Old 09-28-2022, 07:49 AM   #1
dsealer
Human being with feelings

Default Need help with MIDI setup and use

Hey everyone, I may have submitted some questions on this in past. So let me apologize upfront if that's the case.
I know little to nothing about midi basics. I have somehow managed to record some midi horns, bass gtr drums and a few other instruments in the past. Probably most by dumb luck. I haven't recorded very much this past year as I was focusing on live playing. Seems I can only do one or the other but not both at the same time. I am now back in my studio to do some recording and I'd like to use some midi instruments. Problem is none of it works at the moment and I don't know how to get it working again. Also, my understanding of the midi world and it's language lacks immensely. So I may not communicate in a way that is clear of what I'm trying to do or decsribe. But here goes.
I have a kurzweil 2500. I use a Behringer xr18 I to Reaper. I have Kontakt 5.o and several midi instruments, Session Horns, Basis, plus others that at the moment I'm unable to think of what they are called (I'm at work at this moment).
When I load an instrument I can see it on my computer. If I use my mouse and click on the virtual keyboard that is part of the instrument I can hear the sound, but I'm not able to press a key on my Kurzweil and produce a sound.
I'm hoping for help to get it working or to find an online community forum I can communicate with. If anyone here is willing to help me I'd be very grateful but you should be warned I am sometimes as dumb as a rock.
Thank you all,
Old 09-28-2022, 08:23 AM   #2
DarkStar

You need to make sure that the MIDI from the keyboard is getting to Kontakt - there is a checklist in the Reaper User Manual. It will be easier to sort that out if you disable Kontakt and add Reasynth to the track.

Then make sure that the MIDI channel of the notes from the Kurzweil keyboard is the same as the channel for that instrument in Kontakt. You can use ReaControlMIDI to monitor (log) the MIDI messages from the Kurzweil keyboard.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #3
dsealer

Thanks for your reply. I have everything loaded as per the Checklist in Reaper. I"m in my studio now and have Reaper up and running and Session Horns loaded onto a track. When I use the virtual keyboard in Session Horns I can see and hear the sound on my Reaper track. How2ever if I use the Kurzweil Keyoard I don't get any sound from Sesson Horns to my Reaper Track. What I hear when doing this is the sound from the Kurzweil program I have loaded, not the sound from the Midi Sesson Horns.

Is there anything else you could advise for me to try?

Thanks so much for your time and help,
Old 09-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
dsealer

Ok, I've made some progress. I can now produce midi sound using my Kurzweil keyboard however I get both sounds, that from my midi instrument which is Session Horns, but I also here the Kurzweil program sound which in this case I'm using a piano sound. Might you be able to tell me why I have both sounds being heard?
Thanks again,
Old 09-29-2022, 03:34 AM   #5
DarkStar

Good oh

There is probably some switch or setting on the Kurzweil to turn off local sound generation. Or, is any MIDI in Reaper being sent back to the Kuurzweil? heck the Routing panel for the MIDI tracks to ensure that no hardware output is selected.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
dsealer

Thank you so much. I found the problem in the midi menu. Seems I'm using a demo version of Kontakt 5. Do you think a basic version of 6 would serve me well? I don't want to spend several hundred on Komplete and I don't believe I need all those instruments. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Thanks again for all your help,
Don......
Old 09-30-2022, 08:19 AM   #7
DarkStar

I did not know that there was a demo version of Kontakt, unless you mean the free Kontakt Player. If so, then the Player will only load and play certain sounds libraries that have been licensed by NI. I doubt that anyone uses all the sounds available in Komplete

But that might be a better route for you - find Kontakt Player libraries for the instruments you want. There are hundreds available.

Anyway I do not think that Kontakt, in any form, plays a piano sound unless you have loaded a piano instrument or have set Kontakt to output MIDI and that MIDI is going to a piano instrument (or your Kurzweil?).