Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
guitarman77
Human being with feelings

Default Master Peak Confusion

The master peak meter has typical displayed a numeric peak value on just the left meter and has been displaying -inf (with no audio signal on the blue bars) on the right (see screenshot). I've been assuming that this has been showing me a combined peak value on the left/right channels and the two blue bars were visually displaying the left and right channels.

In a new project today, I am noticing that the meter is displaying numerical values on both sides and a all 4 blue bars are lighting up. The stereo field sounds the same and I haven't made any changes so I am confused.

Why are there a total of 4 blue bars? Should all my projects be showing numeric values on both sides and displaying signal on all 4 blue bars? The right handle meter is also peaking way hotter than the left one in this project btw (-0.8 on the right vs. -6.6 on the left)
Attached Images
File Type: png Peak Meter Displaying -inf.png (43.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: png Peak Meters.png (47.4 KB, 186 views)
guitarman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman77 View Post
Why are there a total of 4 blue bars?
Because of the theme you are using. Left + right = RMS. Inner 2 left and right = peak.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
guitarman77

The outer 2 green meters are RMS, then there are 4 inner blue meters. Are you saying the theme I have is separating the peak bars into 4 when they should really be viewed as just 2 (1 for left and 1 for right)?

If that's true why have my previous projects shown -inf on one of the inner peaks meters? (see screenshot "Peak Meter Displaying -inf.png" in original post). Wouldn't that indicate that everything is on the left?
Old 07-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Dstruct

Ah sorry - you have "Multichannel metering" enabled on the Master track and your Master track is set to 4 channels. Channels 3+4 are silent in your case (in the first image).
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
1111Eugene

you can add a hundred or more inputs and outputs to any channel
usually additional channels are used for sidechain signal. So you have not just a one optional sidechain for a track, but roughly unlimited. Sending an audio onto different from 1\2 input channels, automatically adds 2 more channels to a track and a meter for them. Click routing on a needed track and there's the option in the right top corner (AFAIR), switch it back to 2 channels.
1111Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
guitarman77

Thanks guys! Makes sense