Old 10-11-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
Valle
Human being with feelings

Default Poofs in REAPER!

Poof = REAPER completely leaves the building, disappears without a warning – just “poofs”. Gone! And with it, all the work you did since the last save.

Let’s hope REAPER hasn’t caught the old, nasty Cubase disease …

I have been experiencing quite a few poofs lately with the, say, two or three (pre-release) versions. I cannot be more specific because first time this happened was in v5.973+dev0319 (p=2110716), but I seemed to be the only one on the planet, and it was assumed a Waves (shell) plugin issue, so it never got much more attention. But – the poofs have actually never disappeared (paradoxically speaking).

So, now I’m working with the final mixing on a twelve track album with a deadline. And I shit my pants every time it poofs. Then while reopen REAPER and reloading the projects (sometimes I have several opened) I pray to the powers of faith that it’s all still there. Now since I’ve had my ransoms of poofs the past seven months, I have developed a paranoid compulsion to hit the save button like a crazy person, which is really, really sad if you ask me (that that’s should be my solution, I mean). And, yes, I know about the rpp-bak files (byt tha's not a solution to the poofs).

I haven’t been able to reproduce the poofs. They seem to have their own will and life. It can happen while I’m adjusting a parameter, hit play, scroll, moving items, open a window, loading effects – there is just no pattern, that I can see. What I do know, though, is that seconds before REAPER is about to poof, the application freezes, and the CPU rushes like crazy (and this is where I shit my pants, because I’m fearing what is about to happen). Then … *POOF* … REAPER is gone, and the CPU sighs in relief.

One month ago, I bought a new computer. The latest model of a really good one (Dell XPS). My old one (Lenovo 2017) is actually good enough, but I thought I needed some more power under the hood, mostly because I run CPU-hungry plugins and instruments. This, I thought, may also solve the poof issue. Nope! Poof’s are still there, happily making me shit my pants.

It’s easy for me to think that the poofs are caused by my Waves plugins or instruments of other brands, and that the problem lays on their respective developer’s sides and therefore their headache. But I am not so sure about that. The only thing I’m certain of is that the poofs must stop.

Is there anyone but me who has experienced poofs as described above? Do you have any ideas what may cause them? Please share it here, and hopefully we can spot and prevent future poofs together.

Thanks in advance!

Now, I’m going to get a set of extra pants and get to work.

Last edited by Valle; 10-11-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Stupid thread title
Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:32 AM   #2
EvilDragon

It's 99.9% plugin's fault. Maybe try disabling "Terminate REAPER immediately if a plugin corrupts the process heap" checkbox in Preferences->Plugins->Compatibility.

Also try running plugins in dedicated process...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:37 AM   #3
Judders

I've had a couple of problems with 5984rc1_x86_64.

First was Waves Reel ADT taking an unusually long time to instantiate. Second was Waves IR1 crashing REAPER on instantiation.

iMac Retina 5k, 27" Late 2015 running 10.14.6

My experience points to Waves being the culprit.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:59 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I've had a couple of problems with 5984rc1_x86_64.
Don't use not-final builds for your real projects. There is even info about it on LoL.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's 99.9% plugin's fault. Maybe try disabling "Terminate REAPER immediately if a plugin corrupts the process heap" checkbox in Preferences->Plugins->Compatibility.

Thanks, ED!

Yes, I guess your right about it being the plugin's fault. But since the poofs are rare among users, but use of plugin's is not, maybe it's my system (but then again, on two different computers with different OS versions?).

"Terminate REAPER ... " is already disabled. The "Run as" is set as default to Automatic bridging (when required) -- is that dedicated, separated or non of the above? How do I tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
My experience points to Waves being the culprit.
Waves Shell is total crap. But, in this case, only for a few of us. So maybe it's more than just a Waves thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Don't use not-final builds for your real projects. There is even info about it on LoL.
I'm afraid in this case that's irrelevant. I've gotten poofs on official releases as well.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

How will reaper fail in this disabled mode?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:43 AM   #7
cool

Immediately after the crash, you can look at the system logs to understand which process "killed" the Reaper. It helps me find problem plugins. And, yes, as ED said, almost always the problem was because of the plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Kidney

[Vista and Windows 7]
Go 'Control Panel'=>'Administrative Tools'=>'Event Viewer'. The Vista Event Viewer has more branches, go 'Windows Logs'=>'Application'. Since Vista doesn't have a "details" button on its crash notification windows, Event Viewer is the only way to get the needed data here.
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
The "Run as" is set as default to Automatic bridging (when required) -- is that dedicated, separated or non of the above? How do I tell.
Automatic bridging just bridges the plugin if you're loading 32-bit version in 64-bit Reaper (or vice versa). That is not it. You need to right-click the offending plugin (if you find out which one causes the crash), then set Run As for it individually.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

The CPU overload just before crashing points to a particular kind of crash. Keep an eye on your memory consumption to see if you're just plan running out of resources.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #10
vitalker

Quote:
I'm afraid in this case that's irrelevant. I've gotten poofs on official releases as well.
I've written to Judders.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #11
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

In British English, 'poof' is a derogatory word for a gay person. Now take a look at the title of this thread... yikes... could you find another word please?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #12
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
In British English, 'poof' is a derogatory word for a gay person. Now take a look at the title of this thread... yikes... could you find another word please?
I suggest "Ka-ping!"

