Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
RBowlin
Human being with feelings

Default We need more dockability

I don't know any other way to say it than we just need to be able to dock things in locatons other than the bottom of the TCP. FOr me, docking the track manager on the left side of the TCP would be great. Yes, I know I can resize things and place it there, but things inevitably get moved around a bit by accident and then everything's out of alignment.
I'm not a themer or a programmer so I'm not sure what WALTER brings to this request. But my hope is that in V4 we can at least dock things to the TCP and the MCP as we see fit.

-Rich
RBowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBowlin View Post
I don't know any other way to say it than we just need to be able to dock things in locatons other than the bottom of the TCP. FOr me, docking the track manager on the left side of the TCP would be great. Yes, I know I can resize things and place it there, but things inevitably get moved around a bit by accident and then everything's out of alignment.
I'm not a themer or a programmer so I'm not sure what WALTER brings to this request. But my hope is that in V4 we can at least dock things to the TCP and the MCP as we see fit.

-Rich
Yep. I'd love a vertical docker...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Subz

Quote:

-Rich
+1

Dock left, Dock Right & Dock Bottom all re-sizable like the current dock,

then add hide/show icons to all 3 docks,

but as there's nothing like this in the works currently this may be best as a post 4.0 FR?

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
musicbynumbers

Amen to that!

More Dockers and more locations
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
habsi

Default This would be great.

There are a few FR which could be supported: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1527 for example
habsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
RBowlin

I was aware that ED had this request floating out there. And I know that White Tie has a huge discussion on design in another couple of threads, but I would go so far as to say that this one request alone would have a huge impact on how Reaper is used. WALTER will be great in the areas that it touches, but surely there can be little argument against adding dockable functionality to Reaper.
Whether it's a huge pain to implement I do not know. What I do suspect though, is that you'd hear screams of joy from the four corners of the globe if this were implimented in Ver 4.

I know the guys at Cockos are VERY busy at the moment, but I really wish they would comment on this topic to let us know if this is probable or more of a pipe-dream for the time being.

-Rich
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
JFX

Default 1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
More Dockers and more locations
Hail satan

/JfX
JFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
Amberience

Agreed!
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
Susceptor

Besides this... splittable docks.
I'd love to have the mixer, routing & grouping in the bottom (switchable) and track manager, performance and undo history on the left, at the same time (for example...)

So more docks with splittable options.

Also, make the sequencer dockable (just a thought)...
Susceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
mabian

Docker heaven? Isn't it scheduled for R4.2?

Jokes apart, I would NOT be surprised that much to have docking galore focus sometime during R4 development cycle.

- Mario

Last edited by mabian; 12-07-2010 at 03:25 PM.
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
Modular

Would love to see more docking flexibility, left dock, right dock anyway you want dock
Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
RBowlin

The issue is whether adding this functionality is a huge chore, and/or there are unintended consequences to adding this behavior.

If there's not in either case, my hope is that this can be added in a pre-release cycle. There's not been a lot of talk around this topic lately so I'm not even sure if this is on the the radar, but again, I believe the payoff for adding additional docks would be huge.
Putting the new track manager in a dock on the left side of the TCP ala PT would be great. Another docker on the right side of the TCP for presets and such ala Studio One would be great.
Here's hoping...

-Rich
Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor View Post
Besides this... splittable docks.
I'd love to have the mixer, routing & grouping in the bottom (switchable) and track manager, performance and undo history on the left, at the same time (for example...)

So more docks with splittable options.

Also, make the sequencer dockable (just a thought)...
Like blender! Although, I'm not really a fan of Blender's interface overall. Still, splittable dockers in Reaper is an interesting idea.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
hopi

perhaps something like WALTER for Docking... call it DOCTOR
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Sambo Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
Yep. I'd love a vertical docker...
Hang around the shipyards, you might get lucky.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
bullshark

Quote:
We need more dockability.
Yes. Simple logic, got 1920 pixels to work with horizontally, but only 1200(and on 16:9 display, only 1080 ) vertically so docking things on the right side make sense.

