Old 01-26-2022, 12:49 PM   #1
MikeMcK
Human being with feelings

Default Windows laptop as control surface?

I'm old-school and used to mixing with multiple faders, and got many years out of a now-dead BCF2000.

Money's tight, so I'm not shopping for a hardware control surface right now, and have been asking about tablet apps.

But I also have a touchscreen laptop which I used to use for Reaper (I now have a dedicated older PC just for music). I also only have one monitor, which is tight when I have the mixer open.

So, is there any way to use the laptop as a control surface? I just need a way to control multiple faders when mixing. I know about the web interface, and love it on my phone when tracking by myself, but I just need faders and hopefully scribble strips above them (I use transport controls on my nektar kb). Thanks.
MikeMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
mks

Absolutely. In fact, it's where I've intentionally ended up for my work setup recently. What I'm using is the new (amazing) TouchOSC app on windows connecting to Reaper's built-in OSC implementation. At least that's where my setup starts But so far it's great. I've become really used to touch screen faders after years of owning many different hardware faders...it's different, but with things like TouchOSC you can really build an interface that's suited to your natural gestures/hand position/etc.
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #3
MikeMcK

Thanks. How long did it take to build your interface? I’m really hoping to find some thing that’s ready to go and does just about what an MCU does.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:54 PM   #4
mks

So far my setup is pretty basic and more of an ergonomic one...so it was pretty quick. I'm not sure what aspects of an MCU you need, but since you mentioned "just multiple faders while mixing" I would say almost any TouchOSC layout out there would do that. And then some if you're interested. Luckily there are lots of people smarter than me out there making great stuff. This thread is a great resource if you're going down that route and just want to download something that works (if setup properly): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=261282
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:20 PM   #5
GeckoLikesMartini

Hi MikeMcK

If your not yet sure if this is the route to go you might also try Open Stage Control (free):

https://openstagecontrol.ammd.net

I made a free controller template "ReaperControl" that you can download here:

https://openstagecontrol.discourse.g...ntrol-2020/946

Regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:01 AM   #6
PH68

For midi using your windows touchscreen try XotoPad
feelyoursound.com/xotopad/

I being using it on my Microsoft Surface Book & Surface Pro for about 6 or 7 years now with no problems.
It works with any DAW I've used (ProTools, Ableton, Cakewalk, etc..) and standalone Synths (Arturia, AIR, etc..) just fine.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #7
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcK View Post
Thanks. How long did it take to build your interface? I’m really hoping to find some thing that’s ready to go and does just about what an MCU does.
If you're willing to dive into the CSI extension for Reaper, I've got an OSC surface that works with the MCU files that I could share. One page covers the faders, displays, and rotaries, another OSC page covers all the MCU buttons. I actually just use it for testing stuff in CSI as I have a different setup I use with my hardware control surfaces.

I know another user, cjewellstudios, is currently putting some finishing touches on an OSG-based tablet control surface for CSI that blows what I've done away. Think Avid Control-like setup and features but for Reaper. I think when it's done, it'll be the best thing going for Reaper+CSI users looking for fader control on an iPad.

CSI has a bit of a learning curve, and is currently in the midst of a bit of a rewrite, but we've got a good community helping each other out.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
MikeMcK

Thanks all, there are definitely some things for me to try here. I am much more interested in finding a solution I can just use without experimenting much. I’d still love a physical controller with motorized faders, but nothing like that is in the cards right now for me.

Thanks again