Old 06-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,546
Default Curved Computer Screens?

Do any of you have a curved computer Screen?

If so Do you like it?

If you like it, please explain why.

Any other comments would be greatly accepted.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 851
Default

I have a 27" curved as a 2nd monitor. I like it, I honestly feel like there is more screen real estate viewable, but the footprint is about the same as my 24". I am so used to it now I don't even notice it curves.

I used to use it for the mixer, in which I noticed the curvature much more. It never really bothered me but it was something to get used to for sure. Now I use it for plugins, web browser, OBS, misc stuff. I don't notice it at all, but when I'm at home and using another monitor, it does feel much more flat, I feel like I'm looking left/right to view the screen where with the curved I do not feel I'm left/right as much if at all.

It's hard to explain...but the main thing is there are no real drawbacks for me....other than getting the cheapest one I could find and having poor image quality, ha.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I have a 27" curved as a 2nd monitor. I like it, I honestly feel like there is more screen real estate viewable, but the footprint is about the same as my 24". I am so used to it now I don't even notice it curves.

I used to use it for the mixer, in which I noticed the curvature much more. It never really bothered me but it was something to get used to for sure. Now I use it for plugins, web browser, OBS, misc stuff. I don't notice it at all, but when I'm at home and using another monitor, it does feel much more flat, I feel like I'm looking left/right to view the screen where with the curved I do not feel I'm left/right as much if at all.

It's hard to explain...but the main thing is there are no real drawbacks for me....other than getting the cheapest one I could find and having poor image quality, ha.
Thanks poetnprophet, It's good to hear your personal experience.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Not_Here
Human being with feelings
 
Not_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: West Coast - Sun again, Sun today, Sun tomorrow...
Posts: 556
Default

34" LG monitor suspended on floating arm over the laptop. I love having this much real estate to spread things out on. the widescreen is at 3440 x 1440 , the laptop is 1920 x 1080.

The curvature looks a little exaggerated in the pic.. my fault/ in a hurry on the phone.. There are two basic curvatures in big monitors and this is the lesser of the choices.

I will say it is a Fantastic monitor for everything Reaper. That's forty tracks (at standard reaper default for reference)

the refresh is completely flicker free, Easy on my eyes, It's not so wide as to cause any eyestrain as the curve places the entire screen at an equal distance edges to middle. As Above it feels strange to go to work and use a flat panel, kind of awkward.
All the smallest fonts a very clear, and no pixelation or rough edges I can read every little FX name and every little number is perfectly clear ( I can post a high res photo very easily if you like too)

look up on Amazon if you like - LG 34UC80-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor with USB Quick Charge
with this arm - AmazonBasics Premium Single 32 Inch Monitor Stand - Lift Engine Arm Mount, Aluminum

Any specific info you're curious about lemme know!

__________________
Rockin the Not_Room... Kali LP6 |iLoud |Mackie Big Knob |2i2 |Bugera |Ibanez |Amplitube |PRS Supermodels |iRig Stomp I/O |ARC 2.5 |
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Not_Here
Human being with feelings
 
Not_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: West Coast - Sun again, Sun today, Sun tomorrow...
Posts: 556
Default

just noticed other thread... dang it.. eh I'll leave the post for info's sake anyways.
__________________
Rockin the Not_Room... Kali LP6 |iLoud |Mackie Big Knob |2i2 |Bugera |Ibanez |Amplitube |PRS Supermodels |iRig Stomp I/O |ARC 2.5 |
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
34" LG monitor suspended on floating arm over the laptop. I love having this much real estate to spread things out on. the widescreen is at 3440 x 1440 , the laptop is 1920 x 1080.

The curvature looks a little exaggerated in the pic.. my fault/ in a hurry on the phone.. There are two basic curvatures in big monitors and this is the lesser of the choices.

I will say it is a Fantastic monitor for everything Reaper. That's forty tracks (at standard reaper default for reference)

the refresh is completely flicker free, Easy on my eyes, It's not so wide as to cause any eyestrain as the curve places the entire screen at an equal distance edges to middle. As Above it feels strange to go to work and use a flat panel, kind of awkward.
All the smallest fonts a very clear, and no pixelation or rough edges I can read every little FX name and every little number is perfectly clear ( I can post a high res photo very easily if you like too)

look up on Amazon if you like - LG 34UC80-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor with USB Quick Charge
with this arm - AmazonBasics Premium Single 32 Inch Monitor Stand - Lift Engine Arm Mount, Aluminum

Any specific info you're curious about lemme know!

Wow, that looks really cool Not_Here, a great setup.

I gotta ask, don't you have to look up a lot? If so doesn't it get to your neck?

Thanks Not_Here.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
tack
Human being with feelings
 
tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 707
Default

Acer Predator X34 here. I really like this display. The curve is barely noticeable during daily use. I used to think it was a gimmick, but for monitors this size and larger, a subtle curve actually does help keep things readable.

tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #8
Not_Here
Human being with feelings
 
Not_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: West Coast - Sun again, Sun today, Sun tomorrow...
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Wow, that looks really cool Not_Here, a great setup.

I gotta ask, don't you have to look up a lot? If so doesn't it get to your neck?

Thanks Not_Here.
In fact no.. sitting in my chair the middle of the monitor is even with my eyes looking straight ahead level. Downward half an eyeball is the laptop, speaker tweets are even with ears and just below midline on big monitor about 36" apart. I'm sitting at that nice triangle sweetspot.

No looking up required due to the floating arm. Also pulled desk about 8 inches out from wall so that I can push big Monitor back about 8" from front plane of speakers - in hopes to minimize any reflection from the screen.

***have to also mention that is a Dave Kehl Template I'm using - awesome...
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Acer Predator X34 here. I really like this display. The curve is barely noticeable during daily use. I used to think it was a gimmick, but for monitors this size and larger, a subtle curve actually does help keep things readable.
That vertical rotation is pretty cool huh? Mine has that too but no need for it (yet......) I was thinking about adding two more and having them on the sides (same orientation) as a wrap around for some sim racing, (my other vice) but couldn't figure out how to make it be practical with the mixing.. oh well a man can dream...
lucky I have a wide monitor too - your pic is a bit wider than the laptop resolution hahahahaaa beautiful room btw....
__________________
Rockin the Not_Room... Kali LP6 |iLoud |Mackie Big Knob |2i2 |Bugera |Ibanez |Amplitube |PRS Supermodels |iRig Stomp I/O |ARC 2.5 |

Last edited by Not_Here; 06-21-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Acer Predator X34 here. I really like this display. The curve is barely noticeable during daily use. I used to think it was a gimmick, but for monitors this size and larger, a subtle curve actually does help keep things readable.
Very nice tack, a great looking setup. $1000 is a little out of my price range.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
In fact no.. sitting in my chair the middle of the monitor is even with my eyes looking straight ahead level. Downward half an eyeball is the laptop, speaker tweets are even with ears and just below midline on big monitor about 36" apart. I'm sitting at that nice triangle sweetspot.

No looking up required due to the floating arm. Also pulled desk about 8 inches out from wall so that I can push big Monitor back about 8" from front plane of speakers - in hopes to minimize any reflection from the screen.

***have to also mention that is a Dave Kehl Template I'm using - awesome...

I looked you're LG up and it is nice, but it's also over my budget.

In your picture, is that screen horizontally split?
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #11
Not_Here
Human being with feelings
 
Not_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: West Coast - Sun again, Sun today, Sun tomorrow...
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I looked you're LG up and it is nice, but it's also over my budget.

In your picture, is that screen horizontally split?
Nope, its just two reaper windows I sized to share the space. Mouse wheel scrolls either screen to where I want and resizes tracks in the top window, and slides tracks in mixer view. Mouse wheel side ways click also scrolls cursor through waveforms or envelopes just fine too.

It's kind of cool if I open a window Full Screen and scroll it from the bottom to the top it gives the feeling of the screen sliding down like a waterfall behind the laptop...


Now if I can just get this space nailed down sound wise I should be batting a 1000

Too bad About the Budget monster.. I lucked out at the time and got this while I could. Now though? It's franks and beans if I want to buy anything outside of my budget, I know how it is man.
Room treatment is gonna be rough, but I could stand to lose a couple pounds....
__________________
Rockin the Not_Room... Kali LP6 |iLoud |Mackie Big Knob |2i2 |Bugera |Ibanez |Amplitube |PRS Supermodels |iRig Stomp I/O |ARC 2.5 |
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.