Old 04-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default v5.974+dev0418 - April 18 2019

v5.974+dev0418 - April 18 2019

• + Control surfaces: optimized automated FX parameter notifications
  • + FX: improve performance while stopped and when using large numbers of automated parameters [t=219231]
  • + Notation editor: improve display of tied voiced notes
  • + Takes: update FX window titles when duplicating take via action
  • # API: ValidatePtr2() treat inactive track envelopes as valid
  • # ARA: minor optimization of project load sequence
  • # Notation editor: improve positioning of articulations/ornaments for voiced and beamed notes [t=219883]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

Ok, those automation entries are interesting.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
# Notation editor: improve positioning of articulations/ornaments for voiced and beamed notes
- unvoiced notes (first two in the pic) should have articulations stuck to the notehead as previously

- articulations should keep "nice" positioning - staccato should be in between the staff lines

- if there is room for the articulation to go closer to the beam, it should. Meaning articulations for the highest notes in the picture should go deeper into the staff.
So for the first beam of 16th notes in the pic, the staccato should be: bellow staff, 1st space from the bottom, 1st space, 1st space, 2nd space, 2nd space.

- there is an overlap with the beam in certain situation

Example from Dorico:
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
+ Notation editor: improve display of tied voiced notes
Voiced ties work fine.

But there is still the overall tie problem mentioned previously - its hard to tell which note is actually tied and which one is not.

In the pic, at first sight it looks that the bottom two notes are tied while in fact the upper two notes are tied.

Dorico uses different anchor point for a chord note vs a single note. I don't think we need it that sophisticated, one better placed point would probably be enough for all cases.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the improvements, devs! It´s heading in the right direction, indeed. Apart from the detailed explanations above - concerning what´s missing - I´d like to add a further observation. Take a look at this image :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13A...rmZXt9CKR2iHmB

In that chord, both C natural and C sharp have ties, but only one is visible since they´re overlapped (and leaving aside the fact that the natural symbol is also not visible). It is thus very useful to have the ability to flip/invert/move ties, slurs, and broadly speaking all of these articulations/objects attached to notes since there are way too many situations when visibility is affected to the point of total confussion/clutter. I know that, up until now, articulations are not editable objects themselves and are handled automatically, but I leave here these thoughts in case any improvement can be potentially implemented in this department. Needless to say, this feature is a basic one in, at least, Sibelius and Musescore (and surely Finale, Dorico and the other big ones).

Thanks again for paying attention to this, anyway. It really makes the difference for those of us who use Reaper as a composing tool.

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 04-19-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
It is thus very useful to have the ability to flip/invert/move ties, slurs, and broadly speaking all of these articulations/objects attached to notes
This would definitely be useful, but it needs some more thinking about how it would be implemented and how it would work with current voices for example.

For now I would prefer that devs spend their time fixing things. (of which I still have quite a list)

Last edited by bFooz; 04-19-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
srdmusic

Default Easter Bunny

Is the Easter Bunny bringing us MIDI CC envelopes back to the Pre-Releases?

Pretty please....
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
EvilDragon

I wouldn't bet on it
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I wouldn't bet on it
Have you heard of a timeline for when it might come back? I'm stuck on the last useable version of the midi envelopes but if it's going to be months away I'll update to the current pre-releases.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:54 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Nobody heard anything. It'll happen when it happens, which means whenever devs see fit.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #10
Vagalume

bFooz thanks for your efforts improving notation for those who dream using only reaper for notation, maybe one day ...

My English is not good enough to explain those issues but you do it perfectly, I really appreciate your trouble. Keep doing it, because there are some more things to fix!

Pd: Thanks to DEVS too.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 AM   #11
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
bFooz thanks for your efforts improving notation for those who dream using only reaper for notation, maybe one day ...

My English is not good enough to explain those issues but you do it perfectly, I really appreciate your trouble. Keep doing it, because there are some more things to fix!

Pd: Thanks to DEVS too.
Thanks! I've got still quite a long list of bugs and then some feature request.

Me personally I don't think all notation will be possible in Reaper in future, I understand it differently. I see Reaper as a place for a dirty composing work and then export into a dedicated notation software for final engravement.

But it is a one-of-o-kind tool and if you imagine what scripting can bring to it, it is really awesome. So for me too, thanks devs!