Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Michael AD
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne advice

Would love to hear some feedback about Melodyne - some general advice, and also particular advice regarding Reaper.

I have the Essentials version and there is a big sale until the end of the month - for $149 I can upgrade to Editor or for $299 I can upgrade to the top-of-the-line Studio version.

I guess my biggest question-mark concerns changing the timbre by adjusting the balance between partials, a feature that is only found in the Studio version. That feature, along with multi-track note editing seem to be the only differences between the Editor and the Studio versions.

Does anyone have experience with changing the timbre of vocals (or instruments)?

And I know that Reaper and Melodyne will eventually have ARA2, but right now are there any impediments to using the Studio version with the current Reaper 5.91?

thanks!
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
bigearz

You will probably use the polyphonic editing a lot more than the harmonic adjustment feature. Out of tune guitars are always gonna be a problem.

I've experimented with the harmonics with some forensic audio that was muddy sounding. It worked, but I have other tools that are quicker. It may be just the thing you need for that "problem" vocalist who was recorded with the "problem" mic that seems to boost the 4th partial.
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
camerondye

I like the Studio version because it's easier for me to work on multiple vocals at once and get everything lined up better and make better choices for the music. I don't use the timbre change honestly but use the multi-track editing every time. Plus you save the whole project together and making changes isn't that bad and then just re-rendering the new track with the new changes.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post

I have the Essentials version and there is a big sale until the end of the month - for $149 I can upgrade to Editor or for $299 I can upgrade to the top-of-the-line Studio version.
Note that ARA2 will be Melodyne 5,
not sure if you'll get a free upgrade buying now.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
brynolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Note that ARA2 will be Melodyne 5,
not sure if you'll get a free upgrade buying now.
I specifically asked Celemony about this, and they said "probably". Not quite as reassuring as you'd like eh...
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #6
brynolf

For what it's worth, I bought some light version of Melodyne many years ago, and I got to update to Essentials 4 without any extra cost. So... maybe Celemony's policy is like "updates are free, upgrades cost"?
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
Michael AD

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've decided that the Editor will suit me at this time for $149.

I am concerned that there will be a fee to upgrade to their new ARA2 version so I'd rather save my funds for that version as I presume Reaper will then release their ARA2 version.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote