Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Diego
Human being with feelings

Default Touch OSC over USB connection

As stated in the TouchOSC web site, it's (should be) possible to use the wired connection over USB between iPad and PC thought the TouchOSC Bridge (to be installed on the PC). When I use the WiFI connection everything works flawlessly.
I tried over and over but with no luck to setup the app (my main pc is offline and that's the reason I would like to use a wired connection)... anyone has been more lucky than me?
Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #2
Diego

Ok, I set up a “ad hoc” Wi-Fi connection with a USB dongle and the iPad and PC talks... not the best but... sent a support mail to the TouchOSC developer but he hasn’t answere yet... (3 days now).
Maybe I would switch to Open Sound Control if only I hadn’t a first generation iPad.( with iOS 5 and it requires 9)...
Old 03-20-2019, 03:09 AM   #3
ivansc

Well there is OSC Commander as well although I bought it & couldnt get on with it. Havent tried TouchOSC on my iPad AIR 1 because the developer wants me to pay twice to use it on androind and ipad OS.

But certainly it works great via bluetooth on android. Presume it is the same with IOS
Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
Diego

For who is interested this is Hexler answer to my request about USB connection:

Hi Diego,
If on OSX, TouchOSC should automatically work with the TouchOSC Bridge when connected via USB.
If on Windows, it does require the Bonjour service, the easiest way of which to install this is to install iTunes - once you are able to sync your device in iTunes you should be able to just plug in the USB (while not running iTunes) and TouchOSC should communicate with the TouchOSC Bridge in the exact same fashion.
Please note the wired USB connection only passes MIDI through (which is the purpose of the TouchOSC Bridge), as OSC itself requires a network protocol to function and therefore does require a network connection.
More information on wired connection with TouchOSC can be found here: https://hexler.net/blog/post/uncut-the-wire
The full online documentation for TouchOSC, which includes all the necessary information for setting up and using TouchOSC, TouchOSC Editor (for creating and editing layout files), and TouchOSC Bridge (for using MIDI on a host computer), can be found here: https://hexler.net/docs/touchosc
If you continue to have connectivity errors using a wired USB connection with an iPad please let us know and we can help you further troubleshoot the issue.
Thank you for your use and support of TouchOSC!
Hexler Support
support@hexler.net
https://hexler.net