Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
ultrasubharmonica
Human being with feelings

Default Loops automatically copying for unknown reason

So I'm on day 32 after working on Reaper for about 85 hours. Been fun and at time frustrating of course but mostly very productive and fun. I'm working with loops in a sample loop library I'm accessing through the Media Explorer Window and all of the sudden I now have double WAV's of a lot of my files and I'm noticing the copied version has a Reaper Peaks File extension on it once I listen to it. I didn't change any settings but one day when I opened the window to work on something I noticed all of this so I decided to test my theory and listened to one and then went to another and it automatically duplicated a Reaper version of the same WAV. Then I checked the Properties of the file I store all of my Samples in and sure enough the file size has almost doubled too and is now over 14K big and about 15 gigs. Does anyone know why this might happen? I'm hoping it's some sort of default setting that's set wrong for some mysterious reason.

Last edited by ultrasubharmonica; 03-17-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Additional Info
ultrasubharmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasubharmonica View Post
So I'm on day 32 after working on Reaper for about 85 hours. Been fun and at time frustrating of course but mostly very productive and fun.

I'm working with loops in a sample loop library I'm accessing through the Media Explorer Window and all of the sudden I now have double WAV's of a lot of my files and I'm noticing the copied version has a Reaper Peaks File extension on it once I listen to it. I didn't change any settings but one day when I opened the window to work on something I noticed all of this so I decided to test my theory and listened to one and then went to another and it automatically duplicated a Reaper version of the same WAV.

Then I checked the Properties of the file I store all of my Samples in and sure enough the file size has almost doubled too and is now over 14K big and about 15 gigs. Does anyone know why this might happen? I'm hoping it's some sort of default setting that's set wrong for some mysterious reason.
The Reaper Peaks files are where Reaper stores the graphical waveform of the audio file (and so, they are only created when the audio clip is displayed in Reaper, in the Media Explorer or the Arranger). They are a lot smaller than their respective audio files.

If the Peak files are saved in the same folder as the audio file then they have the same file name. (or you can specify an alternate folder for the files (in Preferences >> Paths) in which case they are given unique generated names).

You can delete all the peak files if you wish at let Reaper rebuild them when needed.

What I do not understand is how the folder size doubled. Or are you saying that the actual wave files were duplicated somehow. I cannot think how Reaper would do that.

Can you post a screenshot of part of that folder showing a few files and their sizes so that we can have a better understanding? (Upload the screenshots to an Image Server and post the link here.)

Also, has anything Reaper-related changed in the last 32 days?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
ultrasubharmonica

Thanks for all of that. I do realize the files are peak files and I now do not believe the files doubled in size given the peak files are so much smaller-I haven't had time to dig into why this happened but I'm hoping to get on the program soon to explore the preferences and check your suggestions about saving files. I'm a bit baffled as to why this started happening. I know how and where I save my song files and rendered files but I don't believe I've ever gone in and changed any setting within the Media Explore Window. Could it be some sort of bug possibly? While it's not a big problem it's a bit weird to listen to a sample and have the program immediately make a peak file. The only thing that has changed in my first 30 days of the trial was one update but I don't think this issue popped up immediately following that update. I believe this issue came up within the last week or so.