Old 07-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Mordi
Human being with feelings

Default Yamaha HS8 - Noticable buzzing noise

I've been using Yamaha HS8 monitors along with the HS8S subwoofer for years, and it might have been this way always - but a client pointed out that one of the monitors are buzzing, and now I want to fix that.

The buzzing only comes from the right monitor. It seems to originate somewhere in the back of it, in the general area of the heatsink. The origin might be inside of the unit itself - not sure.

I've also recorded the sound itself. The volume has been brought up considerably in this clip. The loudness level is about the same as the fans of my computer, which is sitting under my desk.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjsezqb5ma...0buzz.wav?dl=0

Both monitors are connected to the same circuit, and I've tried disconnecting the XLR cable - it still buzzes. It seems the noise is originating from the electrical circuitry inside the monitor.

I haven't tried moving the speaker to a different circuit in my house yet, but I'll try that.

What would be your next troubleshooting step?
Old 07-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
DVDdoug

So it's "mechanical" noise? Not a buzz coming out of the speakers/drivers?

Can you get it apart? I found an online service manual.

Maybe by just touching (and damping) the vibrations you can track-down the problem. (Don't touch the AC circuits!)

A 50/60Hz power transformer (part of the power supply) will often vibrate and it can sometimes buzz. If it's loose laminations inside the transformer you'd have to replace the transformer.

But it could also be a loose screw & washer or something easy like that.

...It's probably not hard to replace the transformer if you can find one and if it's not too costly. And, I don't know if requires soldering.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 07-09-2020 at 02:42 PM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
...It's probably not hard to replace the transformer if you can find one and if it's not too costly. And, I don't know if requires soldering.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna take a look inside it tomorrow. I've got soldering equipment at home, and I might be able to procure a transformer at my workplace.

Edit: It's not making any noise today, so I guess it'll have to wait until the noise reappears...

Last edited by Mordi; 07-10-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Mordi

I took it apart and had a look. Was quite quick and easy to do, but I couldn't see any obvious tells. It was buzzing before I started disassembling it, but it disappeared at some point. While assembling I tried periodically turning it on - but it never made much sound.

It made a little bit of humming noise when I attached the LF woofer, but I get the same sound from my other speaker - so I believe that's normal.

We'll see if the buzzing sound appears again.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Truthtrader

I have had this issue for years, it’s just the yamaha’s, try run your sound card less hot and the monitors less hot.

Also if you Are on a Mac, have a look at audio midi settings and check if your volumes are set correctly
Truthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Mordi

It's back to the old buzzing now. I guess the transformer needs to heat up for it to happen or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthtrader View Post
I have had this issue for years, it’s just the yamaha’s, try run your sound card less hot and the monitors less hot.

Also if you Are on a Mac, have a look at audio midi settings and check if your volumes are set correctly
Am on Windows, but I've ruled out any input or cable issue. It makes the sound even when the XLR is disconnected.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:36 AM   #7
andrew16MM

I've been facing almost the same issue recently...

Last edited by andrew16MM; 06-24-2021 at 03:39 AM.
andrew16MM is offline   Reply With Quote