Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-08-2023, 08:01 AM   #2641
Alsion
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
If you are talking about Mixer, then I'm afraid it's not possible to change folder state using scripting or any other possibilities except mouse cursor.

EDIT: I was wrong. There is an action:
Mixer: Show/hide children of selected tracks

There are many actions for mixer actually:
Track: Toggle tracks visible (hide) in mixer - for selected tracks
Track: Toggle show/hide in mixer - same
Track: Make all tracks visible in TCP and mixer

Anyway I suggest anyone to type in "mixer" into Actions window and check all the actions. There are many useful.
For scrolling via actions you can use any of my scripts here (remember about dependencies): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=273526
I know. I'm actually using those actions through keyboard shortcuts and custom toolbars. I'd just love to see open/close a MCP folder automatically when I open/close a folder on the controller.
Alsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:27 AM   #2642
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsion View Post
I know. I'm actually using those actions through keyboard shortcuts and custom toolbars. I'd just love to see open/close a MCP folder automatically when I open/close a folder on the controller.
You mean change folder compact state? Even if it's possible, it's not native and difficult to implement.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:53 AM   #2643
thespiderhill

Hi Moss - first of all thanks so much for all the hard work on this!

I have an issue - everything was working like a dream before Christmas, but the last few times I've loaded up Reaper, it hangs on the "Initializing main window" screen, then crashes after a while. The only thing that fixes it is removing the DrivenByMoss folders from the User Plugins folder for Reaper. I'm using Reaper 6.7.3 with DrivenByMoss 19, on a Macbook. Do you have any idea what the problem might be or how I might fix it? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DrivenbyMoss stuff a few times and I just get the same error.

Thanks!
thespiderhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:53 AM   #2644
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiderhill View Post
Hi Moss - first of all thanks so much for all the hard work on this!

I have an issue - everything was working like a dream before Christmas, but the last few times I've loaded up Reaper, it hangs on the "Initializing main window" screen, then crashes after a while. The only thing that fixes it is removing the DrivenByMoss folders from the User Plugins folder for Reaper. I'm using Reaper 6.7.3 with DrivenByMoss 19, on a Macbook. Do you have any idea what the problem might be or how I might fix it? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DrivenbyMoss stuff a few times and I just get the same error.

Thanks!
I got this error report from some people now but I cannot replicate it on my Mac.
If you have a bit of time to invest into testing please PM me.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:02 AM   #2645
Alsion

Quote:
You mean change folder compact state? Even if it's possible, it's not native and difficult to implement.
Ehhhmmmm. I don't know :-) Isn't "compact state" the height of tracks in the TCP? I guess I'm mixing things up...

Whatever, I just had a look at the actions again. What I mean is simply(?) the action "Mixer: Show/hide children of selected tracks" being called *automatically* when I press "Select" on the surface the second time to enter Hierarchical mode.
And called again, when I long-press the button to leave Hierarchical view again.

Maybe that explanation helps better understand what my thought is.

P.S.: Of course, the following actions need be "on" as a prerequisite:
- "Mixer: Toggle show folder tracks in Mixer"
- "Mixer: Toggle show tracks in folders in Mixer"

Last edited by Alsion; 01-10-2023 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:15 PM   #2646
lalvarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Yes, than you can use the different fader modes (see the DrivenByMoss manual).
Hi Moss, thanks for your response. I read the manual again, but I couldn't figure out how to use the extra 4 custom modes for the faders in the Launchkey mk3 (49 in my case). I'm able to select each of the four custom modes, but after then I couldn't figure out how to assign to an action, volume, pan or sends (or maybe a device like Reeq?)
lalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #2647
vitalker

Quote:
Ehhhmmmm. I don't know :-) Isn't "compact state" the height of tracks in the TCP? I guess I'm mixing things up...

Whatever, I just had a look at the actions again. What I mean is simply(?) the action "Mixer: Show/hide children of selected tracks" being called *automatically* when I press "Select" on the surface the second time to enter Hierarchical mode.
And called again, when I long-press the button to leave Hierarchical view again.

Maybe that explanation helps better understand what my thought is.

P.S.: Of course, the following actions need be "on" as a prerequisite:
- "Mixer: Toggle show folder tracks in Mixer"
- "Mixer: Toggle show tracks in folders in Mixer"
Well I was talking about the state where children tracks are not visible in mixer.

