Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would you use this feature?
Yes 251 99.60%
No 1 0.40%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #41
TonE
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I'm able to use REAPER with all the cool stuff with my BCR-2000 (14-bit absolute mode with tweaked acceleration FTW) with all the lights on.
Banned, very cool videos, still without changing the current setup as this FR would allow, would be nice. Whatever you use now, just set your values on BCR2000 and enjoy the updated values!
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #42
ArrowHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
For you "ideally" maybe, what if you have assigned more than 1000 parameters, well those could technically not even pass the midi cable? So a selection mechanism would make sense. Only if you do not use more than 1000 parameters does not mean nobody does. 32 parameters on the other hand could be handled easily.

You and I are not having the same conversation here.

"ideally" means you get what you want, I get what I want.

Last edited by ArrowHead; 10-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #43
ArrowHead

Quote:
I just wanted to emphasize sending automatically for EVERY assigned parameter is not always good, and you suggested just that, at least I understood it this way. If not, our English understanding is different.
It should only send what you're adjusting when you're adjusting it. Very simple - you adjust a knob in reaper, it effects your knob on your control surface. This should work for all parameters and actions assigned to a controller.

Same page?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #44
ArrowHead

Quote:
The OP seems to be busy elsewhere.
I sent him a PM asking him to update the first post, but he has not logged in for months.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #45
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
It should only send what you're adjusting when you're adjusting it. Very simple - you adjust a knob in reaper, it effects your knob on your control surface. This should work for all parameters and actions assigned to a controller.

Same page?
Not completely, "adjusting" should be also allowed via a second controller, not only via Reaper GUI. So "whenever the envelope in Reaper changes, no matter if via Reaper GUI or via other methods". If you included also this case, then yes, same page.

And no, NOT for all parameters assigned to a controller, instead:
1. assigned to a controller &&
2. option activated "send this parameter also via control output port using same midi-channel and value"
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #46
Banned

I also think that feedback should be optional (but perhaps enabled by default). And that it should reflect any change to the parameter being controlled, including automation envelopes.

Fwiw, I don't think we have to explain the basic concept of parameter feedback in much detail to the devs, as they have already implemented it elsewhere.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #47
ArrowHead

Quote:
And no, NOT for all parameters assigned to a controller, instead:
This is what worries me. Basically poops on the exact use I have for the feature. I use "learn" or map it, it feeds back. Period, be it an action, a vst parameter, or a control. For the more complicated needs of others, there could be a check box to disable feedback for that mapping should you wish - a checkbox like soft takeover or such.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
This is what worries me. Basically poops on the exact use I have for the feature. I use "learn" or map it, it feeds back. Period, be it an action, a vst parameter, or a control. For the more complicated needs of others, there could be a check box to disable feedback for that mapping should you wish - a checkbox like soft takeover or such.
Feedback optional, but enabled by default works fine for me. Should we also ask for a preference setting to set the default to enabled/disabled? For the use case of manually setting up 1000s of MIDI controls, and not having to uncheck 1000s of checkboxes?

(Btw, TonE: of course we can easily have 16 x 128 different CC#s pass through a single MIDI cable. Just be sure to not send all of them at the same time… )
Old 10-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #49
ArrowHead

Whatever keeps the feature simplest, and easiest to implement. It's dark in here without my l.e.d.s.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #50
ArrowHead

Quote:
For the use case of manually setting up 1000s of MIDI controls, and not having to uncheck 1000s of checkboxes?
I like the current behavior as it is, where reaper follows the selection of the last control you mapped. I.E. If I pick "absolute", "soft takeover", and "do not transmit feedback" for my first control, it will have those checked already for the next control I go to assign.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #51
TonE

Yes, I do not care what the default setting would be, checked or non-checked, I will not do it anyway manually, as Banned knows, changing the .rpp via a script is more fun if you want to map more than 1000 parameters at once. From those thousands of mapped parameters I would select then 32 volume_pan js volume parameter to be feedbacked over to the BCR2000. Those two additions would be just fantastic, as both seem to be quite simple to implement, somehow I have this feeling:

1. midi feedback, as in this FR
2. vu-meter mousewheeling for volume changes, see my current signature
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #52
supra

Oh gooooodie I really hope this gets done. In case anyone is as thick as me and couldn't figure out how to "officially" request the feature, the buttons appear on the official feature request page in the place highlighted by my screenshot (attached).

