Old 10-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
davetbass
Human being with feelings

Default First try at hard rock

I've normally used Reaper for Electronic music, but here's my first try at hard rock,

Just curious about what people think of the overall volume and balance compared to stuff like AC/Dc for example?

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/davetbass/tile
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
msundh

I'm not a hard rocker,but I think the overal balance is good with the exception of the bass. I only notice it during the solo.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
davetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I'm not a hard rocker,but I think the overal balance is good with the exception of the bass. I only notice it during the solo.
Thanks!
Old 10-25-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
DrGed

Good stuff, Dave!

Also, it's good to know that someone else out there likes both electronic music and rock.
DrGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Glennbo

Instrument balance sounds pretty even to me, and it sounds like legit hard rock. Cool Jackson bass you have in your pic. Although drums is my main axe, bass (among other instruments) is my second favorite to play.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Dimaension X

I really like the song itself and your playing is spot-on. Here's my critiques (hopefully helpful) ...

It's very "mono" ? It sounds like everything is in the center of the stereo image. I'd space it out a bit. Drum VSTs are usually in stereo, and I'd pan the bass a bit left and the guitar a bit right (or the other way around) just to separate them slightly. Or keep the bass in the middle and double-track the rhythm guitars.

It's very dry. A little reverb or some delay on the instruments might help liven it up. The guitar solo could use some delay/echo (maybe even a slight "ping-pong" delay?). Maybe set up a track with a reverb of some type and feed/send the tracks into it, just to make it seem like the instruments are in the same room/space.

But, yeah, I like it. It's right up my alley. Oh, and yes, I'm also a big fan of both electronic and rock music (which I try to combine in my Dimaension X projects).
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
enroe

Yes, nice!

It's a little mono yet, but that's ok.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
davetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Instrument balance sounds pretty even to me, and it sounds like legit hard rock. Cool Jackson bass you have in your pic. Although drums is my main axe, bass (among other instruments) is my second favorite to play.
Thanks!, I wish that was me, it's 80's handsome hair metal guy Kip Winger, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlN3oEjMpUQ

I picked that as a picture because I play jacksons
Old 10-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
davetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
I really like the song itself and your playing is spot-on. Here's my critiques (hopefully helpful) ...

It's very "mono" ? It sounds like everything is in the center of the stereo image. I'd space it out a bit. Drum VSTs are usually in stereo, and I'd pan the bass a bit left and the guitar a bit right (or the other way around) just to separate them slightly. Or keep the bass in the middle and double-track the rhythm guitars.

It's very dry. A little reverb or some delay on the instruments might help liven it up. The guitar solo could use some delay/echo (maybe even a slight "ping-pong" delay?). Maybe set up a track with a reverb of some type and feed/send the tracks into it, just to make it seem like the instruments are in the same room/space.

But, yeah, I like it. It's right up my alley. Oh, and yes, I'm also a big fan of both electronic and rock music (which I try to combine in my Dimaension X projects).
Thanks! great feedback. I am keeping it to 1 guitar in case I play the songs live, but I will explore the width and effects things you mention.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
davetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Yes, nice!

It's a little mono yet, but that's ok.
Thanks!