I don't know what is Hierarchical mode, but if it's possible to assign actions to your surface, then it may be doable via script. So a script can be made, but I don't know how to include it into this tool.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:47 AM   #2648
Ostent

Default Mapping Possibilities with Arturia Beatstep

Hi Moss,

Firstly, thank you for the utility. I've been using it since the earliest days on my Push. I've just picked up a Beatstep and have been digging into the software mapping on it - and it's stellar! The scale mode alone increases the utility of this device immensely.

One question though, I would absolutely love to tweak saved parameters while playing on the pads to audition my sound / record. Is it possible (even if it requires some work on my end) to swap the function of knobs 9-16 when in play mode to control the last selected bank of parameters rather than sends 1-6? If so, it would make this device a formidable travel unit.

Thank you!
Ostent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:20 AM   #2649
Alsion

Quote:
Well I was talking about the state where children tracks are not visible in mixer.
"Technically" they are visible, meaning they are NOT set to be hidden in the Track Manager. They are only collapsed in a folder, so you can not visually "see" them. But yes, technically speaking, their state is still "visible".

Quote:
I don't know what is Hierarchical mode, but if it's possible to assign actions to your surface, then it may be doable via script. So a script can be made, but I don't know how to include it into this tool.
With "Hierarchical Mode" you can enter Mixer folders on your controller device. That means your controller is initially not showing tracks inside of a folder, but if you select that folder track [on your controller] and press Select a second time, the controller will go "down" one level to only show you the tracks inside that folder.

That's all working fine. It is just not reflected on the [computer] screen. And that's what would make things more consistent. If a folder is entered on the controller, the folder track should simply open on the screen as well. E.g. by automatically calling the action I mentioned above.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:26 AM   #2650
vitalker

Quote:
That's all working fine. It is just not reflected on the [computer] screen. And that's what would make things more consistent. If a folder is entered on the controller, the folder track should simply open on the screen as well. E.g. by automatically calling the action I mentioned above.
Even if it is possible and I could make a script, I couldn't test it, because I don't have a controller. So if someone with controller can make such a script (if it's possible), then you'll be able to do that.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:12 AM   #2651
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostent View Post
Hi Moss,

Firstly, thank you for the utility. I've been using it since the earliest days on my Push. I've just picked up a Beatstep and have been digging into the software mapping on it - and it's stellar! The scale mode alone increases the utility of this device immensely.

One question though, I would absolutely love to tweak saved parameters while playing on the pads to audition my sound / record. Is it possible (even if it requires some work on my end) to swap the function of knobs 9-16 when in play mode to control the last selected bank of parameters rather than sends 1-6? If so, it would make this device a formidable travel unit.

Thank you!
No, sorry, that's not possible.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:58 AM   #2652
Smarty

Default Controlling the size of Jog Wheel Steps

Hi, my setup is:
Hardware: X Touch
Machine: Window 10
Software: Reaper V6.71/win64

The Jog Wheel moves the play cursor by two or sometimes three beats.

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to set the size of the Jog Wheel steps to exactly one beat?

Last edited by Smarty; 01-15-2023 at 03:16 AM.
Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:11 PM   #2653
nepenthe

A couple questions:

1) If I use this program will it break Komplete Kontrol on my S88 MKII? The manual mentions that Komplete Kontrol will break for the MK1 devices, but does not confirm if this is also the case for the MK2 devices.

2) On page 79 of the manual in the S88 MK2 section, what does "Select the MIDI input and output without an ending as the second." mean? Does this mean select an unused MIDI port or is it referring to one of the two MIDI ports on the S88? If so, which one? My options are "Port 1" and "Port 2".

Thanks for all your hard work on this!
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:56 AM   #2654
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Hi, my setup is:
Hardware: X Touch
Machine: Window 10
Software: Reaper V6.71/win64

The Jog Wheel moves the play cursor by two or sometimes three beats.

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to set the size of the Jog Wheel steps to exactly one beat?
You can combine it with SHIFT.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:04 AM   #2655
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
1) If I use this program will it break Komplete Kontrol on my S88 MKII? The manual mentions that Komplete Kontrol will break for the MK1 devices, but does not confirm if this is also the case for the MK2 devices.
Mk2 uses the 'normal' NI framework. So, no need to change anything. But the NI infrastructure sometimes breaks itself ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
2) On page 79 of the manual in the S88 MK2 section, what does "Select the MIDI input and output without an ending as the second." mean? Does this mean select an unused MIDI port or is it referring to one of the two MIDI ports on the S88? If so, which one? My options are "Port 1" and "Port 2".
There should also be a port ending with "DAW". Did you install Komplete with all the drivers? The DAW port should be the first and Port 1 the second.
But could be that NI changed something again, in that case simply try the different combinations until it works.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:53 AM   #2656
thespiderhill

Quote:
I got this error report from some people now but I cannot replicate it on my Mac.
If you have a bit of time to invest into testing please PM me.
Happy to help if you let me know how - Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem? It's really frustrating as it was all working perfectly, and now it's sadly unusable... :/
thespiderhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:13 AM   #2657
gba

Hello, there is some way to map FX parameter to specific knob for each track?
Here an example for what I need: https://ibb.co/9rhRFKf
Gian
gba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:26 AM   #2658
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiderhill View Post
Happy to help if you let me know how - Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem? It's really frustrating as it was all working perfectly, and now it's sadly unusable... :/
PM me (here on the forum) if you have a bit of time for testing.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:31 AM   #2659
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba View Post
Hello, there is some way to map FX parameter to specific knob for each track?
Here an example for what I need: https://ibb.co/9rhRFKf
Gian
Yes, the track FX parameters are mapped to the user mode. See the Known Issues section in the manual for Bitwig <-> Reaper differences.
Press DEVICE button twice to select the User mode on MCU.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:15 AM   #2660
gba

Quote:
Yes, the track FX parameters are mapped to the user mode. See the Known Issues section in the manual for Bitwig <-> Reaper differences.
Press DEVICE button twice to select the User mode on MCU.
Thanks. Yes it work but I need to select the channel each one, there is a way to custom the user mode?
gba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:55 AM   #2661
algx

Default MPC One not connecting

Hi
Ive installed the files from the ZIP into the correct folder but get the following report in the configuration window in Reaper.

Loading device INI files from C:\Users\alexg\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ...
reaper-clap-win64.ini not present, skipped loading.
reaper-fxfolders.ini not present, skipped loading.
DrivenByMoss4Reaper-ParameterMaps.ini not present, skipped loading.
Akai MPC Live I/II, One, Force: Starting...
Akai MPC Live I/II, One, Force: Running.
Disconnected.

It seems to be reporting missing files but the ZIP unpacked ok.
The MPC just sits 'waiting for computer', it connects to the network ok and is visible to the MPC app in windows.

Hope you can help, thanks.

The MPC One is running V 2.11.4
WIN 11 PC
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
16Gb RAM
algx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:19 PM   #2662
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba View Post
Thanks. Yes it work but I need to select the channel each one, there is a way to custom the user mode?
Sorry, no.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:22 PM   #2663
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by algx View Post
Hi
Ive installed the files from the ZIP into the correct folder but get the following report in the configuration window in Reaper.

Loading device INI files from C:\Users\alexg\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ...
reaper-clap-win64.ini not present, skipped loading.
reaper-fxfolders.ini not present, skipped loading.
DrivenByMoss4Reaper-ParameterMaps.ini not present, skipped loading.
Akai MPC Live I/II, One, Force: Starting...
Disconnected.

It seems to be reporting missing files but the ZIP unpacked ok.
The MPC just sits 'waiting for computer', it connects to the network ok and is visible to the MPC app in windows.

Hope you can help, thanks.

The MPC One is running V 2.11.4
WIN 11 PC
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
16Gb RAM
All is fine. These messages are just for information (I really need to add additional info to this).
Your issue is that you need to configure the Akai MIDI Network driver. Make sure you did install it, then open its' control panel. On Windows it misses funnily the button texts (no idea why they do not fix that). Select your MPC from the drop down list and close the dialog. It should work now.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:52 AM   #2664
algx

Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply, much quicker in fact than any support from software I've paid for.

I've had the MPC for a two years or so, and I've been using the Akai Network MIDI app most of that time. I use it in Reaper with the Mackie control protocol with DAW control, which seems to work fine.

So I would be surprised if it is that app that is the problem now. I can confirm that the Mackie control was working when I used Reaper with your program. I've now removed the Mackie control but your program still runs then disconnects.

In your configuration window there are two MIDI ins and one out, the MPC connects with DAW control and Network MIDI in/out. Which is the correct order for connecting? I have tried all permutations but nothing seems to work.

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:20 AM   #2665
moss

Quote:
I've had the MPC for a two years or so, and I've been using the Akai Network MIDI app most of that time. I use it in Reaper with the Mackie control protocol with DAW control, which seems to work fine.
Then also check if you did disable them in the Reaper MIDI settings!

Quote:
In your configuration window there are two MIDI ins and one out, the MPC connects with DAW control and Network MIDI in/out. Which is the correct order for connecting? I have tried all permutations but nothing seems to work.
See here: https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1674652827

The log output should look like this:

Disconnected.
Connected to MPC Live / Live II / One
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDI-Config.png (8.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:31 AM   #2666
moss

DrivenByMoss 19.1.0 is online!

Get it from https://mossgrabers.de

• All devices
    • Fixed: Fixed some issues with the device bank could e.g. cause cursor LEDs to be not lit correctly.
    • Fixed: Formatted values of ReaEQ gain parameters were not correct.
  • Fire
    • New: Device and parameter page names are shown now in two lines instead of one.
  • Launchpad
    • New: Added clip length (loop area) mode. Press User/Custom on the Pro models. On the other models use the mode selection.
    • New: User parameter mode is now available on all models.
    • New: Pressing Device button twice switches to User parameter mode.
    • New: Rearranged the functions of the Scene buttons in Device mode. Last button opens now the browser.
    • New: Improved harmonization of mode colors.
    • Fixed: Pro Mk3: Tracks could not not be selected.
  • Maschine
    • Fixed: Erase+Master Knob did not work to reset parameters.
  • Push
    • New: The 'Clip' mode was renamed to 'Clip Length'. The length (actually the loop) is now colored in the clips' color.

Enjoy!

Last edited by moss; 01-25-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:14 PM   #2667
algx

Hi
Yes I had disconnected them but the MIDI configuration may be the problem.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Thanks for your patience.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:09 AM   #2668
algx

Hi
Just an update, I've changed the configuration to those you specified but it still disconnects.

I removed the DrivenByMoss4Reaper from the control device list and added back the Mackie Universal control and now that does not work. It's all very frustrating.

The MPC windows software does work fine and the Akai Network driver see's the MPC on the network. I've updated the MPC to the latest firmware, but it's made no difference.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2023, 04:09 AM   #2669
moss

Quote:
Hi
Just an update, I've changed the configuration to those you specified but it still disconnects.

I removed the DrivenByMoss4Reaper from the control device list and added back the Mackie Universal control and now that does not work. It's all very frustrating.

The MPC windows software does work fine and the Akai Network driver see's the MPC on the network. I've updated the MPC to the latest firmware, but it's made no difference.

Thanks
and you set the MPC to Control Mode? And it says "waiting for Ableton Live connection"?
Old 01-28-2023, 04:57 AM   #2670
algx

Hi
Yes, I try to put the MPC in Control mode but it hangs on the 'waiting for computer ' screen, I've never seen anything that's mentioned Ableton Live.

The Akai Network MIDI seems to be working fine, in that it sends/receives Midi clock and SPP. The DAW Control in/out seems to be the problem.

MPC control mode works seamlessly with the MPC windows app, so it's only in Reaper that it does not work.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2023, 11:02 AM   #2671
moss

Quote:
Hi
Yes, I try to put the MPC in Control mode but it hangs on the 'waiting for computer ' screen, I've never seen anything that's mentioned Ableton Live.

The Akai Network MIDI seems to be working fine, in that it sends/receives Midi clock and SPP. The DAW Control in/out seems to be the problem.

MPC control mode works seamlessly with the MPC windows app, so it's only in Reaper that it does not work.