PS I would be using this for a sweet MIDI desk with motorized faders which doesn't do any of the Mackie emulation modes, so essentially, this feature is ESSENTIAL for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg how-to-vote-for-the-coolest-reaper-feature.jpg (66.6 KB, 299 views)
supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #53
ArrowHead

Every time I see another vote at the poll on this page, I cross my fingers and hope it isn't a vote that never made it to the feature request.

Is there a super cool mod we could ask to add the FR link to post #1 of the discussion, and maybe remove the poll as well? I'm not really familiar with who the mods are yet.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #54
ArrowHead

Quote:
"adjusting" should be also allowed via a second controller, not only via Reaper GUI. So "whenever the envelope in Reaper changes, no matter if via Reaper GUI or via other methods".

I see where Tone is coming from:

I just set a knob on my BCR to fast select tracks. Figure fast scroll through tracks with the knob is much easier than using bank+- on my faderport. I assigned "View: Go to track" to my BCR knob. Set the knob itself to absolute, 127-0 in the BCR software, and set it to absolute in Reaper. Perfect. Except that when I select a track with the knob - my Faderport does not reflect the new selection. If I select a new track with the mouse in Reaper, the faderport reflects the change.

In addition, if I'm controlling the master track, and I select a new track with the knob on my BCR, the master track and new track will BOTH remain selected, and the faderport controls both faders, but at two different ratios depending on track levels.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #55
TonE

Well, yes, your examples are similar problems, in my case I only use absolute direct controls, I never scroll around to select/shift tracks or banks, whatever is mapped is there and always constant. In my case that would be 24 volume controls below and 8 fx controls at the top. Optionally I could use the other 3 * 8 controls for more fx, but I would try NOT to use those, no need to switch around all the time then. Any controls which do not make SO much sense, can be unmapped again, 8 relevant fx controls should be more than enough for real-time manipulations.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #56
ArrowHead

UGH - 15 more people have voted in the poll on this thread, while only ONE new person has voted for the actual feature request. Who is in favor of deleting this discussion thread completely and starting a new one? Can we get a mod to do that? I've messaged the OP, asking him to add the FR link, but he doesn't seem to come here any more.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #57
ivansc

Cant believe I voted here and somehow forgot to vote for the FR!!!

Rectified now but I wonder how many more I have missed elsewhere?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #58
kabana

2013 - The world keeps turning and... we are still waiting midifeedback in Reaper.
kabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #59
dusanmsk

WHAT?!

Reaper doesn't support feedback for BCR2000 ?!! I am about to buy that controller this days, so this will be killing for me.

What's the actual status?
dusanmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #60
nofish

another bump

We have MIDI feedback for control surfaces but not for individual learned actions.

Hard to understand imo,when the functionality is there for OSC.

edit:
@ dusanmsk
Just to make it clear, we actually can get parameter feedback using the BCR, if you use it emulating a Mackie control surface for example.
Here's the setup I did sometime ago.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60110

But for learned parameters (FX parameters or Reaper's action list) there's no MIDI feedback available using it as a 'generic' controller, that's what this feature request is about.

Last edited by nofish; 01-09-2013 at 02:19 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #61
dusanmsk

... and are you able to configure what knob controls what value on vst or it is "hard-coded" when using as control surface?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #62
nofish

With Klinke's plugin there's a mapping editor so you can learn (map) the parameters you want to control but - as the Mackie has only 8 rotaries and 8 faders that means if you use a BCR to emulate it, you're only using two rows of the rotaries (that's how I did it in my setup), the others remain unused.
And you have to select in which mode you want to work (eg plugin mode, volume mode, send mode).

So you can't freely assign as you could using it as a generic controller. That's the problem.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #63
dusanmsk

That's fuckin' bad.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #64
supra

Default Don't forget to vote!

Guys, when I see all these people in support of the feature, but not as many votes, I start to cry! Please don't forget to officially request here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4388

When you go to that page, in small writing after where it says: Would you use this feature? click yes
supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #65
musicbynumbers

voted
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #66
tgowdy

+1

thanks,
t
tgowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #67
dusanmsk

Following this fuckin' situation I started to learn Reaper's OSC and also I started to develop an midi_cc->osc mapping application which will fit to reapers osc and will be very modular ( meaning you will be able to use any midi controller ( also with feedback ) ). When it will be done, I'll publish it into RIDP.

Current state is that I should control any FX plugin in reaper and I also receive feedback osc messages for it. Also I know which track/plugin is currently selected/opened, so application will be able to automatically switch between presets(mappings) depending on what are you doing in Reaper. Because I still haven't bcr2000 ( is on way ), I can't fully test reaper->app->bcr and bcr->app->reaper path, but hope it will work well.

