Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v6.33+dev0726 - July 26 2021

v6.33+dev0726 - July 26 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
  • * Includes feature branch: media item lanes
  • + Action list: pull list of synonyms from langpack actionlist_synonyms section
  • + Actions: add actions to freeze/unfreeze media by moving items to/from hidden child track
  • + MIDI: encode linear tempo changes on export as MIDI text messages that REAPER can interpret when reimporting (other applications will ignore these messages)
  • + Media item properties: support entering numeric values for take volume/pan
  • + Render: iterate for increased precision when normalizing to LUFS-I
  • # API: functions that return track peak levels (ReaScript, control surfaces, etc) still return peak levels even if the track is set to meter loudness
  • # API: support optionally getting track loudness values (if track VU meters are displaying loudness) via Track_GetPeakInfo and Track_GetPeakHoldDB
  • # Action list: ignore synonyms when using NOT qualifier
  • # Media item lanes: display improvements with large numbers of lanes
  • # Media item lanes: don't draw lane labels while continuous scrolling is active
  • # Media item lanes: fix interaction of media item label and lane label
  • # Media item lanes: when overlapping item offset is set higher than 100%, adjust offset for item label when displayed above items
  • # Peaks: remove actions to adjust peaks display gain per-media-item
  • # Wildcards: allow $start, $tempo, $timesignature wildcards when consolidating or gluing but not for recorded files (because files may be created before they are recorded to)
  • # vst3: retain midi mapping, note expression controller and keyswitch controllers for lifetime of plug-in
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 07-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
X-Raym

Default Media Item Lane Visibility

About Media Lane, has the possibility of displaying only one item lane being considered ?
This could make Media Lane be useful to have several editing versions of certain items on a track, or MIDI version on one lane and a rendered version and a second one etc, but this would require being able to display one lane at a time, and surely two options to cycle between visible lane. There could be an option to automatically mute hidden lane.

Also, API to set/get item lane ID would help making advanced actions.

What do you think about this ?
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

+ Actions: add actions to freeze/unfreeze media by moving items to/from hidden child track

This are useful thanks Would love to see another set of them also take into account time/razor selection if possible?

# API: functions that return track peak levels (ReaScript, control surfaces, etc) still return peak levels even if the track is set to meter loudness

Sad that my hardware meters now no longer show RMS as that was far more useful than than the peak meters. Any chance we could have that as a tickbox option in prefs? So that for compatible hardware, we can turn it on? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
About Media Lane, has the possibility of displaying only one item lane being considered ?
This could make Media Lane be useful to have several editing versions of certain items on a track, or MIDI version on one lane and a rendered version and a second one etc, but this would require being able to display one lane at a time, and surely two options to cycle between visible lane. There could be an option to automatically mute hidden lane.

Also, API to set/get item lane ID would help making advanced actions.

What do you think about this ?
Yeah.. This with an option to mute hidden lanes would be great

Still would be very useful to have mute and solo button for each lane too.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Holy shit it finally happened!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
juan_r

Quote:
Indeed, I've been wishing for this a long time. If I may shamelessly add, a uniform way of entering any numerical parameter by typing would be most welcome ;-)
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
Edgemeal

Quote:
+ Media item properties: support entering numeric values for take volume/pan
I double click on the numerical volume value but nothing happens. Whats the secret?

IGNORE! OK it works.
I use auto installer for REAPER so I don't have to click buttons, enter portable folder path, etc, etc in the installers, I just drop the exe on my app and it does the rest,... BUT I drop the old v633rc4.exe LOL! Time for bed! Good Night!

Last edited by Edgemeal; 07-26-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:34 PM   #8
cool

Quote:
+ Media item properties: support entering numeric values for take volume/pan
Looks useful!
Now I noticed that when selecting several points, the changes affect only the point under mouse cursor. I think if the gain / pan affects all the selected points, it will be even more useful.
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:17 AM   #9
bFooz

Quote:
add option to use modal window default positioning for newly created FX chain/floating FX windows
There is still a bug with this:

- set modal positioning to center of screen
- set fx plugins to follow modal positioning
- insert a new fx
- it comes up in the middle of the screen = good
- close the fx right away
- open the inserted fx

BUG - it shows up in a different place than before when we were closing it.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:53 AM   #10
Vagelis

Thanks for media lane improvements, looks much better

Quote:
v6.33+dev0726 - July 26 2021[*]+ Media item properties: support entering numeric values for take volume/pan
Thanks for this too, also it would be nice if we could enter numeric values to media vol knob with ctrl+left click or something similar.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:55 AM   #11
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I double click on the numerical volume value but nothing happens. Whats the secret?

