Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #1
averystemmler
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Editor slowdown in larger projects, v6.0 and 6.01

I've noticed that, in mid-sized projects with around 100 midi items, the MIDI Editor's graphical performance drops significantly in direct proportion to both the number of visible MIDI items (if they contain any amount of CC data), and how much screen space is being taken up by the new line-based CC lanes. Interestingly, it seems tied to how much screen space the lanes are taking up, regardless of how many lanes or how much CC data they contain. Version 5.99 does not exhibit this behavior on my systems.

This appears to occur in projects with no plugins or other items as well. To reproduce: create a blank project, create a track with a MIDI item of any length, add CC data arbitrarily in any lane, and copy/paste that track/item ~100 times. Open the MIDI editor, set all tracks/items to visible, and you should notice that the responsiveness of panning, zooming, and making changes to anything on screen is dependent on the size of the lanes (and can get unworkably slow). I've had a few crashes to desktop when interacting with dots and lines under these circumstances as well.

I've currently tested on Windows 7, and a fresh portable install on a different PC with Windows 10. I should note that I haven't noticed any playback glitches related to this, even in CPU-heavy projects, and performance otherwise seems much improved. I've only noticed this visual slowdown in the MIDI Editor as described.

Please let me know if I can provide any further info. I'm looking forward to watching 6.x evolve!
averystemmler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
mccrabney

i also experience this, in addition to accompanying buffer underruns

refer to https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210865
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
averystemmler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i also experience this, in addition to accompanying buffer underruns

refer to https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210865
I've experienced that too, but long before version 6. Opening the midi editor or toggling visibility on large numbers of populated MIDI items during playback will freeze and glitch (audibly and visually) uncontrollably for up to 45 seconds. But I've only encountered that in large projects where my CPU was already stressed, and I've noticed similar things in other DAWs.

The graphical slowdown I posted about seems to be new to v6, and happens regardless of CPU load.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
moneymichaels

Default Same here.

It happens to me when I open the midi editor after adding a lot of plugins. When I try to playback in the midi editor huge amount of framerate drops and freezing. Only workaround I've found is to disable all or most of the plugins and then go into the midi editor and it works like normal. It's a huge workflow issue though. First time I encountered this was version 6.00 and 6.01. Hoping they fix it soon as I've had to migrate to Studio One for now because it's just too restrictive to have to disable all plugins just to open the midi editor and make any changes. Also, running and i7 3.4ghz quad core with 8 threads, 16gb ram, all on an SSD. CPU usage on this project was only around 25%, yet the midi editor freaks out. Tried messing with buffer sizes, but no change.
moneymichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

The current development builds should have some improvements in this regard, if you'd care to try them out.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
Joe90

I'm getting major RT spikes and buffer underuns when opening/closing the midi editor, particularly on multiple parts in busy projects, and particularly when those parts are nested in a folder with a latent plugin on it - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228268

I wonder if these issues are related.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #7
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The current development builds should have some improvements in this regard, if you'd care to try them out.
i noticed that you fixed the lag in "sync to arrange" zoom, everything is tight now. i do still get the buffer underruns i mentioned above with all project midi being displayed - but that might be a different issue for you.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
averystemmler

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
6.01dev1210 seems to have solved it on my end! It looks like only showing fill for the active track's CC lines made the difference. It feels even snappier than 5.99 to me, and there are some small, measurable performance improvements in my current project overall.

You guys work fast!