Whenever it will be in first pre-alpha releasable state, you'll be informed in this thread.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #68
paterpeter

I just added a BCR2000 into Studio One as a custom control surface (not using the BCR2000 preset).

Wow, that was painless.
- Add a generic control surface with MIDI in+out defined
- Enable MIDI learn
- Turn knobs and push buttons
- Set controller type (knob, fader, button etc)
- Enable "Transmit value" on all controls
- Disable MIDI learn

Done. It just works - with feedback, LEDs and all. No third party software, no "server" running somewhere.

It should be that simple in Reaper, too.

So +1
paterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #69
David Else

+ 10000 (I did vote)

This would be massive, really important.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #70
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterpeter View Post
I just added a BCR2000 into Studio One as a custom control surface (not using the BCR2000 preset).

Wow, that was painless.
- Add a generic control surface with MIDI in+out defined
- Enable MIDI learn
- Turn knobs and push buttons
- Set controller type (knob, fader, button etc)
- Enable "Transmit value" on all controls
- Disable MIDI learn

Done. It just works - with feedback, LEDs and all. No third party software, no "server" running somewhere.

It should be that simple in Reaper, too.

So +1
Hi paterpeter-

Wow, I would love that! I have a BCR2000 working in REAPER, but no feedback to the LEDs at all. That would be great!

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #71
drfunkeys

+1, would be much better than current situation for folks with 2 bcf2000.
drfunkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #72
Vendetta V

this is quite depressing guys! I read the entire thread and we're in 2013 now and still no advancements?

I'd imagin with 4.5 coming soon with all that midi improvements this would be included. 59 voters who'd use the plugin on the original FR and 0 people who wouldn't.. How far should this get for devs to actually implement the feature?
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #73
Scoox

It's probably in the pipeline already, and it seems like a very long pipe judging by the age of this thread. It would be nice to get a nod from the devs though.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #74
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
It's probably in the pipeline already, and it seems like a very long pipe judging by the age of this thread. It would be nice to get a nod from the devs though.
true that. I wish a dev would approve of this.

By the way, talking of MIDI feedback, is there a way to figure if your device does have midi feedback? (I'm talking about LED lit pad controllers for instance). The manual doesn't provide any info on that.

It's Arturia Minilab by the way
Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #75
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
By the way, talking of MIDI feedback, is there a way to figure if your device does have midi feedback? (I'm talking about LED lit pad controllers for instance). The manual doesn't provide any info on that.

It's Arturia Minilab by the way
Try sending the same MIDI events (typically CC#) that you are receiving from it, over the entire range of possible values (0-127 for 7bit CC#).

NB: in some cases, feedback may not be visible by means of LEDs, value displays or anything, but may still be important to update the state of the remote MIDI controller, to prevent value 'jumping' when changing the same parameter on the MIDI controller after having changed it in REAPER's GUI. So even if your controller does not have LEDs or value displays, you may still want to have feedback.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #76
Vendetta V

Quote:
Try sending the same MIDI events (typically CC#) that you are receiving from it, over the entire range of possible values (0-127 for 7bit CC#).

NB: in some cases, feedback may not be visible by means of LEDs, value displays or anything, but may still be important to update the state of the remote MIDI controller, to prevent value 'jumping' when changing the same parameter on the MIDI controller after having changed it in REAPER's GUI. So even if your controller does not have LEDs or value displays, you may still want to have feedback.
That sounds good. I;m currently fiddling around with the midi to osc setup. will let you know once I get good results. thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #77
kiff

Default It says I have already voted

Just goes to show how desperately I need "Midi Feedback" to control my BCF2000.
This really sucks.
Kiff

Last edited by kiff; 12-10-2013 at 05:16 PM.
kiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #78
Gertius

+10000000

just voted here and in the official FR.
I did some work using pd and the BCR2000 to map feedback via OSC, and it was working quite nicely. But the software was so complex in the end, and I did not use it for a year or so. And now honestly it feels like too much of a hassle to get PD and OSC back to working.
So, please provide MIDI feedback for learned parameters!
Gertius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #79
novocane99

Default Learned VST Parameter MIDI Feedback

Any news on whether this feature will be implemented - its a must and will make reaper the ultimate perfect DAW!
novocane99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #80
novocane99

Bump - this feature is a must in order to make control surfaces useable with fx parameters - soft takeover and relative mode are awful and unuseable

BUMP FOR THIS FEATURE!!!

ONWARDS!!!
novocane99 is offline   Reply With Quote