Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
rapscallione
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper causing clicks and pops with samplers

Here's something weird I'm struggling with-

Using Garritan CFX in Aria Player. When loaded as a plugin with Reaper (VST2), I'm getting intermittent clicks and pops that sound like buffer rate issues. When using the standalone Aria Player, with all settings exactly the same, no issues. I've tried messing with the RAM allocation and Pre-caching in Reaper, as well as changing the buffer/sample rate. Anything within usable latency is giving the issues when using as VST, but the default settings on Aria (512 allocated, 32 precached) work perfectly.

Going to try testing some things with Kontakt as well.

Are there some under the hood settings in Reaper that might help with this?

PC Specs:
i7-8700k
16 GB RAM
Samples loaded on M.2 SSD
RME Babyface Pro
Kawai ES110 (MIDI out into Babyface)
rapscallione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
ivansc

Have you run resplendence.com`s latency checker to see if it highlights any issues with your computer?

Could be something really simple.

One thing: Does the standalone player come as a 32bit version as opposed to the 64bit VSTi version?
On occasion I have seen what appeared to be the same difference between VST and standalone caused by this.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
rapscallione

LatencyMon is giving me all green. This also seems to be happening with Kontakt as well. Everything is 64-bit.

Getting these clicks when CPU/RAM/Disk are at low usage, but the standalones don't have the same issues. I went through all the Reaper audio settings but came up empty. If anybody has had similar issues or any guesses would be much appreciated, very frustrating trying to play things inside of Reaper.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
rapscallione

Coming back to this, did some more digging.

Found this link from a little while back that was describing similar issues- https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184840

I wasn't sure if it was Reaper or the Aria VST plugin causing this, so I loaded up FL Studio to check. The 64-bit VST plugin works perfectly in FL Studio, played for half an hour on the default settings with absolutely no issues. With the exact same settings and interface and controller and everything in Reaper, clicks abound.

I think there's something going on here that causes Reaper to not play nicely with Aria. Is there some setting I'm missing or could try toggling? If anybody had any clue at all it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
bobobo

Try to avoid samplerateconversions.
Set the audio-samplerate to the samplerate of the used samples.
f.i. with your audio at 96000 and the used samples at 44100 the cpu has more work than with your audio at 44100
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
rapscallione

Okay, did another test with Aria, this time in Ableton. Worked perfectly. That brings the total to:

Standalone: Works perfectly
FL Studio: Works perfectly
Ableton: Works perfectly
Reaper: Does not work properly

Then had the idea to try loading Aria through BlueCat's Patchwork, a VST patchbay. So far, absolutely no issues.

So since everything works except Reaper's native VST handling (even loading it through another VST host plugin inside of Reaper), looks like this is a bug that should be looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
Try to avoid samplerateconversions.
Set the audio-samplerate to the samplerate of the used samples.
f.i. with your audio at 96000 and the used samples at 44100 the cpu has more work than with your audio at 44100
Garritan hasn't officially released the sample rate, but users at Piano World have gleaned that it's 44100. Either way in Reaper the sample rate hasn't changed anything about this issue.