Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #81
KrisHDN
Human being with feelings

This might not be the right thread, but I'll give it a shot.
Now can that I can insert empty beats in the middle of my projects, I'd really like to be able to then insert a new tempo within that space, without messing the rest of the project.
Right now, I can create the empty space without creating a mess, but if I then insert a new tempo-change, some of the later items all get moved. I've of course made sure that that the tempo-change for the later items is still there. It seems it moves MIDI and recorded files differently, like MIDI drums and recorded electric guitar.
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
KrisHDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #82
juliansader

If MIDI and audio items are affected differently, it is probably a timebase problem -- it is important to ensure that your timebase settings are appropriate to what you are trying to do.

NB: When timebases were first introduced, the devs reasoned that for the vast majority of cases, users would prefer MIDI to follow the tempo map and remain on the grid. Therefore:

* MIDI items do not follow the project default timebase. Instead they are automatically set to Beats, unless changed at item level. (To set their timebase, you must select the items, then right-click -> Item properties -> Set timebase to time; or run the action "Item properties: Set item timebase to time".)

* Even when a MIDI item's timebase is set to Time, it only affects the item start and item length. The MIDI notes and CCs *inside* the item will still follow the tempo map. To lock the MIDI notes and CCs to their time positions, the item Properties must be set to "Ignore project tempo". The easiest way to do so is to use the SWS actions "Enable "Ignore project tempo" for selected MIDI items and preserve time position of events (use tempo at item's start)".
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #83
KrisHDN

Hmm. I see.
However, my current project is a project where I store basically all my ideas.
This means there are maybe 3-4 partly finished songs within the same project. Therefore, there are A LOT of midi items after the point where I'd like to insert a new tempo-change. Do I then have to manually select all the MIDI items to change their item properties? It seems rather tedious and with a high risk of something getting messy anyway.
KrisHDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #84
Fabian

Maybe Julian's script to insert empty beats is not being developed further, anyway here is a strangety I stumbled on.

I have a project that was not recorded to a click. Using SWS actions I have mapped the grid to the project, so I have lots of tempo markers. Now I want to insert empty space at the beginning while keeping the tempo markers. So basically I just want to copy-shift everything left. The script does exactly what I want to do... almost. There is this one MIDI item that becomes off-grid after the script is run.

In the gif above, we see that the top MIDI item is off-grid after running the action. As also seen, this is easily adjusted manually, so not really a problem in this case, but something is strange.

Reaper v6.43, W7x64, SWS 2.12.1.3 (Feb 6, 2021), script is v1.10 (2018-09-26).