COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default "Branches/forks" of iPlug on GitHub

Can someone explain to me the different branches/forks of iPlug on GitHub?

There is Oli's version (WDL-OL, now archived); there is Tale's version; there is Earlevel's version and maybe others.

All of these versions seem completely different to the extent that the files are not interchangeable. For example, I have been working with Oli's version (WDL-OL) and have it pretty well dialed in to where it compiles every time on both Mac and PC.

But if someone declares they fixed a problem in iPlug file "IPlugAAX.cpp", for example, and I copy their IPlugAAX.cpp to my iPlug folder it does not work. I get dozens of compiler errors.

Why are all of these "forks/branches" so different when they are for/from the same tool - iPlug?
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post

Why are all of these "forks/branches" so different when they are for/from the same tool - iPlug?
I suppose everyone has made them for their own purposes without regard to what is compatible with the other forks. When I started doing my own fork of IPlug some years ago, I immediately made changes that would have made it incompatible with all the other versions.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
Can someone explain to me the different branches/forks of iPlug on GitHub?

There is Oli's version (WDL-OL, now archived); there is Tale's version; there is Earlevel's version and maybe others...
You can see what a branch derives from, and you can do a compare between them. I haven't used Tale's, but I know he has done quite few changes for his own development and maybe to the point of making such a comparison less useful. In my case, the biggest hole I had to solve, initially, was that wdl-ol didn't work with AAX. For instance, automation didn't work right, but there were also AAX features that weren't implemented, such as automation highlighting. But along the way, I found other needs that weren't addressed. I was recreating an old TDM plugin of mine that used parameters that didn't have simple linear or exponential curves, so I needed so implement arbitrary shape functions. And there were bugs in VST3. And the locking for parameter changes wasn't implemented as advertised, needed to change that. And bypass wasn't suitable.

Anyway, you get the idea—if there was theme to start, it was make AAX work (I didn't know it didn't work till after I'd adopted IPlug). But there are also "I need this feature", "I need to fix this feature", and I need to expand the way this feature works" changes. I'm sure the same is true for Tale.

As far as "without regard to what is compatible with the other forks" (Xenakios), I think most or all wdl-ol IPlug projects would build under my fork. I don't recall any reason otherwise, offhand. I tried to keep it with minimal architectural changes, and produced pull requests to wdl-ol. But yes, I think many forks use idl-ol as a starting point for a customer environment.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
Nonlinear

Thnx Xenakios and Earlevel.

My conclusion is to basically pick one and stick with it and not try to "mix and match". Changes outside the fork/branch should be reviewed line-by-line and not just blindly copied in as a file.

Cool. Understood.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote