Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 11-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Default new M1X macbook pro-Logic-reaper

I'm thinking of buying an new Macbook pro.

Now , the question is: As I can get logic bundled with it quite cheaply, would you give me some pro's and cons of using Logic over reaper on a new macbook?

Logic seems to bring a LOT to the table on paper over Reaper.

M
Old 11-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
shanabit

Logic:
1. Tons of AU instruments, loop libraries
2. Built in effects are good and dont look draconian like Reaper as well.
3. Audio editing/comping is straight forward
4. Dolby Atmos if you are in to that.
5. The layout is much like Cubase as you are used to me thinks
6. Its more simple to just Get Going with it.

Reaper:
1. It truely is a blank canvas and if you are a tweaker and want things to work a certain way it has scripts available and you can make your own.
2. If you truly hate the look you can use other themes.
3. No AU Instruments to speak of and no loop libraries.
4. Setup for most things is more complicated and you can get lost in the menus.

I use Cubase and StudioOne here for my studio stuff. I use Reaper for live recording which works great.

If buying a new Macbook pro you would be foolish not to get Logic IMO.
10.7 is loaded with stuff.

Cubase, Logic and StudioOne just work with my brain.

Shane

Last edited by shanabit; 11-02-2021 at 01:20 PM.
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
Wallaby

Default WOW

I have it and it's awesome !

Logic is a Creativity and Composition tool.
Reaper is a Recording / Mixing / Production tool.

If you have musicians to recorde, use Reaper.

If you have not enough musicians, missing drummer, use Logic.

The Logic drummer is extrem good, ready for publishing popmusic.

The other giant thing is Apple-Loops !
After downloading all free sounds it's 7,52 GB
There is 28'989 Loops now in my Apple Loop Library !
And not to forget Logic is overfilled with Plugins and instruments.

Reaper is great because it's almost for free and it's weightless and robust.
Logic is great because its heavy weight and rock solid on new Macs.
I use both.
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Now , the question is: As I can get logic bundled with it quite cheaply
If you're seeing Logic for $199, I'm pretty sure that's just the regular price. So it's not like you have to make up your mind now because it's some kind of special deal you're being offered for buying the laptop.

That's what I saw Logic being offered for when I ordered my MBP 16" with the M1 Pro chip.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:47 AM   #5
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Logic:
1. Tons of AU instruments, loop libraries
2. Built in effects are good and dont look draconian like Reaper as well.
3. Audio editing/comping is straight forward
4. Dolby Atmos if you are in to that.
5. The layout is much like Cubase as you are used to me thinks
6. Its more simple to just Get Going with it.

Reaper:
1. It truely is a blank canvas and if you are a tweaker and want things to work a certain way it has scripts available and you can make your own.
2. If you truly hate the look you can use other themes.
3. No AU Instruments to speak of and no loop libraries.
4. Setup for most things is more complicated and you can get lost in the menus.

I use Cubase and StudioOne here for my studio stuff. I use Reaper for live recording which works great.

If buying a new Macbook pro you would be foolish not to get Logic IMO.
10.7 is loaded with stuff.

Cubase, Logic and StudioOne just work with my brain.

Shane

Shane nice to see a familiar old face hope you're well .

Yes, that's more or less what I thought. I've been a reaper supporter since V1 but mainly use cubase. I just thought Logic will work 100% with a new macbook it was crazy not to get it and learn how to use it at some level, even if as a scratch pad for ideas ect.
Now BWF is the standard for audio files it takes no time really to export everything to a folder of audio files for mixing in any daw these days.

I'm still on the fence as it seems 90% of things I'd like to use are still not ported to apple silicone yet.

It would be noce to get full potential out of one of these machines if i do go back to the dark side with my laptops.

thanks everyone for your thoughts.

M
Old 11-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Logic is a Creativity and Composition tool.
Reaper is a Recording / Mixing / Production tool..
I actually switched away from Logic to Reaper because Logic was hampering my creativity in composition.

But I do agree it's faster and more streamlined for getting set up, and has greatly superior MIDI workflow.
MonkeyBars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
shanabit

1. Logic defaults to AIFF for recording file type, you have to change that in Preferences/Recording to BWF

2. Full Apple Silicone support for plugins will be a gradual rollout IMO this next year.

3. www.logicprohelp.com is a great site

4. Logic on your laptop and no DONGLE to worry about. Mix in Cubase if you want. Cubase and Logic really go well together IMO.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
CQrity

I haven't used Logic yet, so these are just some random thoughts that might or might not be important to you:

1. Subprojects: I really like them. They are a major reason for me not to use Logic
2. Audio Editing: I edit podcasts every now and then and I have set up actions that let me fly through the edits. I need to set a time selection and Reaper will with the press of a key cut the time selection, close the gap, crossfade the items, set the cursor 1sec to the left and play. It's the fastest way of editing podcasts that I know of. Not possible in Logic as far as I know. Also trimming start/end of items, fade them... Reaper is hard to beat on audio editing BESIDES comping.
3. Routing, Region/Stem rendering: Reaper can render lots of different settings and configurations. If you depend on rendering stems on a regular basis then Reaper is a good bet.
4. Regular updates and bug fixes: this doesn't need any explanation. Reaper is rock solid and brings useful improvements on a regular basis. The recently added export features (LUFS target + limiting) are great for me personally and I am happy to not wait for the next big release number until I get it.

