Old 08-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
CoryT
Human being with feelings

Default Rectified wavform view?

Do we have an option to view our wavforms as rectified? I was searching but I've come up empty. Any help or alternatives would be appreciated.
CoryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
EricM

You mean one side of polarity only? No. Waveform display is as is :>

e
Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
planetnine

Rectified would be negative part-cycle of the waveform folded up onto the positive side at a guess. Saves half the space allocated to the waveform in a DAW track I suppose

>
Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
EpicSounds

anyone that does video editing expects to see this. Never used the feature in Pro Tools but now that I've used it in other software I kinda like it.
Would be cool to have it as an option.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
CoryT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
anyone that does video editing expects to see this. Never used the feature in Pro Tools but now that I've used it in other software I kinda like it.
Would be cool to have it as an option.
I've been working on my mastering chops and I have been watching several tutorials on the subject. What I found is that a rectified view of the wavform is easier to identify "energy" of the mix. I'm pretty sure that meters would be best, but one instructor was talking about using the view to determine what automation would be best for certain parts of the mix. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but I thought I would ask about the feature. Thanks for all the replies.
CoryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryT View Post
I've been working on my mastering chops and I have been watching several tutorials on the subject. What I found is that a rectified view of the wavform is easier to identify "energy" of the mix. I'm pretty sure that meters would be best, but one instructor was talking about using the view to determine what automation would be best for certain parts of the mix. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but I thought I would ask about the feature. Thanks for all the replies.
That's interesting, is there a link you can share?
Old 08-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Rectified would be negative part-cycle of the waveform folded up onto the positive side at a guess.
That's full wave rectification. Half wave rectification (just chopping off the bottom part) would generally work just as well.

I think this would be a nice feature just because the important information could be twice as big in the view. For certain "wave editor" functions, it's nice to see the full waveform so you can see polarities and DC offsets and whatnot, but most of the time we really just need to know how fat the blob is, and rectification just buys us some visual resolution. A toggle to rectify and scale up to double (and, i guess, offset so the 0 line is actually at the bottom, can't make any assumptions) would be awesome.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
That's full wave rectification. Half wave rectification (just chopping off the bottom part) would generally work just as well.

I think this would be a nice feature just because the important information could be twice as big in the view. For certain "wave editor" functions, it's nice to see the full waveform so you can see polarities and DC offsets and whatnot, but most of the time we really just need to know how fat the blob is, and rectification just buys us some visual resolution. A toggle to rectify and scale up to double (and, i guess, offset so the 0 line is actually at the bottom, can't make any assumptions) would be awesome.

Half-wave would have some use, but you might miss displaying some offset peaks. It doesn't seem any sense in not including both sides of the axis, it doesn't need any more space and it's not exactly difficult -a peak meter is essentially doing full-wave rectification/ABS/OR function.

And yes, no point in doing it if you don't put the axis at the bottom of the lane

>
Old 08-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
EpicSounds

Quote:
Rectified would be negative part-cycle of the waveform folded up onto the positive side
How does a stereo signal with channels 180* out of phase look in this case?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #10
planetnine

The negative part of channel1 is folded up onto the positive part of channel1, and channel2 similarly. The half-excuesions can't be out of phase with themselves, and there's no "cross_rectification" between the two channels, so it should cause no odd visual effects.

What would happen is there would be no way to see the polarity inversion between channels in rectified view.

>
Old 04-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
bjohn

Hey, this is an old thread but in responding to a user's question on Reddit today I discovered that in fact it is possible to display NLE-style rectified waveforms in Reaper. Probably very old news by now, but still worth adding to this thread in case anyone finds it via a Google search (which is how I found it):

Go to Options > Peaks Display Mode, and check "rectify peaks." Video editors will get an even bigger rectified waveform by also checking "scale peaks by square root."

Most NLEs (non-linear editors for video) use rectified waveforms because it helps video editors more clearly see where to cut when editing dialogue--especially useful for quiet passages that don't show up as obviously in standard waveforms. I suppose it could be useful in music editing as well, though I'm too used to looking at regular waveforms.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
JDSStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
Hey, this is an old thread but in responding to a user's question on Reddit today I discovered that in fact it is possible to display NLE-style rectified waveforms in Reaper. Probably very old news by now, but still worth adding to this thread in case anyone finds it via a Google search (which is how I found it):

Go to Options > Peaks Display Mode, and check "rectify peaks." Video editors will get an even bigger rectified waveform by also checking "scale peaks by square root."

Most NLEs (non-linear editors for video) use rectified waveforms because it helps video editors more clearly see where to cut when editing dialogue--especially useful for quiet passages that don't show up as obviously in standard waveforms. I suppose it could be useful in music editing as well, though I'm too used to looking at regular waveforms.
bJohn it’s now May 2020 and I really needed this information.
I Googled and searched the REAPER forum, and the threads I viewed Never mentioned this option.
Thank you.

Last edited by JDSStudios; 05-26-2020 at 12:31 AM.
JDSStudios is offline   Reply With Quote