Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
tgraph
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone have opinions.. pro or con.. on M-Audio MIDI Keystations.?

Looking on GuitarCenter and Sweetwater these seem popular inexpensive controllers... Not a ton of features, but I don't want all that. My biggest question might be how it feels to play. The reviews talk about how light they are, which sounds bad to me.

I'm going to keep the budget under $200 for this. I see the 61 key model going for $169.

Any thoughts?
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
mikeroephonics

M-Audio is junk. My Keystation Pro has had multiple component failures. The pitchbend potentiometer, modwheel potentiometer as well as the pots and faders on the top panel started to spit out random CC values without touching them.

I don't know who makes an alternative at under $200 for a 61-key controller. I recently bought a Roland A-800 Pro controller but that runs about $400 new.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #3
dub tree

I have a Keystation 88 and a 49. I have had them for years and my 88 has seen heavy use. Some of the keys make a weird clicking noise, but it's unobtrusive. I suspect this is from years of fingerdrumming, since they are all in that same general range. I haven't felt the need to upgrade, but was never really a pianist so I'm not bothered by the (lack of) weight of the keys. The velocity curve is less than ideal, but once I got used to how it responds, I haven't been too bothered.

I got my 88 used for $120 a few years back, and have more than gotten my money's worth. And i will continue to use it til the keys break off. Yes, there are basically no bells or whistles, but I've got other hardware to fill the role.

I know someone who got one new and a couple of the keys didn't work, but that was an easy return.

Are they "nice" keyboards? Hell no. But mine has survived live gigs and heavy studio use without any problems. And i fingerdrum every day, so it has certainly taken a beating.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #4
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
M-Audio is junk. My Keystation Pro has had multiple component failures. The pitchbend potentiometer, modwheel potentiometer as well as the pots and faders on the top panel started to spit out random CC values without touching them.
I have a 49e. It's never failed on me, but the build quality is about what I paid for, which is to say "cheap plastic and loose tolerances."

I'm considering a one or two octave controller with a much higher quality standard.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
tgraph

I went ahead and picked up the KeyStation61. Not great but playable and no problems so far at all.

Thanks for the responses.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
ivansc

Since I sorted out my minor Win10 driver signing issue and discovered that the Touch sensitivity had gotten itself off in the process, I would highly recommend finding a used Emu Xboard.
Had my X61 for a long time. Paid peanuts for it used and it is ultra reliable.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
dmoss74

i've had a keystation pro-88 for about 6 years now, and the prior owner had a couple years use on top of that. no issues whatsoever that i've run into yet. i love the action, and all the knobs buttons and wheels work just fine.

i don't know about their new stuff, but this works great.

i haven't upgraded my main pc (recording machine) to win 10 though, since i think there isn't a good driver for it yet. i'll stick to win 7 64 for now.
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote