Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 10-30-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
elcalen
Human being with feelings

Default My first Reaper tracks, an attempt at making melodic trance

Hiya! So I've only started using Reaper this autumn, and I'm pretty new to producing electronic music in general, but anyway, here's the first batch of tracks I've completed with Reaper: https://soundcloud.com/benenkindle/sets/daybreak !

Like I said, I'm still very much a beginner, and the point of these tracks was largely to learn Reaper and the genre; I hardly expect to make any kind of breakthrough with these. That said, though I'm very self-conscious about some of their shortcomings, I'm pretty happy with how the tracks turned out. So be gentle.

I use Reaper on Linux, and use (more or less) only native Linux plugins. For those who care about such things, the main synth used on these tracks is U-he Hive 2, with one or two instances of free synths like Surge or Helm sprinkled in, as well as some sounds from an old Korg N1R hardware module I happened to have lying around. Other plugins include, among others, a bunch of Airwindows stuff, Dragonfly Reverb, and obviously some Reaper plugins and JSFX.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
sai'ke

I really liked those subtle 303-esque slides in daybreak

Nice mixdown too.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
uksnowy

These are not half bad considering you are new the genre and Reaper. I have heard material not as good as this released. You have captured the essence of Trance very nicely. For me though, there is not enough variety between the tracks. But then again, that is a symptom of modern trance too.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
TonE

Piano sounds cheap, and very long, is it a piano concert? Apart from that nice. Still listening to the long piano part. Drum fill, kick, hmm, too little action, original transition to room talk, is this the latest trend? I liked mostly the outro, with the drive.

Nightfall, 1:28 is nice, yeah, 2:55 big mistake, not fitting, too cheap guitar like sound, you could go directly to transition 3:45.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:01 AM   #5
elcalen

Thanks folks! Yes, I agree some of the sounds (like that guitar on Nightfall) aren't perfect. Probably should have changed that one at least, in hindsight. But it was already recorded (that one was off of the old hardware Korg) and I was lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
For me though, there is not enough variety between the tracks.
Oh, I agree. But at this point it was more important for me to actually finish some tracks, than to make them more complex.