Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-19-2022, 05:44 AM   #481
Steve9600
Human being with feelings

Mikobuntu…
Avlinux is using a wine 6.22 I believe. This is because of the need for wineasio.

Btw what is [ann] stand for in the title of this thread?
Steve9600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:49 AM   #482
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9600 View Post
I ran into the problem with wine-staging 7.21 described in the release notes. Didn’t help.
I am on Debian 11.5 and using pipewire. So downgraded to 7.20 and everything works well.
I tried linvst and while it did the conversions Reaper will not pick them up on its scan.
So I like your program it works for me. Thanks for all the good work.
I’ll keep an eye out for a new update.
Yeah like I said, Wine 7.21 still breaks the builds up on GitHub. You may be able to it to work if you build it without the --unity=on flag and/or without VST3 support (since Wine 7.21 also caused a race condition in the initialization of the GUIDs). But when you need to do that much hacking to potentially work around a Wine bug, who knows what else will be broken. So it's probably best to stick with Wine Staging 7.20 for now.

Quote:
Btw what is [ann] stand for in the title of this thread?
ANNouncement. Developers usually prefix announcement posts in mailing lists and forums with that when they announce new releases of their software.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #483
Steve9600

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
Yeah like I said, Wine 7.21 still breaks the builds up on GitHub. You may be able to it to work if you build it without the --unity=on flag and/or without VST3 support (since Wine 7.21 also caused a race condition in the initialization of the GUIDs). But when you need to do that much hacking to potentially work around a Wine bug, who knows what else will be broken. So it's probably best to stick with Wine Staging 7.20 for now.
I agree!

ANNouncement. Developers usually prefix announcement posts in mailing lists and forums with that when they announce new releases of their software.
Thanks I did not know that
Old 11-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #484
/AND/

Hi there,

yabridge started crashing Reaper out of a sudden on Fedora 37. Just yesterday I had it working great, and I think I did 'dnf upgrade' which upgraded a bunch of packages, can't recall which ones. Now it says 'Failed to start the Wine plugin host; check yabridge's output for more ...' (the message is truncated) for plenty of Windows VSTs.

I thought it was related to that Wine 7.21 issue, but wine --version prints: 'wine-7.20 (Staging)' for me (BTW should I still use staging?). Reaper terminal gives no clue except for this message:

'WARNING: Your locale is broken. Yabridge was kind enough to monkey patch it for you in this DAW session, but you should probably take a look at it

terminate called without an active exception'

How can I precisely analyse what's going on? There's no yabridge log in .vst nor .vst3.

Thanks,
- A

BTW Where's that Discord server at? I don't find a link to it anywhere ...
/AND/ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #485
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
Hi there,

yabridge started crashing Reaper out of a sudden on Fedora 37. Just yesterday I had it working great, and I think I did 'dnf upgrade' which upgraded a bunch of packages, can't recall which ones. Now it says 'Failed to start the Wine plugin host; check yabridge's output for more ...' (the message is truncated) for plenty of Windows VSTs.

I thought it was related to that Wine 7.21 issue, but wine --version prints: 'wine-7.20 (Staging)' for me (BTW should I still use staging?). Reaper terminal gives no clue except for this message:

'WARNING: Your locale is broken. Yabridge was kind enough to monkey patch it for you in this DAW session, but you should probably take a look at it

terminate called without an active exception'

How can I precisely analyse what's going on? There's no yabridge log in .vst nor .vst3.
Probably start by trying to run yabridge-host.exe standalone. Yabridgectl will also do this for you when you run yabridgectl sync though. If you installed it through your package manager you can just run
Code:
yabridge-host.exe
in a terminal. (don't put wine in front of there) If your yabridge files are in ~/.local/share/yabridge, you can run
Code:
~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridge-host.exe
to do the same thing (again, no wine). That should show you a usage message. If it does, there are no problems with Wine and your issue probably lies elsewhere (and you should maybe also look at that broken locale).

