Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default req: reordering sends and receives but specially sends

Otherwise it is really difficult to do example:
I have 1 controller with example 8 faders which i would like to use as controller for selected track send 1 to 8 levels. But then i am stuck, because i can't predict what i will be using everytime, and since i can't reorder the sends i am stuck. It's difficult to explain. Example: Chances are that the first send is a side chain send, which i will be never interested to change by the controller.

Anyone find this really a pain and stuck with this?
drag for reordering would be the best but if not possible or very difficult please make 2 buttons: move up and move down in the order

Other suggestions?

edit: just reminded that free slots would be also useful. So this could be possible:
#1 - send to X
#2 - empty
#3 - empty
#4 - empty
#5 - send to sidechain
#6 - send to parallel

Last edited by deeb; 07-18-2019 at 11:06 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Yea, wish we had fixed slots for fx and sends. It's a pain. But I just keep all my fx sends at the top of the track't list and make sure they're on every track. After that I don't really care if they're lined up, but it would be better in most cases.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea, wish we had fixed slots for fx and sends. It's a pain. But I just keep all my fx sends at the top of the track't list and make sure they're on every track. After that I don't really care if they're lined up, but it would be better in most cases.
for me sends is like one instrument or layer, not able to reorder them is like not being able to reorder FXchains or tracks.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Yea but the order doesn't actually change anything like in an fx chain because they are in parallel, not series.

If they are at the top of the list, it's at least easier to select them in the sends list.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Yea but the order doesn't actually change anything like in an fx chain because they are in parallel, not series.

If they are at the top of the list, it's at least easier to select them in the sends list.
yes sure. In my use case for the controller changes tho, because i would like to do something like:
every #1 send to controller knob X when track selected
every #2 send to controller knob Y when track selected
every #3 send to controller knob W when track selected
every #4 send to controller knob Z when track selected

This would be the musical sends (if this says something ...) not tool sends

i will never be able to do this.

Even without thinking this use case, just the fact i can't organize in a logical way for my brain, just gives me confusion for my sight view. Too confusing and time to know what i need to do. Maybe it's only me ..

Last edited by deeb; 07-18-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Pretty sure you can. There are actions to target specific knobs, specific plugins, and specific numbered/named tracks.

This is basically how I work and also why I keep shared fx sends at the top (so they stay in line) and I know send 1 is always the same send for every track.

For targeting send fx parameters, I find it easier to assign default control parameters only when the plugin is floating since its easy to float an fx via cycle actions.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
deeb

Thank you foxAsteria!

Quote:
Pretty sure you can. There are actions to target specific knobs, specific plugins, and specific numbered/named tracks.
can you tell me 1 or 2 of those actions for me to understand what you mean?

Quote:
This is basically how I work and also why I keep shared fx sends at the top (so they stay in line) and I know send 1 is always the same send for every track.

you mean, like:
Track Send1: Reverb
Track Send2: Delay 1
Track Send3: Delay 2
Track Send4: Balabla

Then for each track this will be the first sends in this order.
if so it is like a template, and definitely a good mind set, but very difficult to follow and tedious and won't work with the unpredictable which happen a lot.

I say difficult to follow and tedious, because i have to this for every track, unless i missing some actions or something:
- new track
- create each send
- make the controller control each of the sends volume

Then i could duplicate then for each track. But suddently i remember i want one more send Track Send5: MegaFx. What can i do then? that is why i said : "won't work with the unpredictable"

Quote:
For targeting send fx parameters, I find it easier to assign default control parameters only when the plugin is floating since its easy to float an fx via cycle actions.
Not sure what you mean here mind to explain?

Anyway maybe i should make another request which is quick controls like in cubase.

Last edited by deeb; 07-18-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Hmm...that's a lot of explaining. How about I just give you my config and you can steal the things that work for you?

For example, one click and my new track is sending to all existing sends and it's colored the way I want and is assigned to a VCA group for that color. I have dedicated MIDI knobs for the fx controls I use a lot and they only work while the plugin is floating (this is an option when you Learn parameters).

So my workflow for changing sends is like this: use encoder to scroll to selected track, use button to float, use knob or mouse to adjust. All the routing I do with fx sends happens automagically. When I add new sends, they are added to every track.

I typically only need about 3 sends, so that's all I have set up on my controller, but you can easily adapt it to fit your workflow.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 07-18-2019 at 06:12 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
deeb

yep i guess yes lot's of explanation : )

Thank you so much i would like to try and see if i can adapt to it but I am not sure i will know what to "steal" : )
Old 07-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
foxAsteria

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24j9lwewbe...ConfigZip?dl=0
I use the black button for post fader fx sends (all tracks) and the white button for pre-fader group sends (selected tracks only). The trick is the hidden "default" track in my default project template, which propagates the sends to new tracks.

Double clicking to add a track won't get the sends on it, but clicking the colored toolbar or adding them via right click will.

Just have a look at the cycle actions and see what works for you. You can export the stuff that does and import it into your setup.

The track templates can be customized and re-saved to colored templates however you like and they will continue to work the same way. Rn I have my own way of identifying the colors, so they're all loaded with fx and such. You'll have to adapt it.

Lemme know if it's just confusing and not helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24j9lwewbe...ConfigZip?dl=0
Might've saved all my keyboard shortcuts in there, so probably you don't want to import that part...stick to a portable install when you try it, JIC.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
deeb

Quote:
wow thank you so much : )
I will need some time and attention to try this! please alllow me to take some time and if i have any thing i'll ask here for some help

Once gain! thanks a lot
Old 01-19-2022, 04:08 AM   #12
ALex1973

Reordering Sends in Mixer please!
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80
ALex1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:08 AM   #13
ALex1973

Reordering of Sends in MCP is imperative in order to work with control surfaces!

The possibility for having empty Sends slots would also be very welcome.
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80
Old 01-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #14
foxAsteria

This is really needed and for fx parameters as well.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #15
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALex1973 View Post
Reordering of Sends in MCP is imperative in order to work with control surfaces!
It's not though. You can use ReaLearn to target them with your controller independently of position.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:03 PM   #16
PMan

Would it work to be able to name the sends?

Then you could select a bunch of tracks and have a script that says:
connect all sends named "Reverb" to track... whatever.

You wouldn't need empty slots. Instead of selecting by number, you select by name.

And if you need to add more sends, maybe most projects have 1 reverb buss, and now you're working on a project that has 4 reverb busses, you name the sends reverb, reverb2, reverb3, and reverb4. More complex projects, more send names. You don't have to figure out everything you need in the beginning.

Come to think of it, then if you wanted to change the send of a track, like from reverb to reverb3, you just rename that send. You still have to either make the change manually, or select the track and call the script.

OK, now I'm *really* dreaming: what if you could sort the send list in alphabetical order? Then the sends would display in a consistent way on every track. All of the "delay" sends would be together, and they would always be above the "reverb" sends. I would really like that! You could control how the sends are listed by how you name them.

Seems like it might be a good thing.

Last edited by PMan; 01-25-2022 at 01:09 PM.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
Would it work to be able to name the sends?
Not for this request, no. Does not address the issue of same sends not lining up in the mixer unless you have the exact same sends for every track.

If you want to target sends by name, check out ReaLearn.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #18
PMan

If you could sort thev send list alphbetically, it would address that, as well.
I guess you would need empty sends to make it look like a hardware mixer.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #19
foxAsteria

Quote:
If you could sort thev send list alphbetically, it would address that, as well.
I guess you would need empty sends to make it look like a hardware mixer.
No, it wouldn't. And yes, you would need empty slots for them to align, unless every track has the exact same sends. Alphabetical ordering is an entirely separate request and isn't really relevant here. Not sure why you think it is.

This is about freely ordering the slots, not a different way to forcibly order them.

Besides, the order of the slots is determined by the order of the tracks themselves, so if you want them alphabetized you can easily do that yourself. Doesn't really change anything though.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #20
PMan

OK, I get it. You're right.

So, how would that work?
1. Would the sends panel automatically expand to match the size of the track with the most sends? Then that track cannot have empty slots.

2. Would there be a project parameter that sets how many slots are available? Then it could be set large enough that all tracks can have empty slots.

3. Would it work to have a project parameter that, for example, when set to 8, means the first 8 slots are almost like containers, where you can put any send, or keep it empty?
Old 01-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #21
foxAsteria

Quote:
OK, I get it. You're right.
Well that's rare. Many folks will go to great lengths to seem right even when they're not. It's exhausting. Thanks.

I'd imagine it working like this:

If there are no sends, I can add one to any specific slot (not only the first one) and I can drag it to another slot whenever I like.

If an existing send is added to other tracks, those sends populate to the same slot.

If and existing send is dragged to a different slot, so do all the other ones.
Obviously this should be optional. Not everyone wants a bunch of blank spots perhaps.

Reaper already adds slots as needed and you can scroll through them. I suppose the scrolling function would have to be locked across tracks as well, so everything stays in line.

I don't understand the 3rd question but I guess you're looking for a hybrid solution? The user can define how many slots function like this and then the rest are normal? Not seeing the advantage here, but why not?
Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #22
PMan

Yeah, It's hard to read the forums sometimes...

But yeah, the 3rd question is basically what you said, and probably not important. As I think about it, what you just said adds *really helpful* intelligence to the sends panel.

So if you move the reverb send to the top slot, the reverb send in all of the other tracks move to the top. That is cool!

You only have to move a send in 1 track, and all of the other tracks follow.

If you move a delay send to slot 2, any send in slot 2 of all of the other tracks that is not going to delay, moves to clear that slot.

So, where does it go? do we care? Maybe it just goes to the bottom of the send list... It has to go somewhere. No need for option 3. The send list for each track automatically adjusts, it *adds* any send that was in the way to the bottom of it's list. Adding those sends to the bottom means the rest of the sends just stay where they are.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:06 PM   #23
PMan

That also save time setting up. If slots are already assigned in other tracks, just clicking on an empty slot will populate it with the destination info - did you already say that?

Yes, you did.
Quote:
If an existing send is added to other tracks, those sends populate to the same slot.
I'm just trying to wrap my head around this...

Last edited by PMan; 01-25-2022 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:54 PM   #24
ALex1973

Quote:
It's not though. You can use ReaLearn to target them with your controller independently of position.
Thank you! I use ReaLearn, so I will try to figure it out.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:48 AM   #25
PMan

I re-read the thread to get a better understanding...

Maybe it could be a *Track* option...

You put the receive tracks at the top of the TCP, and there is a track option to reserve that slot for sends.

That would be how you setup the slots.

Need more slots? Add them to the top of the TCP, wherever you want them, and set the track option. You re-order the slots from the TCP.

Adding sends to tracks? just open the routing window, and those slots are already there, reserved. You click on an empty slot, and the destination is already setup, and it becomes active. You still set the send level and pre/post switch.

This is not "instead of" what's been stated before, this is just how the slots get setup.
...OK, "instead of" setting up the slots in the routing window, or in the MCP, they get setup in the TCP.

Maybe still need a project level parameter to enable all of this... IDK

What do you think?

Last edited by PMan; 01-26-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #26
PMan

More thinking...

Setup the slots wherever - in the routing window, in the MCP, TCP, wherever.

If they are setup or adjusted anywhere else, Does it makes sense that the TCP reflect the how it is set: slot tracks at the top? The only issue there is: what if a track this is designated as a slot is in a folder? Does that happen? Slots are project wide - can they reside in a folder?

Maybe the tracks designated as slots don't move. It just seems to me that people would want them at the top of the TCP. Maybe not...

I always have the drums in a separate folder, with their own reverb. I would not want that reverb treated like a slot, even though it has many tracks routed to it.

With a track level parameter, I can have that folder specific reverb treated like a regular track. It shows up in the routing window and the MCP *below* the slots.