Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
4658dan
Human being with feelings

Default I can hear the clean guitar signal AND the VST?

Hu guys,

I'm currently having this annoying issue where I can always hear the clean guitar when I'm using a VST.

My interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. My OS is Windows 7 64bit and I'm using the latest version of Reaper.

I don't know whether the problem lies with my setup in Reaper or my sound interface. I'm using EZ Mix 2 and Guitar Rig 5. The problem is more obvious with Ez Mix 2 as for some reason the VST volume is alot lower than Guitar Rig.

Within the Saffire Mix Control, I can change the input to 'Line In' or 'Inst'. The line in does exactly what I want...I can't hear the clean guitar and only the VST, however it dramatically changes the VST sound by making it weaker. It's as if it takes 3/4 of the gain away. If I select 'inst' as the input, the sound is great but the clean guitar is there again.

The clean guitar doesn't get recorded but it's really off putting. When in reaper, if I disarm the track, I play and the clean guitar is there still...which is making me think it's an issue somewhere with my interface setup.

I have no idea what to do so any help would be appreciated.

4658dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
ivansc

stop monitoring the input on your guitar track.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
4658dan

If I turn monitoring to off, then I hear nothing. There is no clean or VST sound.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
boredonatrain

You've got the sound coming straight through the soundcard and the sound from the daw. You need to disable the input in the soundcard software. I'm not at my computer at the moment, but let me know if you need more detailed instructions.
boredonatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
4658dan

Thanks. The only thing I can see in the soundcard software is the different input types... 'Line In' and 'Inst'. Both of which I have tried.

It would be great if you could give more detailed instructions!

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
DarkStar

It would be somewhere in the Saffire Mix Control routing configuration

The input signal from your guitar should be routed ONLY to the USB output your computer and Reaper. Disable any routing of the guitar input out to your monitors.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
Bjorn218

I had the same problem with my m-audio interface/software. In the lower left hand side on my m-audio control software there was a box called link that I had checked on the analog in section. This linked the monitoring of the input signal with the processed signal. Does the Focusrite software have something similar?

I know in my case it was extremely frustrating and I had to just start clicking things to try and isolate where the problem was. There was no documentation provided from m-audio discussing the link functions in their software.
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
Lokasenna

- Line In and Inst are adjusting the signal level going to Reaper. Leave it on Inst.

- Google is telling me that your Focusrite software has a section called Input Mixer. The settings here only apply to your monitoring setup, and don't affect the signal being sent to Reaper. You should be able to either mute the input your guitar is on or just turn off direct monitoring altogether.

- In Reaper, the Guitar Rig track's monitoring has to be on if you want to hear the processed guitar signal.

- Maybe read your Focusrite's manual.