Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-10-2021, 04:36 AM   #1
MixR
Human being with feelings

Default Is it possible to punch in automation to a time selection?

One of the features I have been using extensively in Pro Tools in the past is punching in automation to a specific time selection.

Let's say I want to perform a very quick volume ride in a tight spot. I would make the time selection, set automation mode to "touch" and roll from a position prior to the time selection.

Whilst playing I would move the fader to the correct position and Pro Tools would then write the volume/ride but only during the time selection.
I tried this with Reaper but Reaper starts writing automation as soon as I touch the fader.

Is there any way to achieve what I would like to do?
I should say that I am using a control surface which is, for me, the most natural way of writing automation (at least volume).
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
bigtop

Pls watch the Kenny Gioia videos on Envelopes and automation. He explains differences between Read Touch Latch and Write, one of is the one you want
Old 09-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
Pls watch the Kenny Gioia videos on Envelopes and automation. He explains differences between Read Touch Latch and Write, one of is the one you want
Thanks - that is a helpful video but doesn't address my question.

I suppose what I am looking for is an equivalent of "Time Selection Auto Punch" but for automation.

The problem I am describing in my original post is workflow related and not related to my understanding of automation modes (or lack thereof).

Another example to illustrate the problem: Let's say I have ridden my fader in the verse and am now coming up to riding levels in the chorus. I would like Reaper to start recording automation once it plays back past the beginning of the time selection. If I need to do a fast ride at the entry to the chorus I will end up messing up my automation pass in the verse as Reaper will start recording automation as soon as I touch the fader.

That could be avoided if Reaper could be told to punch in automation in the time selection only - unless I am mistaken this was not covered in the video. It may not even be possible in which case I will create a feature request.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Fergler

One solution would be a script that turns on global automation latch mode when inside a time selection
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:54 AM   #5
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
One solution would be a script that turns on global automation latch mode when inside a time selection
Thank you, I will look into this but not quite sure how and where to start tbh. I am code illiterate.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #6
Thunderfinger

You can do this with preview mode. Switch the tracks you want to automate to Preview mode in the automation window,make your time selection, make the changes you want in your FX and levels, and use the action: write current values for actively writing envelopes to time selection.
Thunderfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixR View Post
Thank you, I will look into this but not quite sure how and where to start tbh. I am code illiterate.
Action markers?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfinger View Post
You can do this with preview mode. Switch the tracks you want to automate to Preview mode in the automation window,make your time selection, make the changes you want in your FX and levels, and use the action: write current values for actively writing envelopes to time selection.
Thank you, I already use that action with latch and it is a good way to get static levels written fast.
Unfortunately, that action only works with write or latch modes (kind of logical) but not touch so I end up with a static level and not the moves I intended.

What I would need is an action such as at time selection/edit cursor set track automation mode to write/latch/touch.

I will try this workaround:
  • write automation to one section
  • apply volume envelope to trim envelope clear volume envelope (this will help me separate the envelope points I might be writing by accident when touching the fader before the time selection start)
  • go to next section, write automation via touch
  • select and delete unintended envelope points written before time selection start.
a little bit cumbersome but there are two useful scripts by cfillion
  • Script: cfillion_Delete points before the edit cursor in the selected envelope.lua
  • Script: cfillion_Delete points outside of the time selection in selected envelope.lua
Old 09-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #9
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Action markers?
OK, quick search got me here:
https://reaperaccessibility.com/inde...Marker_Actions
Are you suggesting something along the lines of at marker x switch track automation mode to touch?

How could I implement that so it doesn't become immensely complicated or requires endlessly having to toggle on/off marker actions?

It sounds intriguing and looks like a very interesting thing to learn about. I am beginning to fear that I am too old to ever becoming a Reaper whizz.