Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Ps4denny
Human being with feelings

Default Asio Direct Monitoring :)

I know this has been asked before, but other threads, never offer any solution.
The whole thing is, basically, when will Reaper support ASIO Direct Monitoring?
I have been using Reaper since the beginning and would hate to switch my Daw
over a feature that has to be a piece of cake for developers of such killer software. Or is it there more to it? I know a TON of guitars players that would be freaking out if this can be added to Reaper. Also there would be so many more products, Eleven Rack, that would be compatible too. Thanks.
Ps4denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Mink99

Are there really so much guitar players working without a mixing device ? Just wondering ....

Asio dm does not work with a fx chain, it will just mirror the incoming signal. So with an amp sim dm cannot be used ....
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Faderjockey

I play gtr what I don't even know why that would matter concerning Asio and an interface..

But I've been wanting/asking since 2006/2007 I'd like it to conrol RME totalmix like Cubase does..
Would make doing headphone mixes faster and better latency wise..
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Mink99

Rme totalmix is an application totally independent of any daw. Why should reaper prevent you from using it ?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Faderjockey

I use it no problem.. But if integrated like Steinberg does.. Then you can have totalmix being in background or on another monitr and when you use aux sends in Reaper for phones it's actually controlling totalmix.

It's sort of the same as you doing it yourself... But staying in one screen only having to touch Reaper it's faster sort of like ProTools TDM or HD. So really good latency but just gives the feel that your only using one app..
It wouldn't be that hard to do.. Just think like other things may not be a huge interest to others so it's not high on the list or on the list at all.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
Mink99

Now I got it, thank you ...

... I use auxes only for fx so I was blind ....

Btw. The new totalmix can be controlled by a midi remote controller (mcu or osc) , which can also be an iPad.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
karbomusic

Which ASIO Direct Monitoring are we discussing?

1. Directly monitoring off the SC.
2. Allowing reaper's faders to control the SC faders which is what ASIO DM actually is.

Direct monitoring the verb (#1), often gets conflated with direct monitoring the feature/controller (#2). Reaper would need to support #2 which it doesn't, #1 should be part of the SC interface. I'm assuming if the SC has not method of doing this then someone might want #2 allow #1 to happen.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
Faderjockey

Yeah I've done that for few years..for clients to have control of their phones.
Would have been awesome in my old warehouse studio which was large..but back in 2008 when I moved from there iPads and such things weren't a thought in the studio.

I just got OSC setup with it. I don't have FX on my total mix.. But for phones I use to use the free version of V Control and had it setup with midi control like MCU to totalmix. Then I could put iPad in my tracking room for clients.. But really I find most of them just like having the little Mackie 1202 in there for phones.. I guess it's something most or use to reaching to use.

I'm glad they changed the totalmix look GUI at least.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
But I've been wanting/asking since 2006/2007 I'd like it to conrol RME totalmix like Cubase does..
Ah, yes that would be #2..
Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
Faderjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Which ASIO Direct Monitoring are we discussing?

1. Directly monitoring off the SC.
2. Allowing reaper's faders to control the SC faders which is what ASIO DM actually is.

Direct monitoring the verb (#1), often gets conflated with direct monitoring the feature/controller (#2).
Well faders shouldn't be in the thought at all other then totalmix faders.
I was talking like I said how Steinberg did it..(one of the few things I like that they did)
So if you setup phones let's say with SWS cue which I use to setup multiple phone mixes when I have several different mixes needed on a session..
The thought that when using the aux sends on ch's like you would use inside of the signal passing thru Reaper.. You're moving the aux send in Reaper but it's just controlling TotalMix in background so your signal never hits Reaper just goes right back out of TotalMix for the quickest Latency. Like I said which you can do now manually.. But having Reaper control it would make session setup quick and then you have the recall of it when you reopen that session.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
ou're moving the aux send in Reaper but it's just controlling TotalMix in background so your signal never hits Reaper just goes right back out of TotalMix for the quickest Latency.
Right, that's what I meant. People often confuse the two. It's simply linking up the DAW faders to the interface controls. However...

That isn't needed to monitor directly off the interface (low latency), it's only needed to control it from the DAW so you don't have to jump between the two.

I just want to make sure no one is monitoring through Reaper, thinking they can't have DM, they can, they just need to control it at the interface instead of routing it through Reaper to hear it.

As far as the FR to allow reaper to control that, I'm all for it because it's sort of a standard thing and TotalMix is already listening for those commands.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-19-2015 at 10:43 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:47 AM   #12
Gass n Klang

Default Asio Direct Monitoring

this feature could massively improve workflows for everybody working with ADM compatible interfaces (like RME). It allows you to control your monitormixes directly from your DAW but without latency (as in case of RME totalmix does the routing under the hood).
So a big +1 for implementing this into reaper!

here's how it works in cubase:
https://steinberg.help/cubase_ai_le_...itoring_t.html

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 07-04-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Gass n Klang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 AM   #13
azslow3

ADM has some limits, as commented by RME on there forum...

So the best way to implement the feature is bind RME remote control protocol (recently added for apps, unfortunately the protocol is not published). That way it is theoretically possible to have complete TotalMIX (or required part of it) as a part of the project as an "RME" folder with corresponding (fake) tracks. With automatic recall and control. The only part which is impossible implement is showing actual signal levels, RME send it but there is no such REAPER API (to feed signal level without real signal).

RME OSC is too limited for the purpose, but Behringer (X) mixers can be integrated throw OSC.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #14
Arno Jordan

Default Asio Direct Monitoring

I support this request !

Arno Jordan
Castle Studios
Arno Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #15
Studiodawg

So, did REAPER ever achieve ASIO Direct Monitoring capabilities using RME sound cards?
Studiodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #16
hwhalen

I have a Line 6 Toneport UX8 which
provides DM when using the Pod Farm 2 plug in.

I believe it has to do with the synchronization between the interface drivers and the plugin.

If this is how DM is achieved, then how can
REAPER be expected to implement DM?

Line 6 no longer offers an interface that offers DM like this.
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:47 AM   #17
daverich

sorry to drag this old thread up again but another vote here for direct monitoring. I have an ur816c and cubase does it on a mac but it'd be fantastic to do this in reaper.
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 11:25 PM   #18
mschnell

I found that description:

"If your audio hardware is ASIO 2.0 compatible, it may support ASIO Direct Monitoring."

So this is no-latency and a feature of the attached device, while the DAW only might be able to control it (e.g. switch on/off or set level).

My (rather small) device (NI Audio 6) has a knob for direct monitoring that supposedly does the same thing. (I use this a lot for the headphones of a singer.)
Other devices might come with some Software that would be able to control that feature, if not done by a hardware knob.

Last edited by mschnell; 07-02-2023 at 04:07 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:29 AM   #19
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I found that description:

"If your audio hardware is ASIO 2.0 compatible, it may support ASIO Direct Monitoring."

So this is no-latency and a feature of the attached device, while the DAW only might be able to control it (e.g. switch on/off or set level).

My (rather small) device (NI Audio 6) has a knob for direct monitoring that supposedly does the same thing. (I use this a lot for the headphones of s singer.)
Other devices might come with some Software that would be able to control that feature, if not done by a hardware knob.
Yes, for just recording a take this works very well but I'm trying to use my interface as a digital mixer with separate mixes for mains/monitors.

It can do it but you can't rename the channels and nor can you control the faders with my control surface. Built in direct monitoring support in reaper would allow this and would be a massive boon.
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 04:09 AM   #20
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
I'm trying to use my interface as a digital mixer with separate mixes for mains/monitors.
If the interface does not provide dedicated "mixer" hardware/DSP for this, that is not "Asio Direct Monitoring" but "Using Reaper as a Mixer".
If it does and does not have it's own control elements, it supposedly comes with some software to control it that might be able to run at the same time as Reaper.

"Reaper as a Mixer" issues usually are discussed in the "Life" section of the Forum (as this might feature decent latency issues).
With ASIO this might feature the problem, that Reaper (in Windows) can attach only to a single ASIO device while you might want to use one for input and a different one for output.

Last edited by mschnell; 07-03-2023 at 07:00 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote