Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 06-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
talustalus
Human being with feelings

Default Change Reaper's FX Browser, Action List, Project Bay, etc. text font?

I hope the subject is straightforward enough. Are these text fonts changeable?
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Coachz

Yeah, are they?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
talustalus

Apparently not. But I changed the overall screen scale on Windows. And now I'm happy with it. Was too small before.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Apparently not. But I changed the overall screen scale on Windows. And now I'm happy with it. Was too small before.
But doing that changes every windows app. That's a hard no here. :-(
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
talustalus

It's all relative to where you came from. I was on a super small scale to fit a lot of windows in, and I made it a bit larger and now there's a good balance of window space and fonts being large enough to read.

However, I would still like the ability to change the Reaper system font that is hard-wired into the program.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
DaniloVillanova

Those are so small! I just don't get why they don't hire a UI designer, REAPER is great and the devs are geniuses but they clearly know nothing about UI/UX design. This area is so neglected that I suspect the devs take some weird pleasure in being the only DAW maker that completely disregards this. Makes them feel like they're cooler than those UI obssesed plebs or something? The day they make a proper UI will be the day every other DAW maker will s*hit their pants.
DaniloVillanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
talustalus

I agree that Reaper is lacking the user-friendly UI department.

I don't think it's intentional though. I just think the minds behind Reaper are very smart and mathematical, and that's why you can do almost anything in this DAW that you can dream up.

It is a functional dream.

Yes, hopefully the UI will catch up to modern standards because it sucks. But Reaper is it for me. At this point I would be so stagnant on another DAW because I've customized my entire workflow unique to me, with Reaper DAW supporting every single move so far.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:10 AM   #8
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniloVillanova View Post
Those are so small! I just don't get why they don't hire a UI designer, REAPER is great and the devs are geniuses but they clearly know nothing about UI/UX design. This area is so neglected that I suspect the devs take some weird pleasure in being the only DAW maker that completely disregards this. Makes them feel like they're cooler than those UI obssesed plebs or something? The day they make a proper UI will be the day every other DAW maker will s*hit their pants.
This is complete crap, I can't stand WTs work personally, but you certainly can't say he is not a UI designer, the guy has done some very high profile work, to say he knows nothing about UI/X design shows an ignorance that is unsurpassed on this forum, and trust me, that says a whole shit ton.
The UI has always been second place in favour of speed and reliability across platforms, you actually think that Justin and Schwa want people constantly saying "Your shit is ugly" no of course they don't, and when they can, they do what they can to make things prettier.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:14 AM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
This is complete crap, I can't stand WTs work personally, but you certainly can't say he is not a UI designer, the guy has done some very high profile work, to say he knows nothing about UI/X design shows an ignorance that is unsurpassed on this forum, and trust me, that says a whole shit ton.
The UI has always been second place in favour of speed and reliability across platforms, you actually think that Justin and Schwa want people constantly saying "Your shit is ugly" no of course they don't, and when they can, they do what they can to make things prettier.
How does being able to change the font size and type affect performance?
The GUI artwork that white tie does is the best I've ever seen. I don't always agree with all of the choices like the route button on the new Reaper 6 which I have been able to change easily but holy crap is he an incredible artist and designer. Proof is here.

http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/
Old 07-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
BeatPsychic

If someones idea of proper UX/UI design has anything at all to do with how "cool", "realistic","awesome","beautiful",etc... an interface is, there is a need to go read a basic introduction of the User Interface/Experience disciplines. Not to mention, when a UI designer is brought in after the product code has already been implemented for a number of years, and it is impractical to change the base that the interface is designed upon, you are restricted in what you can do. On top of that, dealing with a very active community with a different opinion from every member as to how the program should look, to meet "their needs", has to be a headache. WT has done a hell of a job, considering what he was given to work with, and continues to implement new ways(while still restricted to the underlying codebase) for every user to change the UI for themselves in many ways.

In response to talustalus's original question, I haven't dove that much into theming yet, unfortunately...but if you go here and Ctrl/Cmd-F on the page and search for "font", it looks like many of the fonts in the REAPER them are tweakable?
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php

Last edited by BeatPsychic; 07-15-2020 at 08:48 PM.
BeatPsychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:42 PM   #11
Distressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
I changed the overall screen scale on Windows.

If i do that my Reaper Theme breaks apart. Is that to be expected?

Someone actually found a way to make some of those microscopic fonts bigger:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....light=high+dpi

It does sound like it's not a trivial task though.
Distressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 AM   #12
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatPsychic View Post
If someones idea of proper UX/UI design has anything at all to do with how "cool", "realistic","awesome","beautiful",etc... an interface is, there is a need to go read a basic introduction of the User Interface/Experience disciplines. Not to mention, when a UI designer is brought in after the product code has already been implemented for a number of years, and it is impractical to change the base that the interface is designed upon, you are restricted in what you can do. On top of that, dealing with a very active community with a different opinion from every member as to how the program should look, to meet "their needs", has to be a headache. WT has done a hell of a job, considering what he was given to work with, and continues to implement new ways(while still restricted to the underlying codebase) for every user to change the UI for themselves in many ways.

In response to talustalus's original question, I haven't dove that much into theming yet, unfortunately...but if you go here and Ctrl/Cmd-F on the page and search for "font", it looks like many of the fonts in the REAPER them are tweakable?
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php
Having coded for over 25 years, a great software design to me involves a highly intuitive, functional and efficient interface that fits my workflow and also is "cool", "realistic","awesome", and "beautiful". White Tie is great at a large number of these.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:10 AM   #13
Bassman002

HI

It should be possible to change the FX Browsers Textheight, but Windows Magnifier is a workaround for this!

Just hit WIN + "+" or WIN + "-" to change the size, WIN + ESC to end it! (Windows 11)

Greetz
Bassman.
Bassman002 is offline   Reply With Quote