Means abduction in dutch, which it is: abduction of the project

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
Coachz

Quote:
It's about context. This clearly has nothing to do with gays and therefore doesn't need to be changed.

“I do not fear truth. I welcome it. But I wish all of my facts to be in their proper context.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

“Disinformation is most effective in a very narrow context.” – Frank Snepp
Old 10-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
Icchan

I have automatic save to a new version enabled every 10 or so minutes. That has really made me worry less.. .though it's been quite unnecessary... REAPER just doesn't crash. Plugins do, but I've only had few that have caused that issue and I've been able to get rid of them by updating them or running them in dedicated process etc.

I hope you'll find your culprit... if it is REAPER, I'm sure it'll be dealt with quite fast
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #15
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
In British English, fag is a cigarette and faggot is a bunch of sticks.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
It's about context. This clearly has nothing to do with gays and therefore doesn't need to be changed.
I'm a moderator of this forum, following the rules. Valle is my friend of many years. You are ...I dunno.. someone who's opinion has no place in this? Yeah, that.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #17
JHughes
Banned

By IP address, what is the ratio of American loggers-on to all other countries?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The CPU overload just before crashing points to a particular kind of crash. Keep an eye on your memory consumption to see if you're just plan running out of resources.
Good point! I will check that!

Quote:
Arrrgh! ... I'm so sorry! I didn't know that. To me "poof" has always (at least the past fifteen, twenty years) meant something that "suddenly disappears". I had no idea about other "definitions".

I'll keep the "poof" in the title. But I'll edit out the "death to", which, after all, was kind of stupid way to name a thread.

Again, sorry.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #19
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
I'll keep the "poof" in the title. But I'll edit out the "death to", which, after all, was kind of stupid way to name a thread.
Brilliant, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
By IP address, what is the ratio of American loggers-on to all other countries?
That's irrelevent. I'm British, Valle is Swedish, what's it got to do with anyone else?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
tls11823

Quote:
That's irrelevent. I'm British, Valle is Swedish, what's it got to do with anyone else?
I'm going to assume his thinking goes something like "there are more Americans on here than anybody else, so it only matters how we interpret it". He's special that way.

He also apparently enjoys looking at other people's suntans.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #21
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
I'm going to assume his thinking goes something like "there are more Americans on here than anybody else, so it only matters how we interpret it".
You assume wrongly. You are an incompetent mind reader. But thought and speech police are like that.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #22
poetnprophet

Hello, I also have experienced this "poof", many many times. All the same symptoms mentioned, quick freeze just before it happens and the randomness of it all. I've also developed a habit of Cntrl-S after nearly every single edit....but that's really from my Cakewalk days, haha.

While it may be due to a plugin issue, I simply restart my session and get back to work, I really only lose about 1-2 min of productivity and the session always continues with no problem later. Doesn't happen a lot (in any single session), and I can't pin down any specific plugin or action...but I also haven't looked at it in depth. I does happen about 1-2 times per month though. I tend to use the same plugins on every mix in some form/combo or another.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #23
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Could you please focus on the topic please. The wording-problem has been solved, the other one not.

@Valle
In rare occasions, I experienced these as well, but not often enough to acutally investigate.
Mostly on Mac, when I was programming in ReaScript with buggy functions in extensions, but that was more a case of bugreporting the extension-developers.

In other cases, I never figured that out.

Did you try the old but still best way: deactivating all plugins and reactivating them piece by piece, until the sudden exists reappear?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #24
Coachz

Quote:
I'm a moderator of this forum, following the rules. Valle is my friend of many years. You are ...I dunno.. someone who's opinion has no place in this? Yeah, that.
Oh well if you're going to throw the moderator card out there then there's that but you stated it more like an opinion imo. No worries.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #25
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
You assume wrongly. You are an incompetent mind reader. But thought and speech police are like that.
Acknowledged. Please explain your comment, then so I may be enlightened by your wisdom.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #26
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
I have automatic save to a new version enabled every 10 or so minutes. That has really made me worry less.. .though it's been quite unnecessary... REAPER just doesn't crash. Plugins do, but I've only had few that have caused that issue and I've been able to get rid of them by updating them or running them in dedicated process etc.

I hope you'll find your culprit... if it is REAPER, I'm sure it'll be dealt with quite fast
Yes, I also have backups made automatically every ten minutes. But since I have developed a happy "save"-finger, I've never lost too much work caused by the poofs. Although, ten minutes of work is quite a lot, if one thinks about it.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #27
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
Mostly on Mac, when I was programming in ReaScript with buggy functions in extensions, but that was more a case of bugreporting the extension-developers.
Hmmm, maybe you're on to something there ... I do use a lot of own scripts. I'll check that too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
Did you try the old but still best way: deactivating all plugins and reactivating them piece by piece, until the sudden exists reappear?
I'm not sure that's going to be easy. I can run a project loaded with "heavy" plugins for hours without any issues. And when/if it "poofs", I can reload the project again and go on for another hours and so on. I believe it's not the plugin(s) itself, rather a combination of an operation by me (hit play, move an item, or whatever) and the communication between REAPER and the plugins ... I don't know. Actually, it has also happen ones while I was saving projects.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #28
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Hello, I also have experienced this "poof", many many times. All the same symptoms mentioned, quick freeze just before it happens and the randomness of it all. I've also developed a habit of Cntrl-S after nearly every single edit....but that's really from my Cakewalk days, haha.

While it may be due to a plugin issue, I simply restart my session and get back to work, I really only lose about 1-2 min of productivity and the session always continues with no problem later. Doesn't happen a lot (in any single session), and I can't pin down any specific plugin or action...but I also haven't looked at it in depth. I does happen about 1-2 times per month though. I tend to use the same plugins on every mix in some form/combo or another.
I forgot to mention, I am not using a DEV version, this is the retail Reaper 5.983
Old 10-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #29
grinder

Poof

poof1
/pʊf/
exclamation
exclamation: poof; exclamation: pouf

used to describe a sudden disappearance.
"once you've used it, poof—it's gone"
used to express contemptuous dismissal.
"‘Oh, poof!’ said Will. ‘You say that every year.’"

Origin
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #30
JamesPeters

Come on. I think we all understand both what the original poster meant, and also what White Tie meant. That term is known well enough in America to have become a running joke on the show Arrested Development.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #31
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Come on. I think we all understand both what the original poster meant, and also what White Tie meant. That term is known well enough in America to have become a running joke on the show Arrested Development.
I wish we could get back to the important OT, but to your point: I have been American my whole life and not one single time ever have I heard of poof used or meant in a derogatory way as mentioned here. I'm quite disappointed in all of you frankly at the amount of preconceptions shown here, I thought for sure the Reaper community was above this.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #32
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Never seen it
Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #33
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I wish we could get back to the important OT, but to your point: I have been American my whole life and not one single time ever have I heard of poof used or meant in a derogatory way as mentioned here. I'm quite disappointed in all of you frankly at the amount of preconceptions shown here, I thought for sure the Reaper community was above this.
Same here.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:07 AM   #34
ramses

I get these "poofs" also lately. The issue seems to be linked to instantiating "Crave EQ" as insert fx. What can I do to narrow down what's happening?
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:54 AM   #35
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Poof

poof1
/pʊf/
exclamation
exclamation: poof; exclamation: pouf

used to describe a sudden disappearance.
"once you've used it, poof—it's gone"
used to express contemptuous dismissal.
"‘Oh, poof!’ said Will. ‘You say that every year.’"

Origin

poof2
/pʊf,puːf/

nounINFORMAL•OFFENSIVE
noun: poof; plural noun: poofs; noun: pouf; plural noun: poufs

an effeminate or homosexual man.
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #36
snooks
Banned

It did read pretty differently from this side of the pond.

Now I'm off to eat a faggot, with fava beans and a nice Chianti.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:25 AM   #37
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

The correct term for "poof" is CTD - "Crash to desktop".

Since their prominent feature is the lack of error messages or other hints as to what has caused the termination of the process, they should not be confused with other types of crashes.

Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #38
chip mcdonald

I started seeing a lot of crash-to-desktops in the past half year, something I hadn't seen before. Then Windows forced me onto the 1903 update, and I got the first blue screen I've had in Windows 10.

The C2D "poofing" seemed to be alleviated when I turned off anticipative processing when using a particular plugin that's in beta. I could almost routinely reproduce it, and watching CPU and memory in the resource meter didn't indicate anything was about to happen.

But now it seems like I'm getting ...poofing... a lot of times in general.

/ aside - my computer instincts tell me that some Waves GUIs are doing calls that Reaper doesn't like?
// Waves Abby Roads Plates is almost a guaranteed "G-lock" grey out screen-freeze in certain instances? Again, no indication that memory is suspect, or any inordinately demanding situations
Old 10-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #39
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post

/ aside - my computer instincts tell me that some Waves GUIs are doing calls that Reaper doesn't like?
// Waves Abby Roads Plates is almost a guaranteed "G-lock" grey out screen-freeze in certain instances? Again, no indication that memory is suspect, or any inordinately demanding situations
There are some conflicts possible if Waves and FabFilter are both installed that will randomly cause GUI to freeze when the plugins are visible. Possibly other combos could cause this? There is a registry change for FabFilter IIRC to work around the issue.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #40
DarkStar

^^Do you have any links to the problem explanation or the fix?

I tried Googling but must not be using the right words.