Thanks
I see, you are in the wrong mode! On the MENU screen, you need to select CONTROL.
Then a new page appears which says "Waiting for communication from Ableton Live".
In contrast to the Controller Mode (which is solely dedicated to be used with the software version of the MPC) you can switch between this mode and the normal MPC modes.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:27 AM   #2672
Frascal

Hello,
I work with the Mackie Universal Control Pro and
I can't save the functions of the F1 to F5 buttons.
When I close Reaper the mackie does not close?
thanks
Frascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:40 AM   #2673
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frascal View Post
Hello,
I work with the Mackie Universal Control Pro and
I can't save the functions of the F1 to F5 buttons.
When I close Reaper the mackie does not close?
thanks
Could you please elaborate a bit more? What are you doing exactly?
What do you mean with "the mackie does not close"?
Old 01-30-2023, 08:08 AM   #2674
algx

Hi
Yes that was it, now up and running.
Just have to learn how to use it now.
Thanks.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #2675
Frascal

Hello,
First I want to apologize for asking a steep question before saying that this program is really very good.
For my first problem.
In the configuration/harware setup/profile window: I select Mackie MCU pro and it does not stay (it goes back to select profile).
I already find it strange...
Then, as I said in my first post, when I save an action on F1 (for example) it doesn't save.
This is probably related to my first problem.
Finally when I leave reaper, on the mackie control surface there is written "please start reaper", it's probably not very important, but I wonder if it's normal?
Thank you for your answers.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:57 AM   #2676
moss

Quote:
In the configuration/harware setup/profile window: I select Mackie MCU pro and it does not stay (it goes back to select profile).
That is totally fine. Choosing an option from that list 'only' sets the options below to the best values for the chosen device.

Quote:
Then, as I said in my first post, when I save an action on F1 (for example) it doesn't save.
Just tested and it works fine for me. Did you also choose "Action" from the drop downlist above the Action Number field?

Quote:
Finally when I leave reaper, on the mackie control surface there is written "please start reaper", it's probably not very important, but I wonder if it's normal?
Thank you for your answers.
This is intentional.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:03 AM   #2677
Frascal

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I solved my problem with F1_ F5 (I was trying to enter the actions in copy/paste).
I have another question: The buttons: input, aux, busses and output do nothing on my mackie control.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:40 AM   #2678
mim

Hello Moss,

Thank you very much for the development of this plugin, the time and energy you put in both the software and the very good manual.

I'm using it with a m platform, and it's working nicely once I figure out the jog was switching the modes, which wasn't clear. I had to add Midi Tools, and MidiLoop to have an onscreen "emultation" of the 8 LCD screen from a regular MCU.

The paramater mode is nice, as it makes it possible to use plugin without setup, and can be future optimised with the parameter edit. Much more intuitive than CSI. Good Job.

Still, I have a concern, I'd like the mixer to scroll with my Platform. Ideally if scroll to next bank or next chan on my platform, I'd like the REAPER's mixer to scroll to it. Ideally the first track of the platform, would allways be the first track shown in the mixer (The mixer would be scrolled to that track, if that is more clear).

I was thinking to do it by myself with a LUA persistent script, but I just realised there is no way to know which tracks are shown on the CSurf, so I won't be able to workaround this myself.

Would it be possible that DrivenByMoss add a kind of API function like this in reaper:
Code:
MediaTrack reaper.GetTrackDrivenByMoss(integer device, integer trackidx)
So I could know every track of the controler.

This would permit (via persistent LUA scripts) :
-To scroll the mixer, as the first track shown in the mixer is the first track on the Csurf Controler
-To temporary auto change layout every track shown on the Driven ByMoss controller
(to solve this issue : https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=262583 )

Another optional thing is, I would like the "write" button to switch to "Latch" rather than write (which is kind of never used), and the "read" button to "touch".

Thanks

Last edited by mim; 02-03-2023 at 07:46 AM.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:58 AM   #2679
Birdsmith

Any plans to add support for the Akai APC mini mk2? When I load it as the APC mini, certain functions work (play, volume faders), but they must have changed quite a bit because none of the DrivenByMoss functions work.
Birdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:25 AM   #2680
moss

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your answer.
I solved my problem with F1_ F5 (I was trying to enter the actions in copy/paste).
I have another question: The buttons: input, aux, busses and output do nothing on my mackie control.
* Aux (MCU AUX) - Switches to Arrange layout.
* Busses (MCU BUSSES) - Switches to Mix layout.
* Outputs (MCU OUTPUTS) - Switches to Edit layout.

-> this loads Screenset #01, #02 and #03 in Reaper.

* Automation Editor (MCU INPUTS) - Toggles the display of the automation editor pane

-> Maps to 'Envelope: Toggle show all active envelopes for all tracks' in Reaper