Quote:
BTW Where's that Discord server at? I don't find a link to it anywhere ...
Right here. If you need to find it again, it's also linked at the top of the yabridge readme, in the troubleshooting section in the readme, and when creating an issue on the repo.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #486
/AND/

Thanks Robert for your quick reply. I fixed it by creating a new container and reinstalling wine. It seems Wine was the problem, although can't pinpoint why.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:18 AM   #487
Steve9600

Default Yabridge discord link

@robert-vdh
I keep getting a error that the discord link has expired or invalid.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:14 AM   #488
robbert-vdh

Quote:
@robert-vdh
I keep getting a error that the discord link has expired or invalid.
Link's working for me. Both from this thread and from the yabridge home page. Maybe try copy-pasting it manually? You can also copy-paste pyNeweqadf on Discord itself when you go to Add a server -> Join a server.

https://discord.gg/pyNeweqadf
Old 11-24-2022, 06:19 AM   #489
Steve9600

Default Yabridge discord link

I have a support request I’m waiting on a reply.
I live in a dead hole for mobile phones and that is what they use for verifying you.
So that may be the issue, we will find out.
Thanks for the reply I will post the responce.

Edit: a mobile phone is required.
So will keep in touch here.

Last edited by Steve9600; 12-01-2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #490
krahosk

Thank you for the advisory notice concerning Wine 7.21 and Yabridge compatibility issues. I assume the same goes for Wine 7.22? Has anyone tested it?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #491
Steve9600

Default Wine 7.22

Haven’t . I think Robert-vdh will update this thread when fix is out.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #492
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Thank you for the advisory notice concerning Wine 7.21 and Yabridge compatibility issues. I assume the same goes for Wine 7.22? Has anyone tested it?
Yeah they haven't fixed the bug yet. Since yabridge is basically the only software relying on this I can imagine few of the Wine devs prioritizing this. One of the devs just added a major severity to the bug report so hopefully someone will look at it soon. I was kinda hoping it would be fixed in time for 7.22. If you don't do a unity build (which builds faster and optimizes a bit better) yabridge doesn't crash or freeze immediately. So I may see if that actually works reliably and then push another update just so things kinda work again with newer Wine versions tomorrow.

The main reason why I didn't do that already is because working around low level bugs this way is just juggling chainsaws, and when it works it's great but anything can happen so I thought just telling people to stick with an older version that's guaranteed to work is probably better than using a newer version that may or may not work.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #493
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 5.0.2, Yet Another hotfix release for Wine 7.22

The last yabridge release contains a workaround for a bug in Wine 7.21 that would cause yabridge to hang indefinitely on startup, but the builds up on GitHub were still affected by a different part the bug (who knew unpredictable low level bugs can be unpredictable?). I was hoping Wine would have fixed the bug in time for Wine 7.22, but the bug still hasn't been fixed and it doesn't look like it's going to get much attention anytime soon. So this release mostly changes how the packaged versions of yabridge are built to hopefully allow them to work with recent Wine versions again. Since all of these bandaids won't fix the actual underlying Wine bug, I still can't guarantee that everything works as it should until Wine fixes this. If you still encounter freezes or crashes with yabridge 5.0.2, do consider downgrading back to Wine Staging 7.20.

The only actual change in this release is a change to how redraws work. This may make resizing and dragging editor windows around a lot smoother, especially when using window managers that send excessive events when a window is moved like in Cinnamon and XFCE.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/5.0.2
Old 11-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #494
Pinknoise

Is there any advantage using CLAP windows over VST and VST3 ?

Better overhead or compatibility ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:29 AM   #495
Steve9600

Default From u-he

https://u-he.com/community/clap/

They can comment better on this than I can… I have yet to try it out. But I will soon .

Sorry this post was posted to the wrong thread..

Last edited by Steve9600; 11-29-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:35 AM   #496
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Is there any advantage using CLAP windows over VST and VST3 ?

Better overhead or compatibility ?
Yes the overhead will be a bit lower, you get some niceties like non-destructive modulation and polyphonic modulation in plugins that support in (not in REAPER of course), and resizing is a lot smoother.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #497
Pinknoise

Quote:
Yes the overhead will be a bit lower, you get some niceties like non-destructive modulation and polyphonic modulation in plugins that support in (not in REAPER of course), and resizing is a lot smoother.
Resizing is alreay a very good improvement.

I read about CLAP already my question was more towards will it run better more stable ?
Old 11-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #498
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
I read about CLAP already my question was more towards will it run better more stable ?
I just gave you the answer. Read my comment again. Bridging overhead will be a bit lower, resizing is smoother, you'll get some additional nice features, and at least right now there's much less API and implementation specific weirdness that needs to be worked around.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #499
Pinknoise

Quote:
I just gave you the answer. Read my comment again. Bridging overhead will be a bit lower, resizing is smoother, you'll get some additional nice features, and at least right now there's much less API and implementation specific weirdness that needs to be worked around.
Thank you so I will clap until proven otherwise.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:01 AM   #500
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Hey Rob, I'm having an issue with the latest version of Yabridge, every time I sync it seems to create multiple versions of the Yabridge folder each one within the other making multiple copies of the plugins.

Can you please tell me how to avoid this?
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:07 AM   #501
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Hey Rob, I'm having an issue with the latest version of Yabridge, every time I sync it seems to create multiple versions of the Yabridge folder each one within the other making multiple copies of the plugins.

Can you please tell me how to avoid this?
Uh I don't know what you did but you probably made a mistake somewhere when you added your plugin directories. Check `yabridgectl list`. Yabridgectl should catch most user errors, like if you tried adding ~/.vst to the plugin directories, but it may not catch everything.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:18 AM   #502
Steve9600

This happened to me, by running yabridgectl add each time I added vsts.
Deleted the extra folders ran yabridgectl sync and that cleared up the issue.
Now when I add vsts I add them to 1 dir and run sync also when I update yabridge
All I need to do is rename the old ./ local/yabridge to oldyabridge extract the update to ./local/yabridge run yabridgectl sync and it updates the vsts and the if I updated wine that will make the new wine work with yabridge.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #503
Steve9600

Default Tried 5.02 today

Upgraded wine to 7.22 and upgraded yabridge to 5.02…..fast vst loads in reaper.
Reaper performance meter instead of using 1.50 average for midiguitar 2 with one of their presets it
Took just 0.29- 0.35
Added another track with same input and a vst and it took only 0.45-0.50 of the fix cpu.
Great work!

Fixed this “issue” I went ahead and installed some other updates that included some libs and it works flawlessly. The one process did not quit but it was using 0%. So assume that process staying up is normal.

Here it is…
One question…issue? One of the vst processes took 13% of the cpu and after shutting down reaper it did not terminate. Closed it manually. Edit… see fix above.
You may assume that I was watching the task manager.
I don’t know this might be normal or not, everything was running smooth.
Anyway love the results!

Last edited by Steve9600; 11-30-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #504
robbert-vdh

Quote:
One question…issue? One of the vst processes took 13% of the cpu and after shutting down reaper it did not terminate. Closed it manually.
You may assume that I was watching the task manager.
I don’t know this might be normal or not, everything was running smooth.
Anyway love the results!
Even if the plugin does something weird that would cause the process to hang indefinitely, as long as it doesn't stall the Windows message queue there is watchdog timer that checks whether REAPER is still running every 30 seconds and terminates the process if it isn't: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...mmon.h#L90-L96
And when REAPER unloads the plugin it also SIGINTs the process in case it has not yet shut down.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #505
Steve9600

A system update or just reloading the program a few times fixed it.
Still left running but not using any resources.
Works for me.
Thanks
Old 11-30-2022, 11:26 AM   #506
/AND/

I have a general question about yabridge: why does it use staging, and can we use regular wine instead? Just trying to understand how things work.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #507
robbert-vdh

Quote:
I have a general question about yabridge: why does it use staging, and can we use regular wine instead? Just trying to understand how things work.
You could, but, why would you? Wine Staging includes additional patches and will get you better compatibility and sometimes also better performance.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:55 AM   #508
/AND/

Well, because staging is riddled with experimental patches that might break things? Is staging a requirement for yabridge or just good to have?
Old 11-30-2022, 11:56 AM   #509
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Well, because staging is riddled with experimental patches that might break things? Is staging a requirement for yabridge or just good to have?
It's not a requirement. You'll just run into more things that don't work if you don't use it, so why not just use it?
Old 11-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #510
/AND/

I see. Well, I guess it's a balancing act between suffering through experimental wine patches and suffering through other things not working through yabridge.

I'm using it now, I was just thinking whether I should go over to regular wine. For now I'll stay. I'm looking into replacing all Windows VSTs with Linux counterparts anyway, so ...
Old 12-01-2022, 01:28 AM   #511
fabio77

Quote:
I made the experience that the SINE Player don't work with normal wine. Over many versions of wine (I think from about 7.10) I tried several times. The player does work only with wine-staging.

If all your plugins do work with normal wine, than I guess you can use it. And if you encounter a problem try wine-staging.
fabio77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #512
Steve9600

Default Yabridge 5.02

Quote:
Even if the plugin does something weird that would cause the process to hang indefinitely, as long as it doesn't stall the Windows message queue there is watchdog timer that checks whether REAPER is still running every 30 seconds and terminates the process if it isn't: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...mmon.h#L90-L96
And when REAPER unloads the plugin it also SIGINTs the process in case it has not yet shut down.
Today all processes are terminating when Reaper closes.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #513
foxAsteria

Quote:
I see. Well, I guess it's a balancing act between suffering through experimental wine patches and suffering through other things not working through yabridge.
Have your cak and eat it too; use Bottles. I have around 5 with different wine versions and settings to accommodate all my finicky plugins.

I guess it's actually wine that's so finicky tho...learned the hard way you can break wine for some things while fixing it for others, so best to isolate the difficult ones.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:07 AM   #514
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Have your cak and eat it too; use Bottles. I have around 5 with different wine versions and settings to accommodate all my finicky plugins.

I guess it's actually wine that's so finicky tho...learned the hard way you can break wine for some things while fixing it for others, so best to isolate the difficult ones.
Bottles tends to do a lot of...stuff by default that may break some things though, so be aware. And you'll need to tell it to use system Wine instead of its own Wine versions.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:27 AM   #515
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
I made the experience that the SINE Player don't work with normal wine. Over many versions of wine (I think from about 7.10) I tried several times. The player does work only with wine-staging.

If all your plugins do work with normal wine, than I guess you can use it. And if you encounter a problem try wine-staging.
Yeah, makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

I actually use Bottles, for a completely different reason. What I did was install FL Studio in Bottles, but then I had to install some VSTs inside it. I am mostly working in Reaper now, so what I do is add the Bottles path to the VSTs in yabridge. I do this to avoid installing these VSTs twice. Yabridge uses my system Wine staging, while FL Studio uses the Bottles one. A weird combo, but seems to be working without any issues for now.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #516
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 5.0.3, fully functional with all Wine versions again (for now)

The Wine bug that broke yabridge in combination with Wine 7.21, 7.22, and 8.0-rc1 has finally been fixed. This did require yabridge to be rebuilt against Wine 8.0-rc2, but on the flipside these updated yabridge builds will once again work with every Wine version after 5.7, including 7.21, 7.22, and 8.0-rc1. This yabridge release simply reverts the workarounds from yabridge 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 and provides updated builds that work with all current Wine versions.

The full changelog (containing mostly notes and instructions for package maintainers) can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/5.0.3
Old 12-23-2022, 09:34 PM   #517
fabio77

Thank you very much. Then I finally can take wine from my package-managers ignore lists

And also thank you for all your reporting, regarding this issue!
fabio77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:56 AM   #518
krahosk

Those updates are simply wonderful. Thank you Robbert.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 12:59 AM   #519
swindus

Excellent, thank you!
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #520
heda

ok so now I think I have to uninstall the AUR yabridge-bin 5.0.2 version and install the manjaro yabridge 5.0.3 from the official repositories, right? Because something was updated on manjaro and 5.0.2 doesn't work anymore

Quote:
Warning: Could not run 'yabridge-host.exe'. Wine reported the following error:

<no_output>

Make sure that you have downloaded the correct version of yabridge for your distro.
This can also happen when using a version of Wine that's not compatible with this version of yabridge, in
which case you'll need to upgrade Wine. Your current Wine version is '8.1 (Staging)'. See the link
below for instructions on how to upgrade your installation of Wine.

edit: installed to 5.0.3 and all works perfectly.

Last edited by heda; 02-17-2023 at 12:38 PM.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote