Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #241
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
For the next build, we're adding a message that lets you change the TRACK_FOLLOWS and FX_FOLLOWS behavior on the fly.
Awesome.

A suggestion: how about using multi-parameter messages for a 'relative' control mode, with step size as first argument, and direction as second argument (so we can maintain the 0.0-1.0 range), for example:
Code:
/track/1/volume + 0.1
/fxparam/2/value - 0.025
Or would it be preferable to avoid multi-parameters and simply do something like:
Code:
/track/1/volume/+ 0.1
/fxparam/2/value/- 0.025
... or

Code:
/track/1/volume+ 0.1
/fxparam/2/value- 0.025
instead?

And another suggestion: I think it would be useful for some cases to be able to send the unique identifiers for AU/VST plugins (since their names in itself aren't guaranteed to be unique).

PS: funny little video of stress test with 32 x Parameter Modulation LFO's on a BCR-2000 (hey oops, something wrong with number 24... ).
Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #242
diversgens

I have a problem with FX_PARAM_VALUE_STRING that are not transmit to Lemur, the knob is moving on device and VSTi but the value is not actualized in the device, i have to change the track or fx to see the last value send.

Last edited by diversgens; 02-26-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo correction
diversgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #243
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversgens View Post
I have a problem with FX_PARAM_VALUE_STRING that are not transmit in Lemu[...]
I assume that is a typo and you meant "to Lemur"? If so, it's the same issue that others have reported too. Schwa, can you confirm this as a bug?

[EDIT:] Even better, fixed for pre21.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
v4.16pre21 - February 26 2012
# OSC: fixed FX parameter feedback
[...]

Last edited by Banned; 02-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: fixed
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #244
Sexan

Are we going to get track receives?
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #245
diversgens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I assume that is a typo and you meant "to Lemur"? If so, it's the same issue that others have reported too. Schwa, can you confirm this as a bug?
corrected, grammatical error ....;-)
Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #246
Banned

Quote:
corrected, grammatical error ....;-)
Right. I often use 'typo' loosely to mean 'you didn't really mean to type this, did you?', at least when the intent seems clear enough.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #247
Subz

Quote:
For the next build, we're adding a message that lets you change the TRACK_FOLLOWS and FX_FOLLOWS behavior on the fly.
cool!

More OSC stuff to learn

please excuse any novice questions when i hit the studio & test tomorrow!

EDIT, Yay! got it working!

i plan to have a touchOSC preset & .ReaperOsc file to share with 4.16 & i plan to have a little video ready for it also!

Subz

Last edited by Subz; 02-27-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #248
Anton9

Schwa,

Thank you for these /midiaction and /midilistaction..., however binding using learn still not working for the MIDI editors. The message shows up as learned but executing it after binding does not work.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #249
Subz

What should "TRACK_EDIT & TRACK_EDIT_TOGGLE" do?

i'm hoping they should open the GUI of the current FX?

Subz
Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #250
Sexan

does anyone an have issue with "refresh control surface" action in pre 21?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #251
philait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
cool!

More OSC stuff to learn

please excuse any novice questions when i hit the studio & test tomorrow!

EDIT, Yay! got it working!

i plan to have a touchOSC preset & .ReaperOsc file to share with 4.16 & i plan to have a little video ready for it also!

Subz
Excellent
I've been meaning to spend some time with this myself but work just keeps getting in the way. It will be Excellent to Have a primer from someone who's had the time to play and experiment!
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #252
Sexan

edit....

Last edited by Sexan; 02-27-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #253
diversgens

bug here on Lemur, using button with action on it make crash Reaper, my ReaperOsc file has no change since pre20 that was working great. I use ACTION /action and oscout(0,'/action',40286); in Lemur. It's the same for all action i use -> crash (without quiting but i loose control and i must stop processus)

The FX_PARAM_VALUE_STRING is better but the display is flashing and much of the time it remain blank when i stop moving a knob.

Did the previous ReaperOsc file is unusable with the new pre ?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #254
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
bug here on Lemur
Oops, fixed. Thanks for the report.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #255
Anton9

Default MIDI ?

I was just wondering if support for receiving MIDI note data via OSC is coming soonish or if it's still a ways away?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #256
diversgens

I scratch my head on this:
what to use to have the list of all the insert on each track, i have try many solutions (FX_NAME, FX_EDIT, or FX_PARAM_BANK_EDIT) without satisfying result, the best i have is the first plugin in the row.
TIA

Last edited by diversgens; 02-28-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #257
Anton9

Default Request

Schwa,

Could you please add an option in "Preferences/General:Undo settings" for enable/disable of creating undo points for OSC messages? Also the Actions dialog could really use an action to completely flush undo history.

Thank You
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #258
musicbynumbers

I asked a while ago and not had a chance to find out myself yet so will ask again.

Can OSC be used to assign a few controllers to the selected track's "track controls" section (I mean the ones you assign to show up in the MCP or TCP as knobs) in such a way that when you change track, the assigned controllers now control the newly selected track's "track controls".

If not, then that would be very useful I'm seeing lot's of cool things we can do but this method has some great benefits as these track controls are also saved with fx chains
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #259
Anton9

Default Request

Schwa,

I was wondering if you could do me a huge favor and add a conditional to the FX_PARAM_VALUE /track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value ...that would work like this?

Example: /track/@,@/fx/@,@/fxparam/@,@/value 0.5 ...notice there is only one value but multiple tracks,fxs,fxparams. Well it would be nice if wherever there is multiple @ and only one value that each of them would take on that single value.

Thank you
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #260
BenK-msx

two things,

i wanted to get a 'last touched parameter' slider/dial in touchosc that also had two labels with it: the last touched param name and the last touched param value -

is this possible?

i thought i was getting there then i updated reaper and the last touched stuff was changed so am abit confused and have a modified config file that possibly has deprecated stuff in it. eek.

also - in touchosc you can make rotary 'encoders' that spit out 1's or 0's depending on direction - i thought great for jog/scrub - but i think reaper can't handle the 'relative' nature of that directly.. yet? learning it via actions to job/scrub doesn't work as you can't set osc msgs to 'relative' etc as you can with midi... yet??

all looking cool tho - i may follow with an fr..
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #261
BenK-msx

potential FR -

item/note properties/parameter information and control...

note/item start, length, volume/velocity, note(midi)

etc etc.

picture a setup eg touchosc set so that you select a note(s) in reapers midi editor and all the note properties are displayed on your device with dials buttons and sliders set to adjust them finely in nice silky smooth osc resolution.

e.g tweaking a note length by 'microns' with a drag of a finger (instead of your eyes popping out and ceasing to function trying to mouse move notes .5millimetres on screen!) , items start point etc, with visual feedback? drool.

why not dream huh. thanks again.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #262
earlabs

Guys, I'm sorry if this has been posted before (in that case, please point me to the solution). I have a pc and a laptop, both with win7/64bit and the latest pre (21).
The laptop works perfectly both send and receive of messages OSC
The computer works perfectly at receiving but it doesn't send to the iPad (obviously it is the same iPad). As far as I can see all settings of pc and laptop are the same. Firewall settings are the same. And yet I don't get any messages from Reaper (the little light in the upper right corner is not showing and the play, solo and mute and cycle lights don't light up when I click them (although the commands ARE sent))
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #263
Banned

After testing a bit more (avoiding using actions until the next pre, not seeing any more hangs/zombies), I have some more FRs/bug reports/notes:

- Since there are these confiration settings:
Code:
NUM_SENDS 4 /numsends /numsends/@
NUM_FX 8 /numfx /numfx/@
… I think I'm missing support for switching between 'banks' of sends and banks of plugins. These are only for send levels (I haven't played with those yet), respectively only for bypass status, right?

- [FR] Wet: support for wet/dry control of plugins.

- [FR] Panning: support for (2nd control of) stereo and dual pan modes (including remotely setting the pan mode, status change feedback).

- [FR] Plugin preset switching: stepping hrough presets with +/- is nice, but even better would be getting / setting preset number directly as well.

- [FR] 'Full' preset bank / name support would be *awesome* (i.e. browse lists of preset names remotely without having to select any of them (much like we can get lists of track names or parameter names currently).

- [bug] Renaming a track does not send the updated track name via OSC.

- [note] Track names: names consisting of a number only are prefixed with "Track ". I presume this is done to easier distinguish integer/float values from text strings, but then sending spaces may not be a great idea either (for the sake keeping the OSC messaging syntax tidy).

- [FR] Which leads me to automatic name reformatting (tracks, plugin names, plugin parameter names) in general: add options to remove all whitespace / change all whitespace into other character (i.e. underscore, preferably user configurable) in all such names sent as part of OSC messages. It may marginally lower bandwidth, and may prevent some message parsing problems at the receivers end. But perhaps more importantly, it also serves to more efficiently use limited display resources on the remote control surface. Plugin parameter names should be written much more consistently (in REAPER in general as well). Currently, plugin name and developer name are formatted differently for AU(i) / JS / ReWire /VST(i) plugins (I have implemented a bit of message parsing to take care of this at my end, btw, which works great for me - it also lists the plugin name first, then developer, and type last - but it would of course be preferable to handle such issues at the end of the sender, and have them generally available).

- [FR] Support for getting current values of parameters (without setting them directly, or setting anything else that causes feedback from them as well). For example, send the message "?" to an address, and get its current value as feedback.

- [note/bug] I noticed that the selected track number is not limited to the tracks in the bank - I like this, but had expected otherwise. Is this by design, so we can 'follow' all tracks without having to change banks on the remote control surface? It should probably be disabled for "DEVICE" follow mode, but I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited by Banned; 02-28-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #264
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
[...] the little light in the upper right corner is not showing and the play, solo and mute and cycle lights don't light up when I click them (although the commands ARE sent))
To me that still/again sounds completely like a non-REAPER issue best handled elsewhere. Unless you're using a theme I've never seen perhaps - REAPER has no lights in the upper right corner.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #265
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
- [FR] Wet: support for wet/dry control of plugins.
This one already exists -- wet/dry control is always listed as the last FX parameter.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #266
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
The computer works perfectly at receiving but it doesn't send to the iPad (obviously it is the same iPad).
If you're on Windows, check to make sure REAPER is listed under Control Panel/Windows Firewall as being allowed to communicate through the firewall. If you have more than one version of REAPER installed (like the latest release, plus a prerelease), make sure the one you want is enabled by double-clicking the entry to see the path to the executable.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #267
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
[bug] Renaming a track does not send the updated track name via OSC.
This seems to work here, as long as the track is in the device's active track bank.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #268
Banned

Quote:
This one already exists -- wet/dry control is always listed as the last FX parameter.
Yes, that is true, but that implies a need to know its number, or query and count the total number of parameters. What I am referring to is the ability to control it without knowing how much parameters the plugin has. Since in REAPER every plugin is guaranteed to have this exact same control, I should not be having to look for where it is every time.

I would like to use such a feature to more easily build stuff like 'smart' bypassing (etc.): first fade from wet to dry, then switch bypass on; and conversely, first set wet to 0% (dry), then switch bypass off, and wet back to 100% fade. If there would be a dedicated address for this dedicated control, that would make it a whole lot easier.

[EDIT:] Also, the same can be said of the bypass parameter: we'd have no need for a dedicated address by the same reasoning.

Perhaps an easy fix: make wet/dry always the 1st parameter instead of the last one (so the number could never change). May have some unintended consequences though...

Last edited by Banned; 02-28-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #269
Banned

Quote:
This seems to work here, as long as the track is in the device's active track bank.
Ah yes, that explains it. It also works for the selected track even though that is not inside the track bank, but not for any others. That also relates to my note about selected track not being limited to the ones in the current track bank.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #270
Anton9

Default Request

Schwa,

How about support for a few item properties such as (Playback rate, Start in source, Pitch adjust(semitones), Volume/Pan)? Maybe even these as well (Position, Length, Fade in, Fade out, and support for Take FX would be awesome).

Thank you
Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #271
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Schwa,

How about support for a few item properties such as (Playback rate, Start in source, Pitch adjust(semitones), Volume/Pan)? Maybe even these as well (Position, Length, Fade in, Fade out, and support for Take FX would be awesome).

Thank you
+1
indeed! see #261
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #272
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
The more we can control, the better. Do note though that at least some of those suggestions can already be done, via actions (although no exact values can be set, for example being able to increase/decrease an item's pitch with semitone/octave steps is good enough for many purposes). Thus, maybe some of the things we have in mind for remote control can better be phrased as requests to support those things using actions (implying we can also use them via OSC). That way they also become available outside the (limited) scope of remote control, increasing their usability in general.

On the other hand, I do like having a large set of human readable of OSC instructions, much better than learning action numbers by head.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #273
diversgens

I'm very sorry to ask again about it, but is it possible (at that time) to have a list of all insert by track, and if possible how to do this.
In the page 3 of TouchOSC LogicPad (the strip channel) there is a column with all the insert list and a toggle button in regard, on Lemur i can only display the first insert. The list is not actualized until i select next FX. It is not if i select next track.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #274
Crafter

Default Midi controlled parameter not updating via OSC

I apologize if this has been discussed already, I searched and could not find it.

I am using pre21, and I noticed the following:

I have an Akai MPKmini and have set up a number of keyboard shortcuts so that I can control certain Reaper parameters via MIDI CC messages sent by the MPKmini (e.g. control the pan position of a track with a knob on the MPKmini). I also have an iPad running TouchOSC (using the LogicPad display).
Everything works completely fine, I can control Reaper via the iPad, and the MPKmini. But I notice that when I turn the knob on the MPKmini the on-screen pan knob in Reaper moves, but the new pan position is not updated on my iPad running TouchOSC. When I move the on-screen pan knob the TouchOSC display is updated correctly.

So, it seens that somehow the change caused by the midi CC via the keyboard shortcut is not sent out via OSC.

Is this a bug, or did I forget to configure some setting somewhere?

And thanks for the great work on OSC so far, this is going to be awesome!
Crafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #275
Sexan

please add support for Track Receives
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #276
Banned

(pre22)

There seems to be a little error with the new BANK_FOLLOWS config:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Default.ReaperOSC
# BANK_FOLLOWS determines how the active track bank in the device works. It can mirror
# the mixer in the REAPER window, or can follow the TCP track order and change only
# then the device sends the TRACK_BANK_EDIT, PREV_TRACK_BANK, NEXT_TRACK BANK message.
# Allowed values: DEVICE, MIXER

[...]

BANK_FOLLOWS DEVICE /bankfollows
BANK_FOLLOWS_DEVICE /bankfollows/device
BANK_FOLLOWS_LAST_TOUCHED /bankfollows/last_touched
The last line gives an "Unknown action" error (I attempted to load a config file that was copied from Default.ReaperOSC without any changes). It should probably be replaced with:
Code:
BANK_FOLLOWS_MIXER /bankfollows/mixer
(which does not give such an error on loading)

Last edited by Banned; 02-29-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: probability overload
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #277
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I asked a while ago and not had a chance to find out myself yet so will ask again.

Can OSC be used to assign a few controllers to the selected track's "track controls" section (I mean the ones you assign to show up in the MCP or TCP as knobs) in such a way that when you change track, the assigned controllers now control the newly selected track's "track controls".

If not, then that would be very useful I'm seeing lot's of cool things we can do but this method has some great benefits as these track controls are also saved with fx chains
Anyone can answer this or did I miss the reply?
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #278
johnrule

I didn't see a response to this, so I will ask again:

Is there any way to covertly load a project (i.e. without the dialog)?

I would like to send a string (via OSC, UDP, TCP, or even HTTP) to load a new project by file path.
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #279
Subz

Quote:
Anyone can answer this or did I miss the reply?
If it can be set to a MIDI controller in the reaper actions then most likely "yes"

Subz
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #280
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I'm very sorry to ask again about it, but is it possible (at that time) to have a list of all insert by track, and if possible how to do this.
In the page 3 of TouchOSC LogicPad (the strip channel) there is a column with all the insert list and a toggle button in regard, on Lemur i can only display the first insert. The list is not actualized until i select next FX. It is not if i select next track.
Sorry, can you be more specific? Are you saying that the touchosc screen works as you expect, but you don't see how to make lemur behave the same way?