Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Win Conway
Human being with feelings

Default Linux starting out questions

Been a bunch of years since i tried messing with Linux and it was absolute garbage when i did, lack of real support for audio interfaces, never ending going through different builds of Linux to find one that was usable etc etc etc.

However, times a change, Windows 10 is now the biggest pile of crap that was ever released and the never ending cycle of resetting the OS after every big forced update is just laughable, this is happening for more and more users as their machine gets a little older, while i run a MBP and have zero issues, i do have some older hardware i need to use, most specifically an old Lenovo laptop i want to take to work to use on my downtime for working on projects.

Now Reaps has official Linux support i am thinking it may be best to just roll this on to Linux than Hackintosh (Has a bunch of issues with this particular laptop)
I would like to experiment with this Lenovo for Xwax use too, so could do with support for express card RME RPM.

So im looking for some linkage/hints
Best Linux package for Reaper (I know this will be personal, but some options would be nice) and links to install help.
Some insight on Express card support and setting up the RME RPM.

Any help here would be useful, i am still mulling just getting an older MS Surface because they will always make sure their crap updates work with their own hardware, but if i can get this Lenovo working (Its very small) it may dissuade me.

Cheers guys.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
jiff 41

This is well worth a Look!.
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux
Old 08-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Jack Winter

Hey there, long time no see!

Though never having used it, I'd second the AVLinux choice. It seems to be one of the few distros that come preconfigured for Linux audio work and seems highly regarded on the net. The manual for AVL: http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2018UserManual.pdf

The rme cardbus->hdsp is one of the better cards you can have in Linux and has driver support. Can't say that I've ever tried it in Linux, but you should be good to go with that. I think it even includes the repo to install the firmware from, otherwise you have to check out how to add the nonfree repo, as debian has a thing about non open binaries, but should be easy to get over.

My advice it to burn it to an usb stick and boot from that to see what you thing.

Of course seeing that it's software on a computer, some faffing will undoubtedly be in order
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
dug dog

I'm a Linux newb and have been reading through the AVLinux manual. I see what might be an issue for new users of AVLinux, though it is probably not a problem on an older Levovo lappie.

From page 13 of the AVLinux manual:

Generally speaking, installation of AV Linux 2018 will currently be best suited to computers with Hard Drives formatted to the MSDOS partition table and BIOSes that pre-date UEFI OR have options in the BIOS to disable or circumvent Secure Boot.

If I'm understanding this correctly, a modern UEFI based machine might not run AVLinux.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Jack Winter

I think I saw this mentioned somewhere. AFAIK the 32b version can't do or has problems with UEFI boot, 64b should be ok. Caveat, I've never tested myself.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
Win Conway

You need to make a DVD to install it, i don't even have a DVD drive on the computer nowadays hahaha.
I need to find a Linux that can be installed from USB stick, AVlinux can, but only after you have installed AVlinux to make the bootable USB stick hahahaha, dead useful and unfortunately just reminds me of how absolutely mad a lot of Linux is.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
korakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I'm a Linux newb and have been reading through the AVLinux manual. I see what might be an issue for new users of AVLinux, though it is probably not a problem on an older Levovo lappie.

From page 13 of the AVLinux manual:

Generally speaking, installation of AV Linux 2018 will currently be best suited to computers with Hard Drives formatted to the MSDOS partition table and BIOSes that pre-date UEFI OR have options in the BIOS to disable or circumvent Secure Boot.

If I'm understanding this correctly, a modern UEFI based machine might not run AVLinux.
Nope,
A modern based UEFI machine is 64bit and can run AVLinux
Don’t know about 32bit , it’s ages since I used 32 bit distro
Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
dug dog

I'm confused.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote