Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
DANIELE
Human being with feelings

Default 15 mins to load a project, is it normal?

Hi, here another thread maby related, maybe not, to the one I've just opened about kontakt.

Since lastly I have almost no time to make music I stay even for a week or two (maybe more) without working on a project so I don't remember how it went when I worked on it last time.

Maybe because I installed VEP7 and it loads faster than Reaper, maybe some other thing I don't understand but it seems to me that my last projects take too much to load.

It is a big orchestral project with lot of tracks and automations but for your experience is it normal to take 15 mins to load the entire project or something changed since the last time I worked on it? I'm talking about Reaper updates or similar.

Maybe it is related to kontakt issues I'm experiencing...I don't know.

I'm sorry I can't be more precise but my primary work is very time demanding and I can't remember everything.
Your experience could be a good starting point to understand if there is something wrong with my DAW/Plugins/other things....

Thank you.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Mordi

I use a lot of Kontakt instruments - sometimes even getting close to my maximum of 32 GB RAM. Even so, the most it takes to load a project is around 30 seconds.

Have you tried the usual batch resave technique?
Have you added all your libraries to your antivirus exceptions list?
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
I use a lot of Kontakt instruments - sometimes even getting close to my maximum of 32 GB RAM. Even so, the most it takes to load a project is around 30 seconds.

Have you tried the usual batch resave technique?
Have you added all your libraries to your antivirus exceptions list?
I did batch/resave many times and my AV is completely turned off. It takes forever to load pretty much everything, even SWAM instruments, eqs and mastering plugins.

So my intuition is correct, there's something wrong...but what? I don't understand...
Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
hopi

it 'could' take a long time for a big project with many large kontakt lib's in it to load... but 15 min's does seem kind of long
The question to ask is what is taking that time?
IF it is in fact Kontakt loading it's lib's ...maybe from a slow HD then a simple test would help:

create a new project with maybe three tracks that have kontakt on them but don't load anything into kontakt

Save that and reload that and see what you get.

Also... are you using Save as to first save the project with the two lower left check boxes checked? So it gets saved to it's own folder with everything inside that folder? IF not, do that
Old 05-26-2019, 11:57 PM   #5
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
it 'could' take a long time for a big project with many large kontakt lib's in it to load... but 15 min's does seem kind of long
The question to ask is what is taking that time?
IF it is in fact Kontakt loading it's lib's ...maybe from a slow HD then a simple test would help:

create a new project with maybe three tracks that have kontakt on them but don't load anything into kontakt

Save that and reload that and see what you get.

Also... are you using Save as to first save the project with the two lower left check boxes checked? So it gets saved to it's own folder with everything inside that folder? IF not, do that

I'll try it but see my other post here, I'm also having problems loading libraries inside Kontakt (inside Reaper) while in standalone it works smoothly.

I noticed that it is very very slow with every plugin inside the project, it takes long to load Ozone plugins, Reverbs, SWAM instruments, Kontakt instruments etc...and I remember it wasn't so slow but I'm not able to catch what's changed that could cause this issues...

I don't understand what it is, Windows update? A Reaper update? Some curse from some ancient dead pirate?

In the last period I'm having issues with pretty much everything.

The only thing I remember is I installed VEP7 but I don't think how it could be its fault.

What the...

EDIT

Oh I forgot to mention that I already check the boxes you talk about.

Last edited by DANIELE; 05-27-2019 at 12:02 AM.
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
DANIELE

Maybe it could be something in the .ini file or in the REAPER directory.

Something that cause this massive slow down...it is very strange...

EDIT

I forgot to mention that once the project is loaded it randomly hangs an freezes. For example if I load the project, in the mean time or after the load is complete, I stay on Firefox surfing the web when I came back to Reaper and hit play it hangs for some seconds.

Well...I really don't understand what's happening, I can't work with VEP7, I can't directly in Reaper...in cocnlusion I can't do anything.

Last edited by DANIELE; 05-27-2019 at 12:40 AM.
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 AM   #7
Coachz

I freeze my tracks with vstis and fx and projects load in about 10 seconds
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:14 AM   #8
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I freeze my tracks with vstis and fx and projects load in about 10 seconds

Well ok but the problem here is that I remember it won't take so longer to load, it is not an hardware problem but something wrong with Reaper in some way.

I have to understand what it is.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:28 AM   #9
dug dog

Have you tried to do a portable install of Reaper? It's the same process as a regular install but, on the "Choose Install Location" screen there's a check box for "portable install".

You can, then, try to open the project in question. If it opens properly, then you know that there's something messed up in your Reaper settings somewhere and a full, clean install would solve your problem.

You would need to back up your existing Reaper resources folder first as it contains track templates and layouts, etc.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
ChristopherT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
Well ok but the problem here is that I remember it won't take so longer to load, it is not an hardware problem but something wrong with Reaper in some way.

I have to understand what it is.
Well it seems a few people are having problems with VEP7 - outside of Reaper, so maybe best not to point the blame at Reaper.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Have you tried to do a portable install of Reaper? It's the same process as a regular install but, on the "Choose Install Location" screen there's a check box for "portable install".

You can, then, try to open the project in question. If it opens properly, then you know that there's something messed up in your Reaper settings somewhere and a full, clean install would solve your problem.

You would need to back up your existing Reaper resources folder first as it contains track templates and layouts, etc.

I tried with the "Libraries loading problem" on the other thread, with portable install I've the same behavior of the installed one. I'll try to load the project in portable but there's something darker I think.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherT View Post
Well it seems a few people are having problems with VEP7 - outside of Reaper, so maybe best not to point the blame at Reaper.

I'm having many problems between Reaper and VEP7, I already contacted the VSL developers for this.

I don't want to blame Reaper, I love Reaper, I'm only trying to understand where the problem is. Maybe its a matter of Windows or maybe some driver, or maybe is the universe that hates me, if I understand what the problem is I could solve it, this is why I'm asking here to help me to do some brainstorming to go straight to the point.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
Tod

Quote:
I tried with the "Libraries loading problem" on the other thread, with portable install I've the same behavior of the installed one. I'll try to load the project in portable but there's something darker I think.
Hi Daniele, when you tried the portable install did you import a configuration file first?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #14
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Daniele, when you tried the portable install did you import a configuration file first?

No it was pure and clean but wait a minute...

I did another test right now, I deleted REAPER folder (after a backup) and leave the main installation recreate it, then, from the backup, I copied REAPER.ini and reaper-vstplugins64.ini and reaper-vstshells64.ini to not have to scan my plugins again.

I did some tests and IT WORKED!!

Now Kontakt loads smoothly, the project loads in less than 6 minutes and even the VST3 version of VEP7 main plugin loads instantly.

There is something in my REAPER folder that is causing this massive slow down but I don't know what it is.

Now I could try to import one file at a time to understand what is causing the issue.

Some time ago after a Windows Update my Reaper stop playing correctly and I discovered that by deleting and recreating the reaper-midihw.ini the problem was solved, maybe I could try with this at first.

Something went broken at some point in my PC history, I have to find out what's happened, any ideas?
Old 05-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
Coachz

That's great that you are back up. If you have tracks that are pretty much done, I like to freeze them and then I can always unfreeze them if needed. I hate waiting for loading and with most of my project frozen it loads in a few seconds. I know everyone has different workflows but maybe it can help. I even made some scripts to help frozen tracks be obvious. Best of luck.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221192
Old 05-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #16
DANIELE

Quote:
That's great that you are back up. If you have tracks that are pretty much done, I like to freeze them and then I can always unfreeze them if needed. I hate waiting for loading and with most of my project frozen it loads in a few seconds. I know everyone has different workflows but maybe it can help. I even made some scripts to help frozen tracks be obvious. Best of luck.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221192

Thank you, I'll look at them for sure.

I've to revert a statement, VST3 version of main VEP7 plugin it loads slow as before, this should be a VEP bug, they should solve it as soon as possible.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
DANIELE

Ok, I don't know what the hell is happened!

I copied all the files from the backup Reaper folder to the new one and now everything seems to work fine.

The project loaded in 4-5 minutes and Kontakt works fine.

I don't know what is the cause of this behavior because I didn't find it.

Very very strange...
Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
Coachz

Great time to make an Acronis True Image and backup data :-)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #19
Dex

Do you have any fx on your monitor fx bus? I remember I had one that kept saving its history (seemingly without limit) and eventually caused slowdowns and crashes.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #20
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Do you have any fx on your monitor fx bus? I remember I had one that kept saving its history (seemingly without limit) and eventually caused slowdowns and crashes.
It happened to me too in the past but I checked and there was nothing there.

After every big Windows update something happens to the audio world on my pc and it takes a lot of time to recover. It's frustrating...
Old 05-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #21
hopi

are you on windows 10?

I know everyone else likes 10 but I don't... exactly because it did updates that screwed me twice. It lost me 2 months of work each time so I said later to 10 on two machines and have been happy again with 7 pro ever since.

I don't know what is causing your problems.... sorry for them and I do hope fine out what they are.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:21 AM   #22
DANIELE

Quote:
Great time to make an Acronis True Image and backup data :-)

Yeah indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
are you on windows 10?

I know everyone else likes 10 but I don't... exactly because it did updates that screwed me twice. It lost me 2 months of work each time so I said later to 10 on two machines and have been happy again with 7 pro ever since.

I don't know what is causing your problems.... sorry for them and I do hope fine out what they are.

Yes, I'm on Windows 10 and everytime, EVERYTIME, I get a big update it screws up my audio setup that it is quite complex.

Everytime I have to loose days or weeks to restore everything to normal and sometimes it requires reinstalling things and so on, a huge mess!!

I still don't understand why the hell these updates screw up audio drivers or configuration everytime, I'm very tempted to say not so sweet things to Microsoft.

Last time all my MIDI setup has been broken, the time before this my audio cards configuration has been broken as my mixer (I'm using VoiceMeter Potato because I've 3 audio cards) and so on...

Well, I've no more words...

I've only fear about the incoming may update.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:00 AM   #23
Coachz

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10
Old 05-28-2019, 04:14 AM   #24
DANIELE

Quote:

Ah, great idea!

I did this for Windows Defender but I didn't think about doing this with WU.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
Tod

I think what we really need is a positive way to fix a corrupted Reaper, complete with the steps to do that.

2 Days ago, Reaper did a "Not responding" thing on my 4 times in 3 hours, 2 of those times Kontakt was not showing.

Today after I opened the first project of the day, I played it 3 times without doing anything else and on the 3rd play, it did the "Not responding" thing, this time Kontakt was open but I hadn't touched it yet.

I don't know what this could be except for a corrupted Reaper ini file or exe file?

Could it be in my configuration file? I've got several portable installs, but I only 2 of which are my main ones that I use all the time. They both have the same configuration, could that be it? I have tried exporting the configuration in pieces and then importing them into a clean portable install a piece at a time, but I didn't get anywhere with that either.

Ha ha, please forgive me, I'm having one of those "errrraagh" moments.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:

Everytime I have to loose days or weeks to restore everything to normal and sometimes it requires reinstalling things and so on, a huge mess!!
It is true the some authorizations will get reset (usually takes a re-registration etc. which is ideally the fault of the plugin maker) but something else is going on if a major update causes all ^that.

You could always download and run procmon.exe, save the log as .pml, zip it up and put somewhere I can access, PM me with the link and I'll take a look. I can either tell you exactly why it takes so long or at least rule out whether it is waiting on disk or something else.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:10 AM   #27
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It is true the some authorizations will get reset (usually takes a re-registration etc. which is ideally the fault of the plugin maker) but something else is going on if a major update causes all ^that.

You could always download and run procmon.exe, save the log as .pml, zip it up and put somewhere I can access, PM me with the link and I'll take a look. I can either tell you exactly why it takes so long or at least rule out whether it is waiting on disk or something else.

Thank you, actually I solved this problem. I didn't found the cause but apparently I solved it. Now I have to hope that it doesn't came back.

I'll download procmon anyway, it could be useful for the next issue.