub-Project as required, hit save, Reaper renders the SubProject, and all changes now reflect in the Main Project.

This works slightly differently to Nuendo's implementation, but it is ultimately the same functionality. The Reaper method is perhaps more flexible and ensures a much tidier Main Project.

Just understand that Reaper has its own implementation, and you'll have to learn its way of working, instead of expecting Reaper to be exactly like Nuendo.
Thank you for your swift reply. I have already tried this. The problem with this for me is the fact that the rendered file sits in the session. I am not exactly a Nuendo user. Infact I use protools as well as Nuendo and now reaper. But eventually in my workflow I have to deliver things as protools session. So what I do now is the following.

1. I edit some stuff in reaper and some stuff in protools.
2. Upon completion of editing in reaper, I render them out using the region render Matrix and take them into protools.
3. Once taken into protools I do my surround pans and some reverbs inside protools. ( Some reverbs are printed when I render stuff from reaper .. For example reverb for a distant dog bark..I print such reverbs in reaper on to the file itself). In protools I am doing Foley reverbs and reverbs for hard fx etc.

This is my workflow.

So it's difficult to render out stems from reaper if it only allows me to use a pre rendered file of a subproject into my main session.

What I like about reaper is it's open endedness. I figured out there is multiple ways to do the same thing which is great and unlike any other DAW.

So having a feature to export as sub project and not just moving into sub project as it is right now would really help to preserve hours of scene construction time. I can use the pre constructed sound as a starting point on another scene.. and still render out stems if reaper allows just another option to import the source files into project from a sub project.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
svijayrathinam

Actually I find track templates if saved with media items and envelopes helps me for my workflow. But sadly with track templates it's not possible to audition a rendered mix. 😂
Old 06-30-2017, 04:22 AM   #11
snooks
Banned

You can copy/paste tracks between projects, so instead of dragging the subproject into your project, if you like you can open it up in a new project tab (right click menu in Media Explorer). Then select the tracks you want and copy/paste them into your main project.

Having said that, converting a subproject in place into its constituent tracks is a great idea and should be scriptable. So would embedding Track Templates in wav file metadata. I think the auto-preview and rendering of subprojects makes it the better option.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
You can copy/paste tracks between projects, so instead of dragging the subproject into your project, if you like you can open it up in a new project tab (right click menu in Media Explorer). Then select the tracks you want and copy/paste them into your main project.

Having said that, converting a subproject in place into its constituent tracks is a great idea and should be scriptable. So would embedding Track Templates in wav file metadata. I think the auto-preview and rendering of subprojects makes it the better option.
Exactly, But I also find track templates very fast than subprojects. Also having the ability to select items of the selected tracks within a time selection or a region marker to export as a track template would be very handy.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
snooks
Banned

It the rendering part that would be slower though, because you can't do that with scripting at the moment. I was going to do a script to do that ages ago, but that was the stumbling block that made it not worth it. I'd fully support such a feature request though.

At the moment, there's an action "Track: Move tracks to subproject". That could be used with a macro or another script to do what you want I think.

If a kind member of the forum can help with the minor/major issue I'm having with the script I wrote it'll be easy to play around (once it's safe) to see what's missing.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193473
Old 06-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
snooks
Banned

Here's a working script...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....90#post1860790