Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 04-16-2021, 12:46 AM   #1
JeffreyvR
Human being with feelings

Default Film composers! 1 instance of Reaper for music, 1 instance for video?

I'm flirting with the idea of having my video outside of my DAW. Why? Because we live in a digital age and directors think it's fun to recut the film while in post production. This means you have to import a new edit of the movie in every project (or cue) I've created. Now there's something called VideoSlave > https://non-lethal-applications.com/.../video-slave-4 which seems great but you need a Mac and it's pretty expensive.

So I was thinking. Why not 2 instances of Reaper? One handling video (and it's different versions) and one for the music. You have to sync up the 2 though. Has anyone tried this? How to set this up the best way?
JeffreyvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:13 AM   #2
vitalker

Did you try it already? What's the issue?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
plush2

Have you tried xjadeo? If all you want is an external video that chases to Reaper then this might be the thing. I think there are even MTC scripts to send current position while navigating in Reaper. I've tried it out a bit but I find the internal video window to be very capable for every-day audio post work. I can understand that if you are needing to sync a number of different cues/sessions to a new picture then that is a whole lot of importing.

Alternatively it might be nice if Reaper allowed subprojects to play back whatever video content was in the parent session while synced. That way you could import the new video cut once into your master layout and then adjust the subprojects to that as needed.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
JeffreyvR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Have you tried xjadeo? If all you want is an external video that chases to Reaper then this might be the thing. I think there are even MTC scripts to send current position while navigating in Reaper. I've tried it out a bit but I find the internal video window to be very capable for every-day audio post work. I can understand that if you are needing to sync a number of different cues/sessions to a new picture then that is a whole lot of importing.

Alternatively it might be nice if Reaper allowed subprojects to play back whatever video content was in the parent session while synced. That way you could import the new video cut once into your master layout and then adjust the subprojects to that as needed.
Looks interesting! But as far as I can see it only plays video. No audio. So you have to sync up the audio of the video in your daw which is a bit more hassle.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
plush2

Ah, yes, you need the audio for the rough cut.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
JeffreyvR

Yeah it's a bit of a headache. I notice I can get MIDI MTC to Cubase or Pro Tools for instance. But the response on the slave side seems really slow. With VidPlayMTC it's the same story. Also when I pause it, it doesn't pause in the exact same place. I'd love to have the video respond as it is inside my DAW. One Reaper instance as a master and 1 instance as a slave is something I haven's figured out. I have an older MacBook laying around so I might try that with Video Slave 4.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #7
plush2

I posted a feature request that might help with this problem. I've been thinking about asking for something like this for a while. Please give it a read and feel free to add to or alter the request with a further comment if you think of ways to make it better.