Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 05-24-2023, 06:21 AM   #1
User41
Human being with feelings

Default Themes with clear item separation (like in Logic Pro)

Wondering if anyone has recommendations on themes where you can more easily see splits in items and separate items, even when they are the same color.

Logic does this masterfully. I am aware of the Logic themes but prefer themes more similar to the Reaper default themes.

I just have a hard time being able to easily see whether I'm looking at one item or several when several items are next to each other (or "back to back").

Thank you in advance.
User41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:46 AM   #2
Rednroll

Not part of the theme. It's built into Reaper. If you right click on an item, there is a context menu selection of "item and take color" where you can change the color of items and takes and since most everything is an action in Reaper, actions can be set to a quick access toolbar buttons and assigned a keyboard shortcut.

Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:47 AM   #3
User41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Not part of the theme. It's built into Reaper. If you right click on an item, there is a context menu selection of "item and take color" where you can change the color of items and takes and since most everything is an action in Reaper, actions can be set to a quick access toolbar buttons and assigned a keyboard shortcut.

yes, I use Rodilab's color palette and also some SWS scripts for autocoloring things, including items.

I'm specifically looking for a theme where there is natural separation between adjacent items. Check out a screenshot of logic or garageband, and you can see what I mean.

I believe there is a PNG file that can be edited, so I might just give that a go myself. I've never done that so will have to learn something new, if so!
Old 05-25-2023, 07:56 AM   #4
norbury brook

there's a preference where the item info is shown above rather than part of the item, this will then separate adjacent items/tracks.

M
Old 05-25-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png. Curved corners can help with showing where the join is, try these from the Default 4 theme...
Attached Images
File Type: png item_bg.png (13.0 KB, 267 views)
File Type: png item_bg_sel.png (13.0 KB, 209 views)
Old 05-25-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
User41

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
there's a preference where the item info is shown above rather than part of the item, this will then separate adjacent items/tracks.

M
That is a great suggestion. I actually previously used that preference, and I guess when I stopped using it, I didn’t realize it was making it harder for me to delineate between side-by-side items. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2023, 08:29 AM   #7
User41

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png. Curved corners can help with showing where the join is, try these from the Default 4 theme...
Thank you, White Tie.

Is editing these as simple as finding the PNG file, opening it in paint, and editing it?

Or in the case I want to use the ones you posted from Default 4, just replace the files with the ones you posted?
Old 05-26-2023, 02:14 PM   #8
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by User41 View Post
Thank you, White Tie.
Is editing these as simple as finding the PNG file, opening it in paint, and editing it?
Yes, it is. But if you have not dealt with them before, be careful with the pink and yellow lines at the corners of images. Unintentional edits to those can cause unexpected results.

And you can replace the images with the similar ones from other themes, like the ones White Tie posted above.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:40 PM   #9
User41

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I was able to use your Theme Assembler, and then replace the item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png files with the ones you attached (from Default 4).

It looks awesome... except I can no longer color the items (using SWS or Rodilab Color Palette).

Is this a limitation of those particular PNG files or is there something else that I should adjust?
Old 06-10-2023, 03:55 PM   #10
User41

Quote:
I was able to use your Theme Assembler, and then replace the item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png files with the ones you attached (from Default 4).

It looks awesome... except I can no longer color the items (using SWS or Rodilab Color Palette).

Is this a limitation of those particular PNG files or is there something else that I should adjust?
Does anyone know if this is a limitation to just replacing the PNG files?

Those Default 4 item styles look great. I just don't know how to use them in any theme besides White Tie Theme Assembler and, if I use Theme Assembler, I seem to lose the ability to color the items with SWS or Rodilab's script.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:35 AM   #11
JonLinnarson

Maybe this one? Peace Theme by Ice Cold Milk: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=265339
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:56 PM   #12
Rednroll

Quote:

The differences are between the Default 4 and Default 6 item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png images. The Default 6 images have a transparent background area and is the reason you are able to use the custom coloring of the items where the Default 4 images have a solid coloring background.

I modified the default 4 images for you so it includes the rounded corners like you want and made the background transparent like the Default 6 images. Try these and see if it provides you what you are after.
Attached Images
File Type: png item_bg.png (1.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: png item_bg_sel.png (1.6 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-13-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #13
User41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
Maybe this one? Peace Theme by Ice Cold Milk: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=265339
Thank you. I’ve seen that theme before but never tried it. I will check it out.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #14
User41

Quote:
The differences are between the Default 4 and Default 6 item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png images. The Default 6 images have a transparent background area and is the reason you are able to use the custom coloring of the items where the Default 4 images have a solid coloring background.

I modified the default 4 images for you so it includes the rounded corners like you want and made the background transparent like the Default 6 images. Try these and see if it provides you what you are after.
Wow. Thank you for this. Very kind of you.

I will try these modified PNG files and report back.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #15
User41

Quote:

Thank you again. This works great. I've now substituted your PNG files into all of the themes I use!
Old 09-30-2023, 07:10 AM   #16
Rednroll

Quote:
Thank you again. This works great. I've now substituted your PNG files into all of the themes I use!
Glad they worked out!