Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
K8ch
Human being with feelings

Default 2nd drive: Which files can go on the D: drive?

Hi everyone,

Please let me know if I'm wrong about how I'm thinking about all this!

I'm devoting my PC (quad core, 12gb ram) to be a dedicated specifically to music production.
I installed a second hard drive in it.
The OS and Reaper are on the C: drive.

I want to free up as much space on the C: drive, as possible, so it will run its best.
So, I'm moving many files as possible, over to the D: drive.
Does this make sense?

Here's my question:
Are there specific types of files that are best kept on the, "C:" drive?
What about VST's, samples and sound fonts?
Are those the best kept on the "C:" drive, in order to speed up the load/access time?

Or...
Does Reaper load everything from it's respective locations when it's loading a song -which means that it doesn't matter where the sounds/samples/soundfonts are?

What about Kontact libraries? Can I put them on the D: drive?

Thank you in advance, for any recommendations you can make.
I appreciate it very much.

Peace,
K8ch

Last edited by K8ch; 07-12-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: easier to see titile
K8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
I have a computer dedicated specifically to music production.
I installed a second hard drive in it.

Here's my question:
Are there specific types of files that are best kept on the, "C:" drive, rather than on the "D:" drive?

What about samples and sound fonts?
Are those the best kept on the "C:" drive, in order to speed up the load/access time?

Thank you in advance, for any recommendations you can make.
I appreciate it very much, I think this is the best forum ever.

Peace,
K8ch
Hi K8ch, I can only speak for myslef and I'm just speaking about the audio stuff.

I keep all my programs such as Reaper in my Program Files on the C: drive. I also keep all my VSTs and VSTis on the C: drive although depending on the program, especially VSTis, they may or may not go in the Program Files, but may end up with their own folders on the C:drive.

However, all my dll files that are associated with the VST and VSTi will go in a special folder in the Program Files simply named VST, for example.

If I only have a 2-drive system, C: & D:, then all my VSTi samples, and Reaper Project files will go on the D:drive.

There's a lot more to it then that but that's the basics of it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
K8ch

Default Tod.. Thanks!

Tod,

Thanks for your response.

I've re-stated the question, so if you have a moment, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to share your thoughts about this.

Peace,
Keith
Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Tod,

Thanks for your response.

I've re-stated the question, so if you have a moment, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to share your thoughts about this.
Hi Keith, do you have some specific problems, like your C:/Drive is too small?

If it's not, I wouldn't be afraid to put all my program files including Reaper on the C:/Drive. Now remember, I said program files, not project files which of course are different.

I also wouldn't be afraid to put all my FX and VSTi files on the C:/Drive too. I've sure not had any problems doing it this way and it makes it easier to maintain my D:/Drive.

The D:/Drive is where all my Project files go to whether they are Reaper or Video type projects. Also all recorded files such as WAV or Video files also go on the D:/Drive and are kept with the project files, each project will have it's own folder.

All Samples and instruments for Samplers like Kontakt will go in a special Sample Library directory on my D:/Drive. Each instrument and it's associated samples will have their own folders.

I've got the program files for Kontakt on my C:/Drive.

This all works out very well for me. Both my C:/Drive and D:/Drive have over a tera byte each and run at 7200RPM.

Does that make it any clearer?

Edit: Oops I forgot to add, you can put your FX and VSTi files anywhere as long as you direct Reaper to the correct folder(s)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Fergler

I have an SSD so speed issues don't apply too much to me, I also have search indexing turned off.

I store everything on C: except for large media files like movies and games which are on an external drive, mainly because I just don't want to delete them but rarely use them.

I store all my Reaper stuff in a dropbox folder except for samples which are on a folder on my desktop. Reaper copies over samples I use to project folders so that's no problem (projects are also kept on the dropbox).

This set up means I can access it anywhere with my settings.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
K8ch

Default Tod.. That answers it -VERY- well, thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Keith, do you have some specific problems, like your C:/Drive is too small?

If it's not, I wouldn't be afraid to put all my program files including Reaper on the C:/Drive. Now remember, I said program files, not project files which of course are different.

I also wouldn't be afraid to put all my FX and VSTi files on the C:/Drive too. I've sure not had any problems doing it this way and it makes it easier to maintain my D:/Drive.

The D:/Drive is where all my Project files go to whether they are Reaper or Video type projects. Also all recorded files such as WAV or Video files also go on the D:/Drive and are kept with the project files, each project will have it's own folder.

All Samples and instruments for Samplers like Kontakt will go in a special Sample Library directory on my D:/Drive. Each instrument and it's associated samples will have their own folders.

I've got the program files for Kontakt on my C:/Drive.

This all works out very well for me. Both my C:/Drive and D:/Drive have over a tera byte each and run at 7200RPM.

Does that make it any clearer?

Edit: Oops I forgot to add, you can put your FX and VSTi files anywhere as long as you direct Reaper to the correct folder(s)

Tod

Yes!!
That's exactly the answer I was looking for...thank you.

No, I'm not having any specific problems, I'm happy to say.
C: is only 300gb, so it's a little small.

My sample library is starting to get big, and I'm anticipating getting Kontact installed in a couple of days, so this is very helpful.

I would've thought that samples would be best kept on C: for better access time.
Does Reaper -ONLY- need to access samples/soundfonts when the project is loading?
Is that why it's okay to put it on D: ?

So, as I understand it, all my soundfonts, samples/sample libraries can go on D:, without sacrificing any speed?

Thanks again, Tod, for your insight.
This isn't the first time you've come to my rescue.

Peace,
K8ch
Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
TimOBrien

Most efficient setup for any daw:

Boot (C) drive - OS, apps and vsts
Second separate drive - sample libraries
Third separate drive - audio projects, tracks & misc. data

Separate drives keep the data flowing smoothly with no conflicts.
Your os and apps have all kinds of housekeeping chores to do; putting the sample libraries and audio projects on other drives stop the read/write heads from hunting all over the place trying to keep up... remember that reading those bits is a serial process.

You can move the Kontakt sample libraries at any time and change their location in the Kontakt preferences.
(yes, they are ONLY looked at and loaded when the project loads)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
You can move the Kontakt sample libraries at any time and change their location in the Kontakt preferences.
Hi Tim, I'm not sure I would recommend moving the Kontakt library once you've got it installed unless it's imediately.

After you've used Konakt for a while and you make a library change, you're going to have browse for the files from that point on when you open a project.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
K8ch

Default 2 drives..and a USB/external drive...

Tod / Tim,

Yes, it will be a fresh install of Kontact.

Here's the thing..
I only have two drives installed, however, I -DO- have an external drive (USB) attached.
I assumed the USB wouldn't be fast enough to figure into this, except for periodic backups.

Am I wrong?
I would like to be!

So, given the fact that I have only 2 drives, would this be the best solution?

Boot (C) drive - OS, apps and vst's
Second separate drive - sample libraries, audio projects, tracks & misc. data

Thanks again, for being so helpful!

Peace,
K8ch
Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
TimOBrien

Note I said MOST efficient.

While it will take a bit longer to load samples off a usb2 drive (usb3 is FAST), it will work just fine unless you are used to using 40GB pianos or some such craziness.

But lets face it, drives are dirt cheap these days.
(I used to pay $2500 for a 9GB SCSI drive...)

Spend $50 and get another terrabyte drive for gosh sakes, that's half the price of an SM-57.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
So, given the fact that I have only 2 drives, would this be the best solution?

Boot (C) drive - OS, apps and vst's
Second separate drive - sample libraries, audio projects, tracks & misc. data
Hi again K8ch, yes, that's exactly the way my current studio computer is setup and it's works very well.

Tim is talking about the most efficient way if you've got the setup. However, my 2 drive system is working very well.

Incidentally, I might add, the computer in my studio was put together by a professional well known computer outfit that assemble computers just for Audio and Video.

If your current two drives are fast enough you should be fine.

EDIT: Heh heh, I see Tim popped in again while I was typing.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
K8ch

Default Tim / Tod,

Hey, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your direction in this matter.

I've managed to clear a -lot- of space off my C: drive, and that will be a big help when I install Kontact5.

GHOST IN THE MACHINE???
Here's a weird thing that happene4d last night, after I swapped all the files to D:, I started up Reaper and it ran fine...
BUT: I couldn't get the program to stop.
Seriously. I clicked on the "stop" button several time, but the song kept playing. It took a minute or two to actually make the program stop.
Strange!!!

I have not in stalled the latest version of Reaper, so maybe that will solve this issue...but man, was that weird...

Peace,
K8ch
Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
Mink99

I have a simple Layout :

Nothing but the OS on c:

Programs will be in d:\bin or d:\bin64 to avoid problems with rights and restrictions (uac) on c: and to be able to reinstall the OS without losing too much.

Samples on a separate drive (j: )

Projects on a separate drive, always saved with all media included.(f: )

Vsts in a separate folder in a separate partition. This partition contains three sub folders : inst / fx / outbound
If a vst wants to install more than a dll, I will point the installer to outbound . (I: )

Separate partition for temp stuff (including reapeaks, abletons asd, and $temp $tmp (e: )

These are partitions on three disks, one small ssd for boot (c: ) one 500 gig for bin temp and vst and one 1 tb for samples and projects.

This will minimise the risks of a disk failure where data cannot be recovered as there is a dedicated backup strategy for every disk.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
K8ch

Default Thanks!

Tod, Tim, Fergler, Mink...

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
I appreciate it, very much.

Peace,
K8ch