Old 09-17-2020, 05:49 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Move active comp to top lane

I recently discovered this action in one of Kenny's videos .

I find this really useful to move my takes to the top lane rather than having them higgledy-piggledy all over the various lanes. It would be nice if there were some way of having the items you choose go automatically to the top lane!
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:12 AM   #2
Coachz

Not just pick the best takes and then crop and glue them. That's what I do. commit baby
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks for your answer Coachz. I understand you sentitme. It's just that when I have my takes at the top, I sometimes think, that one could be better, for example, and if I look in the takes below it easier to see my starting point.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
Thanks for your answer Coachz. I understand you sentitme. It's just that when I have my takes at the top, I sometimes think, that one could be better, for example, and if I look in the takes below it easier to see my starting point.
I don't understand. I split my takes into sections and highlight the best sections of each take. Let's say I took four passes.

I might split that up into three different sections for example. I might take section 1 from take 2, section 2 from take 3 and section 3 from take one.

As I play those and try other sections to see if they sound better once I find what sounds the best I select everything and crop and glue and I have a finished single take.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

I do exactly the same Coachz. But then I have have the takes moved to the top lane. Sometimes I change my mind and then click something and then accidently end up in the wrong lane. I don't feel very comfortable using the T key to move up or down.

I don't glue the tracks, I just do the ctrl + L thing, unless I want to make a loop out of something, when I do glue.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
I do exactly the same Coachz. But then I have have the takes moved to the top lane. Sometimes I change my mind and then click something and then accidently end up in the wrong lane. I don't feel very comfortable using the T key to move up or down.

I don't glue the tracks, I just do the ctrl + L thing, unless I want to make a loop out of something, when I do glue.
Oh you just need to stop changing your mind. He he. Luckily my musicians are pretty bad so when I get a good take it really stands out
Old 09-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
panicaftermath

I use colors to mark what is currently the best take, then I reset colors as better takes appear.
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
Burnsjethro

That's interesting Panicaftermath. Would you care to explain that a bit more? How do you colour takes?
Old 09-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
panicaftermath

It is possible to define custom colors, and then to define actions that will apply those custom colors to an item, or to the active take in an item, and to assign that command to a particular key. Having done that you can color code individual takes with a single keystroke. So for example: SWS: Set selected take(s) to custom color 1.

If you search the Actions window for combinations of 'color' 'take' set' 'default' you'll find all the actions to set it up. You'll need the SWS extension.

I've got four custom colors set up. One of them is the "default color" which (as it seems to work) is not an actual color itself, but will inherit the color of the track it is in, or that it gets moved to, unless the item itself has been directly given a non-default color, in which case it will retain that color even if moved to a differently colored track. You can see that towards the end of the clip below, at around 0:45, after the takes in the item have been "exploded in place" and the now separate items are moved between the two tracks, their colors changing, or not, depending on whether they are set to a custom color or to the default.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicaftermath View Post
It is possible to define custom colors, and then to define actions that will apply those custom colors to an item, or to the active take in an item, and to assign that command to a particular key. Having done that you can color code individual takes with a single keystroke. So for example: SWS: Set selected take(s) to custom color 1.

If you search the Actions window for combinations of 'color' 'take' set' 'default' you'll find all the actions to set it up. You'll need the SWS extension.

I've got four custom colors set up. One of them is the "default color" which (as it seems to work) is not an actual color itself, but will inherit the color of the track it is in, or that it gets moved to, unless the item itself has been directly given a non-default color, in which case it will retain that color even if moved to a differently colored track. You can see that towards the end of the clip below, at around 0:45, after the takes in the item have been "exploded in place" and the now separate items are moved between the two tracks, their colors changing, or not, depending on whether they are set to a custom color or to the default.

Is it possible to Loop over the takes and look for specific colors to then select them and prop and glue them?
Old 09-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
panicaftermath

Good question.

It's possible to set an active take to a specified color, as above.

But is the opposite possible: to set a take of a specified color to be the active one?

IOW: Make active all takes of custom color n.

EDIT: Actually, I misread your question and answered something else altogether.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #12
Coachz

I'm just trying to come up with a simple way to mark the active takes and then have a script select them so that I can crop and glue them. Any help very appreciated
Old 09-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #13
panicaftermath

If you have a set of items, with active takes, you can select all those items, and crop them to the active take. In that sense they are already "marked" as active. But color coding makes them easier to distinguish.

I have a custom macro that "extracts" the active take from the selected item(s) and creates a new item in place, directly below the original item, while still retaining that take in the original item, but colors it to custom color 1. It could just as easily delete the extracted take.

I have this mapped to Ctrl+Shift+x for eXtract.

I don't recall the specific reason I have those first commands in there twice, probably to accommodate all the common possible locations of the play cursor (and possibly also the state of the time selection) at the time the macro is first run, and ensures that the cursor is always on the left edge of the item before proceeding. From there, it's all pretty "brute force." But it works.

I love it that Reaper lets us do this.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:48 AM   #14
Burnsjethro

Thanks for the detailed explanation Panicaftermath