Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
callahan09
Human being with feelings

Default Why isn't my my MIDI recording? (Trying to use ReaTune to convert audio to MIDI)

I found this guide, but it's extremely outdated and ReaTune plugin doesn't even look the same anymore, but it seems close enough...

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p..._audio_to_midi

The problem is, I have my audio track set up with ReaTune, routing MIDI only (Audio: None) to my MIDI track with a virtual instrument plug-in on it. That track does have routing for a Receive from the audio track. I have that track armed for record, and record mode is set to Record: Output (MIDI) just like the guide says to do.

I hit record, and I can clearly hear that it's sending MIDI to my virtual instrument, I can hear the music playing through it, but none of the MIDI events are being recorded, I just get a completely empty MIDI block?

I've used google and tried 100 different things, so many things I can't even remember what all I've tried, and nothing has worked. If I hit the keys on my keyboard, it records the events. But it's not recording the output from the audio track's ReaTune?

I'm thinking it could be the track's Input setting is wrong, and it somehow only listens for input from the physical MIDI keyboard? But I don't know... I have Input set to "All MIDI Inputs > All Channels".

Why can't I get this to work, and what can I do?
callahan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
I hit record, and I can clearly hear that it's sending MIDI to my virtual instrument, I can hear the music playing through it, but none of the MIDI events are being recorded, I just get a completely empty MIDI block?
Sounds like the virtual instrument is not letting the MIDI through.

So either check if the virtual instrument itself has an option for sending MIDI output or letting MIDI through.
Or try to use the Merges with MIDI bus option for the virtual instrument (via right-click on the [in/out] button in the plugin window):

If this doesn't solve the problem, try to change your Track Routing, so you have the MIDI Track and the virtual instrument on separate tracks. Just as example:

Track 1: Audio + Reatune
Track 2: Record Output: MIDI (Receive from Track 1)
Track 3: Virtual Instrument (Receive from Track 2)
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
DarkStar

Also: which VSTi? (and any other FX?)