The single biggest draw to Logic for me would be esthetics. It's a lot nicer to look at. Scrolling on Windows is chucky, on MacOS it feels spongy. Waveforms jump over the screen. It's just not nice to look at. Also if you use different scripts there might be insconsistent UI.

Unfortunately it has so much funcionality that I am happy to ruin my eyes :P
CQrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:57 AM   #9
airon

Fun fact, Reapers new beta v6.40dev1105 introduced CAF support. AAC encoded CAF files will likely be supported in the next dev release, so you can use your Apple loop library in Reaper as well now .

Head over to the pre-release forum section and give it a spin.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:14 AM   #10
jamesattfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
I actually switched away from Logic to Reaper because Logic was hampering my creativity in composition.

But I do agree it's faster and more streamlined for getting set up, and has greatly superior MIDI workflow.
I would be very interested in your thoughts on the MIDI workflow if you care to expand as I have just tested Logic Pro trial against Reaper and decided for Reaper as I can't get the level of instrument patch control I used to enjoy with Sonar before I went fully iMac. I agree about the lovely design and UI of Logic.
jamesattfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
shanabit

Get one of the Logic themes here and you are good to go
Old 12-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #12
nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I'm thinking of buying an new Macbook pro.

Now , the question is: As I can get logic bundled with it quite cheaply, would you give me some pro's and cons of using Logic over reaper on a new macbook?

Logic seems to bring a LOT to the table on paper over Reaper.

M
I use both. They’re very different DAWs and both have unique features which let you do awesome work.

Logic has a great set of built in instruments, effects, and loops which is unlike anything Reaper has. Reaper, on the other hand, is far more flexible and powerful for editing and complex engineering tasks. Generally I use Logic and Cubase for creative stuff and music production while Reaper is my professional workstation that I use for my freelance editing and mixing work.

However, if you freelance you’ll run in to a lot of clients who will want to send you Logic projects for fine tuning. So its very good to have solid fundamentals with Logic if you want to freelance or collaborate with producers. It is also really handy if you work with people who use GarageBand as you can open up GB projects in Logic.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:45 AM   #13
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
I use both. They’re very different DAWs and both have unique features which let you do awesome work.

Logic has a great set of built in instruments, effects, and loops which is unlike anything Reaper has. Reaper, on the other hand, is far more flexible and powerful for editing and complex engineering tasks. Generally I use Logic and Cubase for creative stuff and music production while Reaper is my professional workstation that I use for my freelance editing and mixing work.

However, if you freelance you’ll run in to a lot of clients who will want to send you Logic projects for fine tuning. So its very good to have solid fundamentals with Logic if you want to freelance or collaborate with producers. It is also really handy if you work with people who use GarageBand as you can open up GB projects in Logic.
I am freelance and get a lot of projects that have been recorded in Logic but if I'm mixing I ONLY want consolidated audio files from whatever DAW it was made in. Even though I've had them all at one time in the past I never used them for the reason I mentioned.

If I get the M1 then I may as well get logic as it makes sense, I'm still seeing lots of issues though with Monterey and Apple silicone so I'm holding back at the moment as it's early days.

M
Old 12-15-2021, 05:49 AM   #14
Goofball Jones

I've had Ableton 11, BitWig 4.0, Studio One, Logic, and REAPER.

I currently ONLY have REAPER. All the others I sold the license to. REAPER works better for me, and I create my own music, so any libraries doesn't do anything for me. All my VSTs work with it (mostly Arturia instruments). The stock plug-ins are fantastic as far as I'm concerned, but I already have favorite plug-ins that work great with REAPER. So a DAW that brings a lot of "instruments" and "sound libraries" doesn't really matter to me. BUT, this is just for me. If starting out from scratch, I could see the other DAWs getting people up and running quicker.
Goofball Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #15
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
I've had Ableton 11, BitWig 4.0, Studio One, Logic, and REAPER.

I currently ONLY have REAPER. All the others I sold the license to. REAPER works better for me, and I create my own music, so any libraries doesn't do anything for me. All my VSTs work with it (mostly Arturia instruments). The stock plug-ins are fantastic as far as I'm concerned, but I already have favorite plug-ins that work great with REAPER. So a DAW that brings a lot of "instruments" and "sound libraries" doesn't really matter to me. BUT, this is just for me. If starting out from scratch, I could see the other DAWs getting people up and running quicker.
yes, I'm in a similar position after 20 years of computer work. I have built up a huge array of sounds/plugins etc so reaper is fine by me from that pointy of view in that it doesn't come with stuff.

I'm still working out a good workflow at the moment and comparing with Cubase , the DAW I'm most familiar with , which is always difficult at first.

I've a feeling Cubase holds together perfectly up to 99% performance meter, whereas Reaper seems to fall apart at a lower CPU when I engage record arm on tracks etc

I miss the integration with my hardware AXR4 as well but that's a small thing I suppose having all controls of my audio device inside the DAW

M