IGNORE! OK it works.
I use auto installer for REAPER so I don't have to click buttons, enter portable folder path, etc, etc in the installers, I just drop the exe on my app and it does the rest,... BUT I drop the old v633rc4.exe LOL! Time for bed! Good Night!
Please tell me more about this auto installer

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:03 AM   #12
Vagelis

Happy that lane labels don't overlap anymore when the track is collapsed, but would it be possible to show the biggest number of lanes on top left corner when this happens?
(e.g on the gif below to show the number 10 to the place of number 1 when the rest lane labels are hidden)
It would be useful to know the number of fixed lanes, when we can't see the lane labels.

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:26 AM   #13
deeb

i have been a bit out and no computer for a few days, hopefully i will have time to try the new things soon!

from the top of my head i wonder:
- Is dragging from ME to project considers tempo markers tempo and so auto stretch according to this tempo?

- Render/glue wildcards are considering the $tempo according to the tempo markers?

- Wildcards for parent folder/ sub parent folder name exist?

Related requests:
- might be good an Option to use same file name for the freeze so that we can rely on freezing and unfreezing and not fill Hard disk with files that we don't need anymore. Maybe a per track setting! No?
- Api to rename FXInstances
Old 07-27-2021, 05:11 AM   #14
AtmanActive

Quote:
Yes!
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:47 AM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Looks useful!
Now I noticed that when selecting several points, the changes affect only the point under mouse cursor. I think if the gain / pan affects all the selected points, it will be even more useful.
Points?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:06 AM   #16
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Please tell me more about this auto installer

- Mario
Its a Windows app created in VB.Net(VS 2010), hard coded for my usage to install REAPER as portable to specific folder using installer defaults. I've posted the project (code only) if interested, tweak code for your needs., happy coding!
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/42511/Run_...re%20v1.02.zip
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #17
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Points?
Sorry, I got it wrong. Looks like I haven't woken up yet, haha. Everything works as it should.
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #18
Rodulf

Quote:

IGNORE! OK it works.
Me, too. How do I find this input?
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #19
MrTsonts

Quote:

IGNORE! OK it works.
How it works, share, please.

Sorry, I figured it out.

@Rodulf, for you:

Last edited by MrTsonts; 07-27-2021 at 10:37 AM.
MrTsonts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #20
Rodulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTsonts View Post
How it works, share, please.

Sorry, I figured it out.

@Rodulf, for you:

Thank you!
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #21
nikki5000

numeric values.. daammn

Maybe this is the start of a new take/swipe comping system 😬
nikki5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #22
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Thanks for this too, also it would be nice if we could enter numeric values to media vol knob with ctrl+left click or something similar.
Or allow us to have this kind of stuff in transport .. grid value , grid, selected item volume, selected envelope value , etc. Like this is too hidden inside properties panel with pretty much no use to me at least.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #23
J Kennedy

Default BSOD

Hi Guys,

Not the brightest bulb in this forum. Just using Reaper at a vegetable level since 0.9.

Thought my rig was going south, but the developer 0726 toasted my computer. Flying out the door for duty, so have only miserable data to submit. Focus was elsewhere. Sorry...

First BSOD called out memory management. Second I done forgot, but relating to a process that could not be closed.

Was concerned about removal of default 32 bit bridging so was trying to load 32 bit plugs into projects to see what happens. Seems to take a lot longer but haven't created benchmarks to validate. Took the house down. Windows frozen on top of windows. Ctrl/Alt/Delete could not bring up the task manager to stop the process.

Open session was corrupted beyond opening again. Fortunately a backup from several days ago brought it back.

Installed 6.33 with a bit of fear, but seems to be working.

Please let me know any data, logs that would be useful. Stay safe guys.

John
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:52 AM   #24
Phazma

Quote:
v6.33+dev0726 - July 26 2021[*]+ Media item properties: support entering numeric values for take volume/pan
Very nice! Would it be possible to allow the same on TCP? Double click volume or pan label to type a numeric value?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:02 AM   #25
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Very nice! Would it be possible to allow the same on TCP? Double click volume or pan label to type a numeric value?
It might be quite complicated with all the Walter environment (i don't know) but IMO for sure limited. I much prefer this info about last touched/selected "thing" optionally in transport - volume, pan, point , grid, time selection, etc. I guess every user has Transport visible on small or big screens and if not there is quick toggle visibility and still huge space available there. Anyway :/
Old 07-28-2021, 03:35 AM   #26
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
It might be quite complicated with all the Walter environment (i don't know) but IMO for sure limited. I much prefer this info about last touched/selected "thing" optionally in transport - volume, pan, point , grid, time selection, etc. I guess every user has Transport visible on small or big screens and if not there is quick toggle visibility and still huge space available there. Anyway :/
I think we are talking about 2 different things.. are you referring to tooltips?

What I am talking about are these labels:

Currently they offer only visual feedback (as was the case for volume and pan in item properties up to now), which IMO is a wasted opportunity. It would be nice if double clicking them opened a little box to type a value.

These have nothing to do with automation, last touched whatever.. and I don't think any changes to Walter are necessary. Walter only determines the position and size of the area which should react to double click (just as it works with the track name label).
Old 07-28-2021, 04:32 AM   #27
X-Raym

@Phazma
This look like my following recent FR:
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:39 AM   #28
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@Phazma
This look like my following recent FR:
Yes that’s what I am asking for (and I already supported your FR when you made it). I think this really is the same thing as done in the item properties window, just applied to the TCP.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:42 AM   #29
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
+ Actions: add actions to freeze/unfreeze media by moving items to/from hidden child track
Can someone please tell where you'd use this? I just used those actions and first of all I don't understand why it says "freeze". I really thought it was an action to apply FX chain plugins to media items and then move them to a new hidden (why hidden btw?) child track. Why and where you'd use them?
Old 07-28-2021, 04:46 AM   #30
schwa
Administrator

The idea is that if you have a bunch of item lanes or complex FIPM, you can tuck it all away.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:50 AM   #31
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
The idea is that if you have a bunch of item lanes or complex FIPM, you can tuck it all away.
Then in my humble opinion I think "freeze" isn't the best word to describe that. Maybe just "move items to/from new hidden tracks"?
Old 07-28-2021, 05:41 AM   #32
Triode

Quote:
So it's the same as doing "duplicate track" and then "hide track"?
Old 07-28-2021, 05:54 AM   #33
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Then in my humble opinion I think "freeze" isn't the best word to describe that. Maybe just "move items to/from new hidden tracks"?
I agree.
Freeze/unfreeze established itself as a synonym for apply-FX-and-bypass operation in DAW world. It shouldn't be used for any other purposes, in my humble opinion.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #34
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
So it's the same as doing "duplicate track" and then "hide track"?
The way I understand it (haven't tried this dev. version though) is that there is some rendering involved, too.
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #35
deeb

i am confused with the name too and function. I don't know what is a "child track".

Maybe would be nice an action to toggle between the 2 states?
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #36
deeb

Quote:
[*]# Wildcards: allow $start, $tempo, $timesignature wildcards when consolidating or gluing but not for recorded files (because files may be created before they are recorded to)
Can anyone tell me where i can use this? AFAI Remember .. there is only 2 places for wildcards: File->Render , Options->Preferences->recording.

Also what is "consolidating" in this context?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #37
akademie

Quote:
  • + Actions: add actions to freeze/unfreeze media by moving items to/from hidden child track
1st, the terminology is very confusing which was already stated many times here. Freeze/Unfreeze should have ben left for what it already is = underhood rendering to audio files. Come up with some better naming, please.

2nd, if I put some media on a track (e.g. Track 1), then perform "that new freezemedia" action, media items vanish from that track and new invisible track is created, which consist of moved items, OK. But when I place another media items on the visible track (again the Track 1) and perform "that new freezemedia" action again, then I cannot get back that second batch of items by performing reverse action, only the first batch reappears (and both invisible tracks are also removed)
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #38
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
new invisible track is created
yeah. But why call it "track"? it's a lane (or some sort of container), no?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #39
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
yeah. But why call it "track"? it's a lane (or some sort of container), no?
No, real track is created, you can see it in track manager, or you will also see inconsistency in numbering of your visible tracks (if any exists after the track in question, of course).

I think that it is not good design, because - and this part I did not test yet = if you start to manipulate those hidden tracks by scripts etc. then how the hidden by user and hidden by "this new reaper's function" are distinguished?

And by the way there is still the longstanding flaw as with proper FROZEN tracks, and that is that there is absolutely no indication that it is FROZEN (and so it can be also defrozen) and in this case that the track has active item but moved to hidden child track and that they also can be restoredback by un-moving them back to the visible one!!!

And thinking further, what about the control surfaces, when there are created more of such hidden tracks in between main tracks..? Total mess I can imagine

I think as already proposed by you, deeb, the two-state toggle for the track could be interesting (normal track state / archive or whatever tracks state).

Last edited by akademie; 07-28-2021 at 09:46 AM.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #40
deeb

^i see thanks! now i understand the term "child tracks"! So They are still designing and so many things can happen or not! anyway