Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
nathanzm
Human being with feelings

Default Confusing Issues with Recorded MIDI Keyboard Track

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum so hopefully I put this in the right place. I've been struggling with a MIDI-related issue for quite some time now, and I've never really recorded with MIDI before so hopefully I supply enough information.

Basically, I had keyboards recorded directly as MIDI into Reaper and all keyboard sounds worked perfectly when monitoring with the plugin I used and I had no latency issues.

Then when I go to play back the MIDI, there are many notes missing and the sustain pedal isn't working during playback. The interesting thing is all the MIDI notes are present when logged with ReaControlMidi and everything appears as it should. So what was recorded is actually there, but just not coming through during playback.

The only time I can get an accurate playback of what was actually played is when I use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as a MIDI hardware output in the channel's route settings, which I really don't want to do because it sounds awful and uses some default keyboard sound.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I can do to solve this?
nathanzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello nathanzm and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
nathanzm

Thanks for the information! I made a sample test project with a MIDI track containing only Reaper plugins.

You'll notice that with Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as a MIDI hardware output and the default sound card audio hardware output selected for the track that the two play different things. I know there is latency issues with the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as output, but it's the only thing that actually plays all of the notes being played and registers with the sustain pedal during playback.

Normally I use a Tascam US-1800 for an audio interface and I've tried using that as a MIDI hardware output as well but it doesn't detect all the MIDI notes during playback either.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp keys_test.rpp (138.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
DarkStar

Seems OK here.

I recorded the MS Wavetable output back into Reaper, then rendered the MIDI track through Toontrack's EZKeys. They both sounded OK to me. And I would see the sustain pedal moving in EZKeys.

PS: For your track you do not need to Send it to your audio interface. Just make sure that the Master Send is ticked.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
nathanzm

How did you go about recording the MS Wavetable output back into Reaper?

So as far as channel routing goes, all I need is to have the default settings with Master Send ticked? I don't need to worry about sends, receives, or hardware outputs?

I don't think it's an issue with any of my plugins. I've tried putting plugins as effects on the same track as the MIDI and they all result in the same thing: missing notes. But when the keyboard was recorded as input into the plugins, everything came through during monitoring just fine.