Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
vStyler
Human being with feelings

Cmon.. I'm pretty sure with most posts in this forum, especially new themes.

regardless, I am of the mind that people should ask before they use, no matter if graphics are widely accepted as 'free domain' on this board.

So I agree, however, I feel teksonic has a bad, re-occurring habit of enforcing what he deems necessary, made a mess of my thread already with it.

If everyone else feels that they 'should keep their all graphics as so called shared community property" as I felt, as I was making my mod... then why is Imperial somehow.. exempt?

Lastly, He already said this was a first initial sketch out, and that the elements would be replaced in time, it had't been made public, and certainly wasn't doing it for monetary gain....

..Yet.. again.. Teksonic felt the need to come and persecute him.

(a quick PM to WT would have sufficed)

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884
vStyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #42
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vStyler View Post
So I agree, however, I feel teksonic has a bad, re-occurring habit of enforcing what he deems necessary, made a mess of my thread already with it.
You guys can work that out, I'd just make it worse.

Quote:
If everyone else feels that they 'should keep their all graphics as so called shared community property" as I felt, as I was making my mod... then why is Imperial somehow.. exempt?
If I remember and I could be wrong, he asked that it not be shared/derived until he finished IE: It hasn't been released to the community yet. It's not exempt, he just asked when he decided to show it early.

Quote:
Lastly, He already said this was a first initial sketch out, and that the elements would be replaced in time, it had't been made public, and certainly wasn't doing it for monetary gain....
I'm sure the mentioning of Imperial here could have went better than it did.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #43
-R-

Your TCP looks so fun to use! Keep up the good work!
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #44
space_echo201

I honestly never thought this would be taken very seriously or even seen as a contender or a blip on the Imperial radar. With that said, i have no problem with pulling up stakes and shutting this thread down.

I will say... at this point, it's screenshots. Nothing released, nothing being tested by other people, nothing at all. I am in the process of replacing ALL the elements I borrowed from the Imperial layout as was always the intention but I understand where people are coming from here.

But also, no one is profitting in any way other than bolstering the community here. White Tie isnt selling Imperial and I'm certainly not going to make a dime off of this. The only people profitting are the people who like good looking themes and love Reaper. I dont see how anyone can frown on that. I was completely under the impression that Reaper was based on a community mindset and that sharing ideas to make it the best DAW was not only permitted but encouraged.

But to reiterate, it's not going to make me mad or ruin my week if this gets shut down.
space_echo201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #45
Teksonik

Quote:
1. Other people's business. 2 Up other people's *****'*
1. It's my business if this causes Imperial not to be released.....
2. You resorting to insults is predictable.

and
Quote:
I take zero credit for any coding, all I did code-wise was change some font colors and moved a couple of knobs around.
The coding of a theme is no trivial matter. I guess that's why you left the "Rado" in the name.

Anyway I hate to break your bubble but this isn't about you. It's about respect for White Tie's requests and Artwork.

Like I said in my first post just take down the images of WT's work until (if) you get permission to use them. Pretty simple no?
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #46
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_echo201 View Post
I dont see how anyone can frown on that.
Then you're just not paying attention.....like I said just ask WT for permission to use his Artwork even in a concept screenshot. He may give his consent.....until then show some respect for his wishes. I don't see how anyone could frown on that......
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #47
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm sure the mentioning of Imperial here could have went better than it did.
I made it abundantly clear from the very beginning Imperial was a huge inspiration for this and how much respect I have for that theme and it's designer. The dude LITERALLY wrote the book on WALTER!

I wanted to combine that analog workflow function and feel of Imperial with the look of Tonelux outboard gear which I own and love. I get it, I understand where you're coming from and I agree for the most part. But nothings been released outside of 3 screenshots.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #48
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksonik View Post
Again.........

Now do you get it?
actually, that seems to be in the context of using his original images from an imperial build. does the OP have an early build of imperial? Or is it just "traced" ?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
I made it abundantly clear from the very beginning Imperial was a huge inspiration for this and how much respect I have for that theme and it's designer. The dude LITERALLY wrote the book on WALTER!

I wanted to combine that analog workflow function and feel of Imperial with the look of Tonelux outboard gear which I own and love. I get it, I understand where you're coming from and I agree for the most part. But nothings been released outside of 3 screenshots.
I was talking about how well it went (or didn't) between vStyler and Teksonik.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #50
Teksonik

Quote:
I made it abundantly clear from the very beginning Imperial was a huge inspiration for this and how much respect I have for that theme and it's designer.

No you don't get it....take down the screenshots until and only if you receive permission from White Tie to use the elements. It really couldn't be any simpler.....

You say you respect WT yet you don't respect his wishes...
Old 06-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #51
timlloyd

Quote:
I was completely under the impression that Reaper was based on a community mindset and that sharing ideas to make it the best DAW was not only permitted but encouraged.
It is encouraged In parallel to this though, is the Imperial situation, which is quite unusual - some people have become borderline rabid about it at times, which has been weird for everyone :-/ In light of that, I think the request from WT that derivations be kept personal until the original is out there, is genuinely rational.

Hopefully you don't feel accused of anything. And it's not really you stirring things up either - welcome to the forum btw I like your tcp - what do you have in mind for smaller vertical heights?
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #52
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
actually, that seems to be in the context of using his original images from an imperial build. does the OP have an early build of imperial? Or is it just "traced" ?
Does it matter?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #53
space_echo201

Quote:
Transport is just screenshots of Imperials buttons and status background. Nothing was taken from any kind of Imperial pre release build or anything. All just screen caps of buttons that were the look and size i wanted and knew I'd go back and change.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #54
vStyler

I'm sure you want Imperial to be released so you can do a little Mod and then take credit for it....like Rado Vox.

^^ your comment teksonic.

An insult.... certainly not respectful.. is it?

You aren't as clever, or appreciated as you think mate.

You talk a big game about respect for themers, yet... you give none.

I think WT should settle this.. not some wannabe forum policeman... Seems to me that until there is some forum rule saying all themes, or none are to be shared, it's really none of your business what any themer does or not do. Yet here you go again, trashing someones thread and rep.

Respect eh? Like when you came into my theme thread, accusing me, and other members of not behaving correctly?

Get a life dude.

Last edited by vStyler; 06-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #55
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Hopefully you don't feel accused of anything. And it's not really you stirring things up either - welcome to the forum btw I like your tcp - what do you have in mind for smaller vertical heights?
Thanks!

Man, the resize stuff is KILLING ME. Basically, right now, it looks good and "right" at that height. When it's resized, the wheels come off!!!! I'm about 3-4 days into WALTERing so I'm trying to wrap my head around it still.

BTW, the default color strips you did are genius. So sexy.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #56
timlloyd

Quote:
Man, the resize stuff is KILLING ME. Basically, right now, it looks good and "right" at that height. When it's resized, the wheels come off!!!! I'm about 3-4 days into WALTERing so I'm trying to wrap my head around it still.
Are the knob label bits part of the knob images or the tcp_bg images? If you want to keep them there in some form at all heights, you might have to do some hack-y stuff like drawing the knob labelling on a non-resizable button (or the idx_bg) (with the yellow line trick) and then in walter, offsetting the button position depending on tcp height ... hard to tell without seeing a layout (have a look at that v4 default mod narrow colour strips layout and mcp_idx images for an example of what I mean - also the recmon buttons in the actual v4 default)

Also, for your mute/solo/etc buttons, are the text elements part of the actual button, or are you using overlays? You should be able to be a bit more flexible if you use overlays.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #57
Teksonik

Quote:
I'm sure you want Imperial to be released so you can do a little Mod and then take credit for it....like Rado Vox.

^^ your comment teksonic.

An insult.
No a fact..there's a difference.

Quote:
You aren't as clever, or appreciated as you think mate.
I'm not here to be "appreciated". Despite my opinion of you I would defend your work just as fiercely...until you were able to see this thread and post yourself. Maybe WT will say party on go for it.......what do you think?

Quote:
I think WT should settle this..
He may well settle it in a manner where everyone loses just because of the actions of one well meaning but misguided member......
Old 06-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #58
space_echo201

Screenshots edited...
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #59
Teksonik

I was under the impression that this forum was populated by honorable members who respect the intellectual property rights of others...Perhaps I was wrong......
Old 06-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #60
Teksonik

Quote:
Screenshots edited...

Well done.....now PM WT and ask for his blessing. He may well give consent and all will be right in Reaper land.....

Good night all and especially to my dear friend VStyler.......
Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #61
space_echo201

Quote:
Are the knob label bits part of the knob images or the tcp_bg images? If you want to keep them there in some form at all heights, you might have to do some hack-y stuff like drawing the knob labelling on a non-resizable button (or the idx_bg) (with the yellow line trick) and then in walter, offsetting the button position depending on tcp height ... hard to tell without seeing a layout (have a look at that v4 default mod narrow colour strips layout and mcp_idx images for an example of what I mean - also the recmon buttons in the actual v4 default)

Also, for your mute/solo/etc buttons, are the text elements part of the actual button, or are you using overlays? You should be able to be a bit more flexible if you use overlays.
Im using overlays for the buttons but for the pan and volume knobs i cant get an overlay or bg to show up so it's part of the background... which is obviously killing the resizing. I can hold it all in place with the pink bounding lines but i kind of painted myself in a corner with the gradient and it looks funky when stretched out.

I never thought of hacking other elements to use for other functions... thats pretty smart!! I'll give it a go.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #62
space_echo201

Quote:
Well done.....now PM WT and ask for his blessing. He may well give consent and all will be right in Reaper land.....

Good night all and especially to my dear friend VStyler.......
So anyone who decides to spend days coding a theme based on an analog console needs to get permission now? All the "borrowed" images have been removed. That should be the end of the drama.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #63
timlloyd

Quote:
I never thought of hacking other elements to use for other functions... thats pretty smart!! I'll give it a go.
An idea - you could draw the knob backgrounds on the tcp_idxbg, stop it from resizing horizintally, and since it wouldn't be resizing in two axes, you would be able to shift it left/right depending on tcp height, "reloading" the background image to better fit in vertically (if that makes sense?). Then you could have, to the right/left of the static section, the meter and label that would resize horizontally. But there might be a lot of issues with that - speculating is harder than trying it out ... edit - actually now, thinking that wouldn't work after all
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #64
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Does it matter?
according to the quote you quoted, yes. If you have any other quotes from WT that pertains to what the OP did, ok
Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
according to the quote you quoted, yes. If you have any other quotes from WT that pertains to what the OP did, ok
I suppose it becomes a semantics or interpretation argument. A screen shot for all intensive purposes is identical (as far as what matters here) to the original image being used in the theme. I'm assuming he used a screen shot, if not then...
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #66
space_echo201

Quote:
An idea - you could draw the knob backgrounds on the tcp_idxbg, stop it from resizing horizintally, and since it wouldn't be resizing in two axes, you would be able to shift it left/right depending on tcp height, "reloading" the background image to better fit in vertically (if that makes sense?). Then you could have, to the right/left of the static section, the meter and label that would resize horizontally. But there might be a lot of issues with that - speculating is harder than trying it out.

So many ways of ending up with so many different results
You're awesome... thanks so much for the help! I'll mess with this tonight. Seriously thanks so much... i've been pulling my hair out over the volume knob overlay.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #67
timlloyd

^ Don't get your hopes up too much - it might not work. Feel free to drop me a PM about it if you want though - I would be more help by actually trying stuff rather than imagining Making themes is a tricky business.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #68
space_echo201

I'm using the layout of an SSL console (which I am very familiar) mixed with the look of Tonelux gear. At this point, it is similar to Imperial in that it uses an SLL console layout (Fader with Envelope to the right, Scribble strip, Solo and Cut side by side, Pan, excluded channel strip, Meter bridge) . None of the graphics are shared.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #69
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I suppose it becomes a semantics or interpretation argument. A screen shot for all intensive purposes is identical (as far as what matters here) to the original image being used in the theme. I'm assuming he used a screen shot, if not then...
its not semantics. The quote says "build" ... or does it not?

I think there's a bit more to making these themes than the single image you see there on the screen, no?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #70
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
I'm using the layout of an SSL console (which I am very familiar) mixed with the look of Tonelux gear. At this point, it is similar to Imperial in that it uses an SLL console layout. None of the graphics are shared.
well that's certainly a safer way to go about this, in terms of intellectual property and respect
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #71
timlloyd

Quote:
I think there's a bit more to making these themes than the single image you see there on the screen, no?
Waay more - but it doesn't really matter anymore - it would be a shame for the debate to go on further in this thread, as it's trying to move on
Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #72
karbomusic

Quote:

OK, then lets swap it out for "picky". If it were me, what White Tie posted would have been all the clue I needed without asking him directly for clarification and/or permission. I think the fact that we are dissecting such a simple request is the problem. Err on the side of respect IMHO.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #73
space_echo201

Quote:

Exactly... i think people assume that the graphics are the thing that takes the bulk of the time but that is just not the case. If it was just about putting together graphics this thing would be done a day ago working perfectly! Unfortunately, you have to code it to work. And there's more than a couple functions you have to make work properly all the while keeping in mind that it needs to resize and maintain its integrity. With that said , there isn't a single line of Imperial's code in this. I didn't even know it existed until today. I thought it was just heart-stoppingly beautiful screenshots I've drooled over for 18 months!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #74
shodan5000

Just wanted to stop in and say that this theme concept looks fantastic. I would definitely use this. I hope you don't get turned off of the idea of completing this because of theme Nazi's.
shodan5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #75
Solar

@space_echo201

Daaaaaaaaaaamn mate!! This is looking greaaaaaaaaaaaat!! Keep up the great work and keeping an eye on this baby for sure
Old 06-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #76
vStyler

Lol @ Theme Nazi's

Perfect.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #77
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
@space_echo201

Daaaaaaaaaaamn mate!! This is looking greaaaaaaaaaaaat!! Keep up the great work and keeping an eye on this baby for sure
Thanks for the kind words! I'm trudging away on it.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #78
martinmadero

I dont understand why people lost energy on critics to new jobs like this, in my opinion, there was irrelevant.
We need NEW THEMES! and we need NEW THEMERS!
People like spaceecho and others that work for free, this is the key! we should congratulations this users, so.. this is my opinion. The other things could be stop the inspiration of this users. So, if any critics dont wanna make a new theme, bring regards or positive vibrations to the creators of themes.
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #79
vStyler

Well said Martin.. we should be so lucky.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #80
valgaer

I agree martin, if people wanna fire at each other please take it to another post let's keep it nice for a change, back to the roots hehe
valgaer is offline   Reply With Quote