Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-13-2022, 10:35 AM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default How to run Reaper in 'terminal' for troubleshooting...

Just wanted to share a tip for running Reaper in a terminal. Go to where the REAPER ICON is... you know the icon ('shaped like a gear') that you click-on to open the DAW... RIGHT CLICK on the ICON... COPY it... Then open a 'terminal' and THEN PASTE it in the terminal and hit ENTER!

hope it helps... those who can't figure out how to run Reaper in a terminal.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:52 AM   #2
XoechZ

Why so complicated?
I simply have to open a terminal, type reaper and press enter.
Depends on how you have installed Reaper, I think.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
Why so complicated?
I simply have to open a terminal, type reaper and press enter.
Depends on how you have installed Reaper, I think.
Yes - it is more complicated but simple FOR those who have trouble doing it or who may have deprecated files/duplicate shortcuts/etc and are lost. It is for someone who can not use ./reaper or 'opt' commands etc (newbs)tc friend.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #4
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Yes - it is more complicated but simple FOR those who have trouble doing it or who may have deprecated files/duplicate shortcuts/etc and are lost. It is for someone who can not use ./reaper or 'opt' commands etc (newbs)tc friend.
If you open a terminal you generally won't be in the REAPER install folder...therefore XoechZ is correct that you should only need to use the "reaper" command (no ./ required). But, be aware that running in the terminal will be slower given all the text output. Always better to run via the icon whenever possible (always?).

And for clarification, 'opt' is a directory.

Last edited by chmaha; 05-13-2022 at 11:21 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:18 AM   #5
XoechZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I understand.
I always forget that I am a pure terminal user. I do not even have a desktop environment installed :-)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:42 PM   #6
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
If you open a terminal you generally won't be in the REAPER install folder...therefore XoechZ is correct that you should only need to use the "reaper" command (no ./ required). But, be aware that running in the terminal will be slower given all the text output. Always better to run via the icon whenever possible (always?).

And for clarification, 'opt' is a directory.
TY Beth. I was saying if you just type 'reaper' etc... in a terminal AND this does not work... you CAN 'troubleshoot by in a terminal'. (for someone that can not find a way to run in terminal) tc
Old 05-14-2022, 01:08 AM   #7
MikeLacey

@XoechZ

That's interesting, do you have any issues or advantages from running REAPER without a desktop?
Old 05-14-2022, 01:37 AM   #8
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLacey View Post
@XoechZ

That's interesting, do you have any issues or advantages from running REAPER without a desktop?
I suspect he's running an X session but not a window manager or desktop environment?
Old 05-14-2022, 01:38 AM   #9
XoechZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLacey View Post
@XoechZ

I use the i3 window manager and work very puristic. Nor desktop, no wallpaper, no bling bling. A disadvantage for some may be that you have to configure your system by yourself from ground up, using the terminal and config files. My programs are started with keyboard shortcuts, like Super+r for Reaper, Super+f for Firefox and so on.
The biggest advantage for me is that I like it this way. In my eye, a OS is a runtime environment for my software. Nothing more and nothing less. I only install things that I really need, and I have blacklisted all devices I don't need (wifi, Bluetooth, webcam).
This way, when my system is booted, it takes less than 300MB RAM.

But, as said, this way of (ancient) working is not useful for everyone and it takes quite a bit of learning and research to get it up and running. On the other side you get a blazing fast and stable system not only for audio. Playing games on Steam is a dream and performance is much much better than in Windows.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:00 AM   #10
chmaha

Quote:
I use the i3 window manager and work very puristic. Nor desktop, no wallpaper, no bling bling. A disadvantage for some may be that you have to configure your system by yourself from ground up, using the terminal and config files. My programs are started with keyboard shortcuts, like Super+r for Reaper, Super+f for Firefox and so on.
The biggest advantage for me is that I like it this way. In my eye, a OS is a runtime environment for my software. Nothing more and nothing less. I only install things that I really need, and I have blacklisted all devices I don't need (wifi, Bluetooth, webcam).

But, as said, this way of (ancient) working is not useful for everyone and it takes quite a bit of learning and research to get it up and running. On the other side you get a blazing fast and stable system not only for audio. Playing games on Steam is a dream and performance is much much better than in Windows.
Sure you don't want to squeeze out even more performance with no window manager and just using xinit?
Old 05-14-2022, 02:12 AM   #11
XoechZ

Quote:
Sure you don't want to squeeze out even more performance with no window manager and just using xinit?
I have never tried that, but I don't think it works. You need some kind of window manager, which draws your windows on the screen. I3 uses xinit. I boot into a tty and start the environment with 'startx' and a well configured .xinitrc file which substitutes a login manager.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:48 AM   #12
chmaha

Quote:
I have never tried that, but I don't think it works. You need some kind of window manager, which draws your windows on the screen. I3 uses xinit. I boot into a tty and start the environment with 'startx' and a well configured .xinitrc file which substitutes a login manager.
I'm pretty sure you can just run xinit (in the background ideally). No window manager required. Don't go breaking your system to try it though
Old 05-14-2022, 02:52 AM   #13
XoechZ

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can just run xinit (in the background ideally). No window manager required. Don't go breaking your system to try it though
Not a good idea.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Window_manager

A lot of good info if you want to dig deeper into that topic.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:01 AM   #14
chmaha

Quote:
Not a good idea.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Window_manager

A lot of good info if you want to dig deeper into that topic.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xin...window_manager

I'm not sure why it's not a good idea. They even say:
Quote:
This can be useful to launch graphical games, where excluding the overhead of a compositor can help improve the game's performance.
Anyway, I'm not telling everyone to delete their desktop environments and window managers, just that it's possible...

Last edited by chmaha; 05-14-2022 at 03:17 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:15 AM   #15
XoechZ

"It is possible to start only specific applications without a window manager, although most likely this is only useful with a single application shown in full-screen mode."

As said, I have not tried it yet. But I believe that you get problems as soon as you try to open a plugin window in Reaper. So not really useful.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:18 AM   #16
chmaha

Quote:
"It is possible to start only specific applications without a window manager, although most likely this is only useful with a single application shown in full-screen mode."

As said, I have not tried it yet. But I believe that you get problems as soon as you try to open a plugin window in Reaper. So not really useful.
This might well be true. We won't know until someone takes the plunge
Old 05-14-2022, 08:47 AM   #17
MikeLacey

Quote:
You can; I've done it by mistake a few times way back when. It's not a good experience!!
Old 05-14-2022, 08:49 AM   #18
MikeLacey

I had to use a terminal window to watch stderr just now - and it was useful, told me where the issue was.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #19
Mikobuntu

Interesting topic, another thing maybe worth looking into is running Reaper from it's own standalone x-session, I have did this before with Renoise and everything seemed to work ok, There may be a need to start some services and load some modules at boot tho for Reaper.
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #20
s wave

Quote:

I3 is real real good agreed. (fedora ok)