Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #41
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
...I'm sure there must be a good reason
Well because “true” peak is arbitrary and meaningless, and RMS is actually plenty good enough for most things right up until you have to deliver a product to somebody with overly restrictive loudness requirements.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #42
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Well because “true” peak is arbitrary and meaningless, and RMS is actually plenty good enough for most things right up until you have to deliver a product to somebody with overly restrictive loudness requirements.
Tell me how you really feel At least with REAPER you have the choice to use measuring tools of yesteryear

Last edited by chmaha; 09-26-2021 at 03:11 PM.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #43
Swi

Default multi mono?

Great stuff as always thank you!

The "difference solo" could use a mouse modifier or action to control it with a single click/toggle instead of right-click and then select.

Also RE "Multi-Mono"
Is there something coming where you can select and edit each channel separately? For example in ReaEQ similar to the "metering" dropdown at the top right could there be a drop-down for each channel of the eq so you can apply different eq to each channel with a single instance of the plug? Or is this there and I just can't find it?

Thank you thank you!
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #44
ashcat_lt

Quote:
...measuring tools of yesteryear
I mean most of the world seems to be all confused trying to figure out how to use (emulations of) analog VU meters, so...
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #45
daxliniere

Default ** gratitude **

Just a quick one to say thank you to Justin & Schwa for the delta solo function. This is something I'm now using all day and it's helping me make the best-informed decisions about the processing I'm using.

Thank you for always innovating.

All the best,
Dax.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #46
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
is it time to fix the background color of the mix knob yet?
– when docked I see the square image background, also behind the new delta solo symbol. When fx UI or chain is floating, it's not present here on macOS10.14 | retina.

--
Btw. Love the delta-listen feature!
As proposed by others, a key-cmnd/modifier would be great for workflow.

And BIG thanks for correcting the meters, only to show clipping indicator if there are full samples above zero.
–All of a sudden Reaper feels more mature, ha-ha!
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #47
hopi

can someone explain media item lanes plz?
Old 09-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #48
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
can someone explain media item lanes plz?
Well you probably already know you can in the stable versions see items in lanes. But this behaviour was a little strange, difficult to control in which lane a item will be, especially after splitting a item.

With the new track media lanes you have more freedom. It is basically having more than one timeline pertrack. You can put items in more lanes(instead of different tracks) to make a sound for exemple.

Like this:

Here somethings I use it for:
Comping
Keeping different Versions of a track
Build sounds

To turn on Media lanes to a track. Select the tracks and check Track>Fixed Item Lanes
You still have a more less similar to the old behavior of lanes now it is namely "Offset Overlap Media Items Vertically". Which is awesome, you can still work with the old behavior of lanes and have the track lanes. Having things like lanes in lanes.
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #49
hopi

Thanks Dan.... now I understand it.... sort of

I find that I have to bounce between FIP and Lanes to get added item into their own lanes....
Old 09-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #50
daniellumertz

What I think might be a Bug with offset items and scroll arrange view

going from a one item place to a two, it waits a user input to recalculate and divide the track on all.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #51
daniellumertz

Problem: Glue two items on different lanes. Lane 2 is now empty and don't disappear (and from what I understood the design is to have no last empty lanes). if anything is moved it disappear
Old 10-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #52
daniellumertz

Also I wonder if automatic delete empty lanes is the right design choice.
I really don't know, maybe is. Just bringing up the possibility of this don't happen
Old 11-24-2021, 01:44 AM   #53
Joystick

Quote:
As an aside, I'm still not sure why in 2021 we are not all just using LUFS-I, LUFS-S, LUFS-M and (true) peak...I'm sure there must be a good reason
It's an excellent question and one asked the most by my students.

One reason that I can think of from the top of my head, is that in very short oneshots like those used in game sound effects, you cannot get an accurate measurement using the ITU-R BS.1770 recommendations/algorithm.

For me and some others, even in the longer program material, the Orban implementation of the CBS algorithm gives a better result than the ITU proposal.

The ITU gained a lot of traction and now may be considered the industry standard, but there are better more geeky ways to measure loudness, that don't fail where the ITU fails.

The ITU is an excellent all-around catch made for broadcasting and used mostly on visual media like television. In music, you can use better algorithms but they also use ITU because using one standard is better for the industry as a whole, which is fine.

After all, if you know what you are doing, then you don't have any problems. For example, I remember when the ITU meters got introduced in the market, I measured my old material which was made using a calibrated studio, RMS meters, and with proper gain-staging based on official recommendations from ITU, SMPTE, etc. Guess what, my old material was not more or less than 0.7 dB within the EBU R128 (I work in EU).

For me, a true psycho-physical instrument would understand the material and give a consistent scale on the output. I think that this is where this will head when scientific advancements and commercial technology permit it.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #54
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It means you can assign it to a controller or automate it.
since in your on this , can you reconsider the design of this:

With option "Automatically add envelopes when tweaking parameters in automation write modes" Mute on regular track and on sends are not getting visible automatically:

Regular Mute:

Mute on Sends:

this is not coherent and big hassle (you can see how many steps are needed to do to do something which should be as simple as any other params..)