Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
jernious
Human being with feelings

Default 'Bouncing' the MIDI output of a track?

Hello fellow Reaper friends,

I'm working on a project where I need to measure timing from a beep-signal to a vocal response in an audio recording.

I'd like to use ReaGate's MIDI output to write a MIDI file, extract the 'note on' times and use those as a basis for my calculations in a spreadsheet.

My issue is that the audio files are long, and I prefer not to real-time-record the MIDI output from the gate, as then I have to wait out the playback of the full audio file.

Is there a way to 'bounce' the gate's MIDI output to a MIDI file, in the same way as when you render an audio stem? (I.e. non-real-time but many times faster)

(btw, the note on detection through ReaGate works really well and clean and it's really easy to check and adjust the results in the MIDI editor, so I'd rather not go the way of dynamic splitting the audio file etc..)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
jernious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
DarkStar

Send the MIDI to another track. Set that track to Record Output (MIDI). Play the track. When done, open the MIDI Editor for the recorded MIDI and File > Export it.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
jernious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Send the MIDI to another track. Set that track to Record Output (MIDI). Play the track. When done, open the MIDI Editor for the recorded MIDI and File > Export it.
Thanks. I know it works that way, but the point is to make it bounce faster than real time. Any idea how to do that?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
domzy

might be a mad idea, but have you tried increasing the playrate?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
jernious

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
might be a mad idea, but have you tried increasing the playrate?
Thanks. As impatient as I am, I immediately tried this when waiting for a test run

I think it works (don't know if it works while recording), but won't it make the attack/release/hold settings on the gate a bit unpredictable?

As I have to process 40 files of about 35 minutes each, I will probably put them all in one project, each with their own gate and MIDI output track and do the 'recording' on all of them in parallel.

But still curious to know if it's possible in 'rendering' style.

(edit: just tested: the playrate control works while recording, but does give issues with my 'hold' setting on the gate)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
domzy

yeah, i would have thought you'd have to adjust your gate settings, but it could work i would think
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote