Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-09-2019, 03:18 AM   #1
Tobbe
Human being with feelings

Default [SOLVED] How do I install two Reapers?

Hi,

I have Reaper installed /opt/REAPER and ~/.config/REAPER. If I want to have another instance installed, how do I do that (just for testing stuff)? I want it to be clean and slick.

I tried to install in ~/.OTR/REAPER but when I start it loads the previous one.

So...one Reaper that I use for making music with all my plugins and templates.

And...one clean without any plugins except native one's for testing and other things.

Last edited by Tobbe; 07-09-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Solved it by installing two portable installation of Reaper
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Glennbo

I'd try just un-archiving to some folder, like Downloads, and not run the installer script at all. Then just navigate to it with a file browser or terminal and run the reaper executable file.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'd try just un-archiving to some folder, like Downloads, and not run the installer script at all. Then just navigate to it with a file browser or terminal and run the reaper executable file.
Downloaded, extracted in Download folder. move over to REAPER folder and click on reaper execute file. It starts my previous installation with my theme of choice - Commala 2016 and OTR Template. Not a fresh new installation with 5.0 theme.

Moved REAPER folder outside Download and the same thing occur, it starts my previous REAPER installation.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
BobF

Portable installs don't clobber each other
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Glennbo

Looks like the .config/REAPER/reaper.ini file is getting used no matter where a REAPER folder is located or which copy you run. I renamed my .config/REAPER folder and then launched REAPER. I watched it instantly create a new .config/REAPER folder.

I didn't try messing with it any further, but possibly having multiple .config/REAPER folders that you manually switch in and out could achieve REAPER with multiple configurations.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
Tobbe

Default [SOLVED]

Fixed by uninstall the original install. Copy REAPER folder to 2 instances and renamed them reaper_org and reaper_otr. Created two launchers and two different icon so I know which one to start. Everything is okie dokie. Copied reaper.ini for the original install, deleted everyhing inside and started reaper. It creates folders and everyting neat and clean.

Two portable installations with different setup. One clean and the second one with theme and templates. Swell!

Thank you!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Fixed by uninstall the original install. Copy REAPER folder to 2 instances and renamed them reaper_org and reaper_otr. Created two launchers and two different icon so I know which one to start. Everything is okie dokie. Copied reaper.ini for the original install, deleted everyhing inside and started reaper. It creates folders and everyting neat and clean.

Two portable installations with different setup. One clean and the second one with theme and templates. Swell!

Thank you!
Out of curiosity, have you tried running both instances at the same time? And if you try, what's the result?

I have a problem with Reaper not having enough midi ports out to a big standalone instance of Linuxsampler running all my samples, and i'm thinking of giving R a rest for a while, and using something else, but if both instances can be running at the same time, and they can sync correctly (and of course, both use Jack correctly), then I may be able to work something out with splitting my orchestra in half, and working in adjacent desktops.

Alex.

[EDIT] Never mind, i just tried it. Reaper-1 and Reaper-2. When i try to open Reaper-2 in a terminal, it tells me it's reverting to the already running instance and stops.
Worth a try!

Last edited by alextone; 07-17-2019 at 07:09 AM.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
Out of curiosity, have you tried running both instances at the same time? And if you try, what's the result?

I have a problem with Reaper not having enough midi ports out to a big standalone instance of Linuxsampler running all my samples, and i'm thinking of giving R a rest for a while, and using something else, but if both instances can be running at the same time, and they can sync correctly (and of course, both use Jack correctly), then I may be able to work something out with splitting my orchestra in half, and working in adjacent desktops.

Alex.

[EDIT] Never mind, i just tried it. Reaper-1 and Reaper-2. When i try to open Reaper-2 in a terminal, it tells me it's reverting to the already running instance and stops.
Worth a try!
I can only have one Reaper started.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
Try: reaper -newinst
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #10
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Secret options. Thank you. Anymore up your sleeve?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #11
Jack Winter

Try: reaper -help
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
BobF

Quote:
Try: reaper -help
LOL!
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #13
Tobbe

Old 07-23-2019, 05:06 AM   #14
alextone

Quote:

Hehe, thanks for the heads up Jack. I'll try it when i get home.

Alex.