Also, I'd love to be able to dock the big clock on top left beside the icons.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
PitchSlap

Multiple dockers (or a vertical divider) please!

I'd love to be able to see the mixer on half the screen and the Media Explorer on the other, or two Media Explorers open at once...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
RBowlin

A friendly bump in hopes one of the Devs might comment on this

-Rich
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #19
musicbynumbers

"sitting on the DOCK of the bay.." here too!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
UncleAge

I think this is a great idea. Ableton's Live and Podium have made good use of this functionality.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #21
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
+1

Dock left, Dock Right & Dock Bottom all re-sizable like the current dock,

then add hide/show icons to all 3 docks,

but as there's nothing like this in the works currently this may be best as a post 4.0 FR?

Subz
Hiding/recalling the docking window regardless of where it is positioned would be a favorite feature for me.

_
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #22
Modular

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
"sitting on the DOCK of the bay.." here too!
Good one
Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #23
airon

Yes this has universal support. It has always had that level of support in fact.

Now it's just a question of when do the devs, who may have different ideas on this matter that may be even better up their sleeves.

<broken record>Protools has done this for over ten years with its track/group and region lists</broken record>. It's rather telling that this concept has been integrated in to more and more applications of various kinds.

Word has the ribbons, which is a dock of icon/text buttons in tabs. Logic has a top/down/side panel view that's easy to switch on and off, as is its sister app Soundtrack Pro. Cubase/Nuendo has not seen the light that much yet. Protools has always used a left/top/right bunch of dockers, plus a midi editor in a bottom docker. Most gfx packages let you dock stuff on the sides, such as After Effects, Blender, Maya, Xara, Photoshop, Illustrator and so on.

Floating windows are more of a temporary thing. The window borders are usually a visual departure from the look of the application, and thus does not integrate as well as perfectly snapping, small-footprint-bordered multi-tab panels in what we Reaperites call dockers.

It also means we don't resize the entire program window to make room for a couple of small windows that may not line up perfectly because there's no snap to the screen edge or other windows. With the docker/panel/tab method nothing can move out of place. Only borders are moved.

Well, let's keep it in mind. It may be some time before Cockos can tackle that kind of thing.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
Subz

would be nice to dock the midi filter to the left of the midi editor also

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
Kundalinguist

Put another way: Dear Cockos, please let us Brice this GUI.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #26
Evan

One word: Adobe Photoshop CS5

docks, palettes, docking, floating...

an amazing UI model to follow
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Yes this has universal support. It has always had that level of support in fact.
I was very surprised it wasn't in the 4 alpha already, spent some time looking for it in fact, so sure was I it'd be in there.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #28
RBowlin

Quote:
Well, let's keep it in mind. It may be some time before Cockos can tackle that kind of thing.
My hope is just for some kind of response from Cockos on this topic. There are just SO many advantages of docking and very few, if any disadvantages. Again, I know we have WALTER, but I would argue adding increased dockability would be a VERY popular feature that would greatly please the user base. Floating windows are, IMO, a kludgy way of doing things. A well-organized UI with docs is a hands-down winner.

-Rich
Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #29
Lawrence

Quote:
<broken record>Protools has done this for over ten years with its track/group and region lists</broken record>. It's rather telling that this concept has been integrated in to more and more applications of various kinds.
I am not a big PT fan but the general UI, the way you can see sends, busses, etc, in arrange, and the info that slides in and out from both edges is actually well done.

It's the main reason why they don't really change it too much. Most everything is already there and pretty well laid out.

Having said that, I much prefer a docked audio editor over the "zoom to edit" method. Sonar X1 (imo) missed the boat on that one also, having dual views for editing audio in the same window.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #30
dub3000

i voted
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
RBowlin

Another "respectful" bump. Cockos and company, are there any plans on the drawing boards related to docks? I believe there is a very strong case to be made for enhanced user workflow and overall UI continuity by adding addtional docking functionality to Reaper.
I've been searching for a third-party program that would allow me to lock windows together to be able to show this to the Reaper community at large, but I've had no luck.
If this is not a feature that's anywhere on the horizon I'll quietly slip away from this topic. But some sort of response would be very much appreciated.

-Rich
Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #32
mr_spine

Its a bit shocking really. Example, the Media Bay. Who wants this ugly floating window being moved around the screen? All other DAWs use consolidated windows!! Ableton, logic, PT, Digital Performer....

If you want to really know how to implement the Media Bay, look to pro tools region list. CPU meters, look to ableton. This is a standard in daws these days...

Another gripe, which is standard in ALL other daws is the way you choose an audio output on a track. I want to click output and choose it from a submenu, NOT right click, NOT open another ugly window.

Another gripe, which is standard in ALL other daws is the way you choose a plugin! You click on an insert slot, and a sub menu appears with plugins divided into category or manufacturer. Reaper opens yet another ugly window in which most of the plugins are just repeats of the same plugins in a different format.

The track grouping, though powerful, is very clunky. If i have a session with 40 tracks, your grouping matrix is a scary sight!! I should be able to highlight tracks, hit group, name it and choose parameters. Simple. That group should be easy to switch on and off. Look to pro tools and digital performer.

If the simple things are not done right, it doesn't matter how many features you add. 80% of a professionals use of a daw are the simple processes.
mr_spine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #33
plamuk

stay on topic, please
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #34
fnord

Quote:
Another "respectful" bump. Cockos and company, are there any plans on the drawing boards related to docks? I believe there is a very strong case to be made for enhanced user workflow and overall UI continuity by adding addtional docking functionality to Reaper.
I've been searching for a third-party program that would allow me to lock windows together to be able to show this to the Reaper community at large, but I've had no luck.
If this is not a feature that's anywhere on the horizon I'll quietly slip away from this topic. But some sort of response would be very much appreciated.

-Rich
+1 on a response
fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_spine View Post

Another gripe, which is standard in ALL other daws is the way you choose a plugin! You click on an insert slot, and a sub menu appears with plugins divided into category or manufacturer. Reaper opens yet another ugly window in which most of the plugins are just repeats of the same plugins in a different format.

The track grouping, though powerful, is very clunky. If i have a session with 40 tracks, your grouping matrix is a scary sight!! I should be able to highlight tracks, hit group, name it and choose parameters. Simple. That group should be easy to switch on and off. Look to pro tools and digital performer.
+1 for staying on topic, +2 for knowing what you're complaining about. Rightclick the FX button or insert slot gives you nice lists without visiting the FX finder. Select tracks, context menu "Grouping parameters" lets you do quick grouping of tracks without using the grouping matrix. (En/disable grouping is in the context as well)

+3 for extended dock-ability of Reaper's windows.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #36
nicholas
Scribe

Coming a little late to this thread, but, yes, more dockers would be good.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #37
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Coming a little late to this thread, but, yes, more dockers would be good.
It's so nice to see the toolbar snap obediently in place now. So much more helpful to keep things both up front and organized.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #38
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
It's so nice to see the toolbar snap obediently in place now. So much more helpful to keep things both up front and organized.
But... it doesn't? Or does it? I have to find some free space in the floating bar and make my way through a context menu to put it in there (and lose my main toolbar in the process). Or am I missing something?

I am astonished people find it useful, actually.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #39
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
But... it doesn't? Or does it? I have to find some free space in the floating bar and make my way through a context menu to put it in there (and lose my main toolbar in the process). Or am I missing something?

I am astonished people find it useful, actually.
Well, when you toggle it (F), you now have two toolbars in one area.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #40
gofer
-blänk-

Ah, I forgot about the toggle (F is anything to do with fades here). Yep, that's much better . Though, I will most probably stay with "at mouse cursor", but it explains why people enjoy it.