Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Default help me find MY distro please

Posted in the wrong place earlier:

Since I currently have an old spare Win10 on a core 2 duo dell box, what would be the easiest way to get a basic Linux for music distro installed on it that will run LInux reaper AND my little RME Babyface?

Suppose I should wander over to the Linux area...

In the meantime I have done a few live runs with things like Puppy and of course Mint.#Got an old version o f Ubuntu Studio loading as I type.
Any suggestions for me & my babyface? 2.5 core 2 duo, 4gb ram & now it has a 320gb 5400 hard drive.
Runs win10 home 64bit fine if a little slowly.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
JamesPeters

First: do you plan to run native Linux software only (such as I do) or do you want to use Windows plugins (etc.)

Second: what software do you plan to run (Linux software).

Third: do you mind changing the configuration of your distro when necessary, or are you averse to that kind of thing.

A distro that's more audio-specific could be a good choice if you want to try to run "everything possible" since it'll have a low latency kernel by default, JACK and WINE etc. installed already, and hopefully configured well. However if you're only using native Linux stuff you can use just about any distro (then it's just a matter of whether the software you want to run is available in the repo for that distro, or if you have to add another software source to your package manager).

And you might have to swap kernels but that's easy to do too.

Here's a post I made explaining what I did with my distro install.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=13

I have no experience installing RME products in Linux, so you'll have to search for that I guess (if no one else with that experience posts replies).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Lokasenna

Fourth: How much time are you prepared to spend messing around in a terminal?

For having things set up out of the box, I think Ubuntu Studio (that's what I'm on) or AVLinux are the obvious choices.

As far as your interface, it looks like you're in luck - it's class-compliant, so it should comparatively straightforward to get running. You won't be able to use TotalMix or the internal DSP though.

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/hw/rme_babyface
Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Yeah I'd have mentioned "fourth" but I was waiting for a reply. And I didn't expect I'd be recommending Arch to him.

I just poked around to see what I could find about the Babyface, and yes as Lokasenna said: since you need to use "class-compliant mode" to use it in Linux, you can't use the Linux HDSPmixer for RME devices (which is similar to TotalMix) in Linux. Even if you could use HDSPmixer, that wouldn't allow you to use any onboard DSP anyway.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 06-25-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:42 AM   #5
ivansc

Interesting read chaps and thanks for the advice. Busy wekk coming up but I did slap Ubuntu Studio 18.04 on last night but wont have time to really thrash it much trill next week. Great to be able to use an old computer up. This one all I have had to do is put a bigger hard drive that I had lying about in it & replace the DVD drive which works but wont open and close without a paperclip in the little hole & then its a crap shoot if it sees the dvd or not. Bought a refurb for £10.

I am planning on leaving this machine in our house in france for when I visit. |Or using it in the UK as a linux learning tool...
Old 06-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #6
sub26nico

ivansc, if you can deal with French (iirc you are ), take a look at LibraZiK distro (link in my signatutre)
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
SmajjL

I am using the notes from here myself so I can swap to headphones.
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24447

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
mike@overtonedsp

I've been developing plug-ins and other audio applications for Linux (and other OS) for the past decade, and I've never needed anything other than a standard Ubuntu LTS distro. Now Reaper is available for Linux too, it's even easier. Just install Ubuntu, get Reaper, make music.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #9
Glennbo

I went with Xubuntu, because I like the native xfce desktop, It's still essentially Ubuntu under the hood, but lighter weight.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
Gil Navarro

I tried a bunch of distros. When I got to Mint I stopped. Simple to use. No issues.
Gil Navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:55 AM   #11
Tobbe

I think I found the right one to: Linux Mint XFCE. Fast, clean and nice looking.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #12
calimerox

linux mint with kxstudio repos would be my choice to start with linux.

i run a rme multifaceII and it is very stable supported and i got with hdspconf and hdspmixer some basic rme functionalities covered...
calimerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
s wave

I like mint cinnamon - with samba server and timeshift for resetting (if needed) but if I wanted to do more live mullti tracking I would go with Xfce.
I have had great stability and great ease incorporating all the cool standalones... hydrogen/lmms/zyndub/bristol etc.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #14
SmajjL

I would go with Mint also my internet does not like my dualboot switching back n forth though, Windows have to wait ssssome time to be hooked up again.. :/
Not a problem if, I had two computers maby.
Linux has not been sleeping since last year, even the gameing side have got some love.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
Glennbo

I had a chance to play around with the XFCE version of Linux Mint yesterday, and I liked it quite a bit, because it had preinstalled most of the tools I use, which aren't there by default in Xubuntu.

I ended up setting the machine I was working with (not my DAW) with Xubuntu though in the end because I needed to run a specific daily perl script which was throwing out errors about cpan/json that would have taken too long to straighten out, and I already knew it would work on Xubuntu.

I'm thinking I might buy another SSD at some point and try setting up my DAW with the XFCE version of Linux Mint where I could just pop my current drive back in if I hit some big snag or something.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #16
SmajjL

My mouth is still open about the Steam Play Proton thing, most stuff work that I need.. what the heck just happened, like?..
Only thing left is to try Manjaro just for the Arch/AUR thing to see if I can see for sure the mouse polling rate is OK and if One game is still slow on response time (fire button) with that, other than that, hello Linux!

One alternative If SSD space is worth Gold then maby try make a database in the media explorer of samples laying on a mechanical, and REAPER and it's database would be on the SSD, samples is loaded into the mem anyway isn't it?
I just did and went abit, why the heck have I not tried that one before until now?

Still learning forever overhere.. might as well try XFCE also, see if that thing have even more options as buttons.

---

Later that day: Nope, the allmighty very updated to the max Manjaro had the same issue and polling was and is right, so, Mint it shall be, just gonna have a look at that XFCE, make a choice, setttle, done. (I hope)

----

... .. .

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-02-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I had a chance to play around with the XFCE version of Linux Mint yesterday, and I liked it quite a bit, because it had preinstalled most of the tools I use, which aren't there by default in Xubuntu.

I ended up setting the machine I was working with (not my DAW) with Xubuntu though in the end because I needed to run a specific daily perl script which was throwing out errors about cpan/json that would have taken too long to straighten out, and I already knew it would work on Xubuntu.

I'm thinking I might buy another SSD at some point and try setting up my DAW with the XFCE version of Linux Mint where I could just pop my current drive back in if I hit some big snag or something.
I have a few old pcs - my daily driver is mint - but I often will swap out the hard drives from Fedora Mint Window 7 Modicia xfce kali etc. It is SO nice to have compatible drivers and bios - to make it flawless the mobos have to be chosen with a little care but much worth the effort. (hi amigo smajjl)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #18
JamesPeters

I tried MX Linux first. It was good, no real problems (except for some wonkiness during a rolling update which may have been my fault). It's lagging behind on the GCC package version though, which means the latest ReaPack doesn't work unless I force a later GCC to install (and I don't like messing with dependencies). I found its repos to be more up to date with some stuff, and included more software than usual. So it's a bit give-and-take in that regard for my experience.

Then I tried Mint XFCE which is fine too.

Both the above are a bit behind on the kernel version. So I'm probably going to use Xubuntu or Ubuntu with XFCE next. I like keeping the kernel up to date. Official Ubuntu repos are pretty good too (for instance Gimp is more current in Xubuntu, as well as MX Linux). I don't see much reason for sticking with Mint. It doesn't offer me anything (that I notice) as an advantage over Ubuntu/Xubuntu. Maybe if I liked Cinnamon DE I'd want to use "normal" Mint and I'd prefer it to Ubuntu/Xubuntu. I can't think of any other reason though.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:43 AM   #19
SmajjL

Remembered you liked MX last time and I have not tried it yet to know why myself and today it is on top of distrowatch, just started again and I am still in shock!! because, I have not even been back to Windows 10 AT ALL yet, lol, even games are working so.. and I am on a "power" PC, and Still! would Loöve to go Linux, now finally, I can! and I did not know this few days ago.

The reasoning in my case for Mint is that for example Bitwig is straight up Ubuntu and I feel better just grabbing software from the source (the company itself) and then manage to install it without installing any extras of what have we, REAPER is fine with Ubuntu also, Music is fine. (your reapack issue noted)

Mint has a Kernel option in the Update Manager now and is currently up to 5.0.0-25 and I could just go to Kernels and grab more and install and it would end up there for me to try and choose during boot.
But yeah, I might need to try a low latency kernel as the sound in one game was the actual issue I was having (not much but enough to sense the OFF'ness) and no low latency is on Mint as standard as far as I know, still have to read, catch up with whats up (today) with what I should do or not, do.

My Linux distro and flavour is not exactly written in stone, just need everything to work without issues.
SmajjL have a secret crush for Manjaro also and I think they have a low latency Kernel on their list.
Anyway, so happy! this is nutts & incredible! finally!

yo yo! s wave!

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-19-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:55 AM   #20
SmajjL

It was a real-time kernel Manjaro had and now the sound timeing in the game is, perfect!
REAPER has no problem running, check.
The smooth scrolling on Firefox is quite great now I noticed, ohh details..
Someone should have made efforts with making a Bitwig flatpak or something like that, see if I can find it, so far so great! check!
Manjaro KDE 'ed btw.

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-19-2019 at 04:59 AM. Reason: My smileys are in order? check! :)
Old 08-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #21
JamesPeters

MX, Mint, Xubuntu... they all have low-latency kernels you can install from their software managers.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 AM   #22
SmajjL

Great, because i'm gonna need it!! (yodels*)
Archalien worked though for the Bitwig thingie though, though.
Think i'd admit that I will try some distros now and admit that it's kinda fun.
What distro would be the Manjaro of Ubuntu-land?

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-19-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #23
JamesPeters

Also although I know I can update the kernel to a more current one in most distros, I prefer to use a distro that is using a more current kernel by default. It is more likely to work correctly.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 AM   #24
SmajjL

Yeah, I actually broke the Nvidia drivers on MATE but, open that it could be me..
Will have a look at that xubuntu.
And after that Ubuntu MATE again to see if I can install a low latency without breaking anything, first xub, see what it's got.

--

Nope, MATE is more my thing of middle ground'ness, let's see if I can install a LLK..

--

All went fine on Ubuntu MATE, installed a llk and Nvidia after, all went well, but I ussumption that I was the problem on Mint and not sure if I should go back on Mint MATE, try this again, might prefeer Mint, see? unless someone have a reason for me not to. not sure, not easy, hmm, aahhhh!!-
Anyway, all good.

Mint may be lagging behind, do I really need this or that, can I get what is missing myself? right, thx SmajjL..

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-19-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #25
Glennbo

I've got Xubuntu running on five of the seven computers in the house (two Win8 tablets) including the DAW. Just in the last two days I converted one of my last Win7 machines over to Xubuntu.

The very last Win7 machine which is a media center in the living room, will be replaced in the next few weeks with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running LibreELEC.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #26
SmajjL

I believe you Glennbo! specially now when even gameing is possible. :cool

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-02-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #27
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I would go with Mint (Manjaro) also my internet does not like my dualboot switching back n forth though, Windows have to wait ssssome time to be hooked up again.. :/
Not a problem if, I had two computers maby.

Connect your router, problem solved and it has a firewall also, right? ok..

*Slap!*

Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #28
bachstudies

Location: No longer using REAPER and no longer active in the forums.

I'm on AntiX with low-latency kernel (Liquorix, I think) for all my Linux-based audio editing and mastering. I remember having to use an older version of the kernel as the most recent at the time played hell with my mouse cursor smoothness). I use Ardour and Mixbus with pretty much all free plugins...Being a classical guy, my processing is minimal. I can't live without the x42 LUFS meter plugins (Klangfreund multimeter and LUFS meter are also excellent for the price asked!), and Loudmax with ISP enabled is great for any pesky peaks...When parallel compression is required (a la Bob Katz "transparent"), the x42 compressor is great too. For times I need artificial reverb, x42 convo.lv2 works really well using the Bricasti impulses from Samplicity. When Reaper on Linux matures some, I'll consider it! For now, whenever I need good sample instruments via Kontakt, I use Reaper in Windows and then push it all to Ardour/Mixbus on AntiX Linux for mastering. If AntiX seems a little bare-bones in the GUI department, there's always MX Linux which is my day-to-day OS for everything aside from audio. 'Tis the first distro ever that has made me give up distro hopping (and if you knew me, that's quite the feat!).

For what it's worth, as much as I love ubuntu-based distros for general emailing, browsing etc., for audio I'd stick with debian-based as you'll have far better success with latency and things just working from the get-go...
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #29
SmajjL

LoL, I just had a peep at that MX Linux and holy s-h the stuff available.. it's loaded..
And it has that Alien tool if something needs to be converted, hopefully works.

So stable as a rock and good with latency did you say? huh.. must XP that for myself.. thx , here I go.. again..

---

Distro flavour/hopping... tell me about it.. always soooomething-.. this is getting funny

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #30
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
I'm on AntiX with low-latency kernel (Liquorix, I think) for all my Linux-based audio editing and mastering. I remember having to use an older version of the kernel as the most recent at the time played hell with my mouse cursor smoothness). I use Ardour and Mixbus with pretty much all free plugins...Being a classical guy, my processing is minimal. I can't live without the x42 LUFS meter plugins (Klangfreund multimeter and LUFS meter are also excellent for the price asked!), and Loudmax with ISP enabled is great for any pesky peaks...When parallel compression is required (a la Bob Katz "transparent"), the x42 compressor is great too. For times I need artificial reverb, x42 convo.lv2 works really well using the Bricasti impulses from Samplicity. When Reaper on Linux matures some, I'll consider it! For now, whenever I need good sample instruments via Kontakt, I use Reaper in Windows and then push it all to Ardour/Mixbus on AntiX Linux for mastering. If AntiX seems a little bare-bones in the GUI department, there's always MX Linux which is my day-to-day OS for everything aside from audio. 'Tis the first distro ever that has made me give up distro hopping (and if you knew me, that's quite the feat!).

For what it's worth, as much as I love ubuntu-based distros for general emailing, browsing etc., for audio I'd stick with debian-based as you'll have far better success with latency and things just working from the get-go...
I second using Ardour in conjunction with Reaper (some masterng and things). I wonder if you can load Ardour as an external editor in Reaper...RLOL!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:04 AM   #31
SmajjL

Looks like we can try distros straight on the web browser..
https://distrotest.net/

Old 09-13-2019, 03:40 AM   #32
calimerox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
It was a real-time kernel Manjaro had and now the sound timeing in the game is, perfect!
REAPER has no problem running, check.
The smooth scrolling on Firefox is quite great now I noticed, ohh details..
Someone should have made efforts with making a Bitwig flatpak or something like that, see if I can find it, so far so great! check!
Manjaro KDE 'ed btw.

Install bitwig-studio through AUR, I use the command yaourt bitwig-studio for that...
calimerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:55 AM   #33
SmajjL

Yeah I know rox, but for some reason I am downloading straight from the site and then use archalien bitwig3.02-blabla.deb, works for me and maby that's how the AUR Bitwig-studio one does it anyway?
And, I can get it the second Bitwig announces it.