Old 04-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Jackmon
Human being with feelings

Default Windows to Mac

Hi All

Just changing over from Windows to an iMac.

Discovered where to put my VSTPlugins (HD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST) on the Mac but I'm not sure what command line to type into REAPER Options/Preferences/VST plug-ins path so REAPER can find them.

Any help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Also - I have all my VST stuff on an external Hard Drive at the moment. Would it be preferable to switch it all over to the Mac VST folder?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers Guys.
Jackmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

As long your plug-ins are in the default locations for plug-ins on OSX, the VST Path line can be empty.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Jackmon

Default Windows to Mac

Hi Ollie

Thanks for that.

Well, I deleted all info from the REAPER VST plug-ins path line box - still no joy.

So I tried again with (HD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST) & several other permutations - but again still not working.

I guess I must be doing something wrong - or failing to do something, but I don't know what?

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
TimOBrien

1st, make sure they are Mac plugins not windows.

2nd, make sure they are Intel plugins not PowerPC (there are still a lot of those floating around on the web and they will not work in modern macs)

As Ollie said, they should be in your default osx directory.
If you have administrator rights, you can access it.

There is also another library folder in your user directory
(If you have more than one account on your machine make sure the plugs are in the directory for your account and not in someone elses.)
Old 04-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
BrianK

Default Moving my Windows 32 bit license to Mac OSX 10.6

Hi all. This is my first post so sorry if my questions are answered elsewhere. Been searching but can't find anything. I've been using Reaper for about 3 months on an HP DX 2400 with 4 g Ram,and an Intel 2.5 Dual core running xp pro 32 bit sp3.The death of XP, disenchantment with the new windows systems, the age of my HP and recent audio dropout issues have prompted me to go Mac. I bought a used Mac Pro MA 356 LL today so here goes! My first question is how do I use my Reaper license to download the Mac version or do I have to buy Reaper again and does anyone have thoughts on whether to go 32 or 64? The Mac has 8G ram and a dual core 3.0 Intel. OSX 10.6 Snow leopard and 400 and 800 firewire so I will be able to use an M Audio interface instead of my USB 2 Audiobox. These are some of the reasons I got the Mac. I would much appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
RSG

Hi BrianK

I also went from an ancient XP machine to a venerable Mac Pro last week. You just download Reaper from the downloads section. You just need to have kept your Reaper licence from your windows installation, put it somewhere on your Mac and then import it.
I have gone 64 bit Reaper, not because I need to address loads of ram but because the forthcoming Jamstix port to Mac will be a 64bit AUi (probably). Reaper has a 32 bit bridge within it so 32bit VSTs will run fine within the 64 bit version.
My machine had snow leopard but I took the plunge and went to Mavericks before I put anything else on the machine. My Oxygen8, Emagic AMT8 and ESU1808 soundcard are all still working so I am glad I did.
Also installed a wifi card in the Mac. Fiddly to the extreme.
The thing I do not like about the Mac 3.1 is that its pci bus does not provide power to external peripherals so a USB 3 card appears out of the question unless the external USB3 drive has its own power source.
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
BrianK

Thanks RSG! It was a no brainer. Ok...now moving on: I have allot of work in the PC on windows Reaper. I have researched getting it over to the Mac and understand how to do a save as in windows and check "move all media to project file". My questions are: Do I have to save this in "Reaper media" folder or why not make a new folder called "moving to Mac"? Seems logical to me. I then put the target project file onto a flash drive and plugged it into the Mac and dragged that file into the mac's Reaper media file thinking I could open Reaper, click "open project" and the project would load which it does but it says it's missing files. I click ignore missing files and a project loads showing all the track names but no data on the tracks. Just silence. Whaaaa? Sorry if I am an idiot technically but...well...yeah...you get it! I have read that networking the machines makes it easier but I can't explore that option due to others in the house who share the wifi and we all are more comfy not connected that way. Can I do this the way I'm doing it and if so what am I doing wrong? Really need to resolve this and get back to work so will really appreciate some help here.I'm stuck! Thanks!!!
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Fergler

Jackmon, that Library folder is the wrong one (annoying, right?). There's two. The one you want is found by opening a new finder window, and use the library folder there. My whole path looks like this:

as in not this one: (MacOSX/here-be-a-library-folder)

Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Jackmon

Hi Fergler

Thanks for that.

Actually PROBLEM SOLVED!

On my pc (WINDOWS 7) when I went to 'Options/Preferences/VST/Plugins Path' I always used the 'Rescan' or 'Clear Cache' buttons. On my new Mac these were obviously not working. I found out by chance that that the 'Auto Detect' button did the job & found my sample libraries.

So many thanks All. Really appreciate all the help & advice.

Onwards & upwards - until the next prob!