Old 03-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #1
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings

Default [Hard Rock] Opinion about doubling guitar

I am currently recording my band's first album.

We really want to capture the essence of the live energy, so we decided to record all instruments at once in one room, without metronome, preferably in one single take (not editing too much).

Here is the recording (only levels, low-cuts and a bit of tape saturation):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8K...ew?usp=sharing

Now my question is: Will we need to double the guitar in post so that it sounds more "in your face"? I am opting for a sound similar to Queens of the Stone Age / other stoner rock bands.

Obviously, there are still no vocals recorded yet.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
Winfield

I know this is not exactly what you asked, but I'm seeing it as related to what you might be going for.

To me - on headphones - the guitar needs some 'bite' as in more distortion to bring out some top end and give more 'grit' to the palm muted notes. Your reference genre has often some more distortion on the bass as well.

I'm guessing this would bring the guitar(s) more to the 'front' - and perhaps give a better measure as to what might be achieved by doubling the gtr (that being said, doubling them often gives *a lot* - perhaps just try it out on a section.

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
smueske

Cool track! About doubling, I think it depends on what you are looking for. It has a kind of rehearsal space vibe/sound. If it were mine, I'd keep the guitar the way it is and try to get a more present drum sound -- a little more volume, a little more punch and presence. I think the lo-fi, low-tech approach suits the style. Dig the song a lot!
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
Skijumptoes

Agree 100% with smueske. You can do a lot more in mixing with it as is.

Guitar sounds nice and real, and maybe you'll find doubling could work in a chorus?

Hard to say without vocals and hearing those drums punching a bit better - they've got quite a distant/roomy sound right now which does give it a rehearsal room sound, but sounds like you have plenty of headroom to bring them out and pop.

I got a rage against the machine vibe listening, and it's nice hearing the guitar lonesome like that. When you double it gives it more presence and energy, sure, but i think single it keeps things tighter which suits the way this track is shaping up - all depends on vocals and how energetic the chorus gets.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
BCF1

I have to echo some previous points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
- the guitar needs some 'bite' as in more distortion to bring out some top end and give more 'grit' to the palm muted notes.
-W
[QUOTE=smueske;2116288}About doubling, I think it depends on what you are looking for. It has a kind of rehearsal space vibe/sound. I would try to get a more present drum sound[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Agree 100% with smueske. You can do a lot more in mixing with it as is.

Hard to say without vocals and hearing those drums punching a bit better - they've got quite a distant/roomy sound right now which does give it a rehearsal room sound - all depends on vocals
For me, before I could address the guitar tones and any possible double tracking I would need to have the vocals at least scratch track vox.
Having never heard the song with vocals, never having heard the vocalist at all, I lack what I feel is going to be the deciding factor on the questions originally asked. Vocal is focal point.
Besides the likely non-helpful response I've already made I would like to add I really like the track !! The potential is definitely there for a killer tune. Dig the genre and style. Lookin forward to hearing it with vocals !!! Great job

Bring It !!!!
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:55 AM   #6
TheProbe

Hello!

I like the Guitar tone and the whole recording sounding cohesive. To me the production has a seventies warm rock sound which is no bad thing.

For me I would double up the guitar in places but the main riff sounds great with a single guitar.

I double and even quadrouple my guitars somtimes to try and go for a wall of guitar sound - its nice to hear your music breath a bit.
TheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote